Used Shoes?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Some clothes are meant to be worn. Some are meant to be removed. I’ll never forget what my son’s gf wore to a sweet sixteen. I said to my wife, “We got trouble.”

Did your wife holler at him?

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When you don't have money for new shoes, you buy used shoes.

Otherwise, you buy new ones.

After my maternal grandfather passed away, I somehow ended up with a pair of his work shoes. They fit pretty good, but more importantly, I just felt better when I wore them. I could be down, then change to his pair of shoes and be better for it.

But they got savaged pretty badly in Katrina, and didn't really get the job done anymore. I finally disposed of them, earlier this year.

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
After my maternal grandfather passed away, I somehow ended up with a pair of his work shoes. They fit pretty good, but more importantly, I just felt better when I wore them. I could be down, then change to his pair of shoes and be better for it.

But they got savaged pretty badly in Katrina, and didn't really get the job done anymore. I finally disposed of them, earlier this year.

That's a bummer.

Doctor of Teleocity
41352216-8597-48EB-8302-695573527AF1.jpeg

My Mother bought these black Red Wing boots for me in the ‘90’s.
02AE61CF-091E-410D-A744-781390B1D62A.jpeg

They are on their last legs.

29CA32F1-0B8C-44F1-BC4F-E9491F597D05.jpeg

I bought the brown Red Wing boots on the left about a year ago.

CB0008FA-4309-403B-9A7C-B36654958376.jpeg

You can see how many steps I’ve taken at work in just one year by the wear of the tread.

Almost all the other shoes I have were bought at the thrift store. I spray them with disinfectant and put them in a ziplock bag, squeeze the air out, and let them sit for a couple of days.

Also, I use my boot dryer every day. I take my boots off when I get home, put them on the dryer, plug it in, and they sit there for 12 hours. It kills bacteria with steady, low heat and dries out any sweat, etc.

Every couple of months I plop down about 10 dollars at Goodwill for a couple pairs of “dead man’s shoes.”

Richardtij

TDPRI Member
It's easy to find good second hand clothes but it's difficult to get worthy second hands shoes. I was trying to find a pair of the sneakers I really liked but didn't have money to get from the official shop...spent a lot of time and nothing, but...I was able to find plenty of shoes for $10 or even $6-7 which looked cool from the first sight.

Still, I'm pretty uncomfy to wear anything that was used before me. I've finally found the Air Jordan I needed on forstepstyle online shop for a reasonable price...I wished I could find them for $5 tho...

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
I have bought used boots and shoes at the thrift store. Aside from a couple pair of cool older boots that were in great condition, I have found other practically new footwear. In fact, “practically new“ is my criteria for sneakers.

mudbelly

Tele-Meister
My wife and I seldom buy new from the store clothes relying on thrift stores for everything but undies and socks. We always look like we are with the band.

I'd buy used shoes, nice ones, not old casual but with my big foot I seldom find my size. I have purchased from repair stores where there were shoes fixed up but not picked up.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I bought some used dress shirts off Ebay and my wife got skeeved out. So I imagine used shoes would be a hard no.

Drew617

Tele-Holic
View attachment 899351

My Mother bought these black Red Wing boots for me in the ‘90’s.
View attachment 899352
They are on their last legs.

View attachment 899353
I bought the brown Red Wing boots on the left about a year ago.

View attachment 899354
You can see how many steps I’ve taken at work in just one year by the wear of the tread.

Almost all the other shoes I have were bought at the thrift store. I spray them with disinfectant and put them in a ziplock bag, squeeze the air out, and let them sit for a couple of days.

Also, I use my boot dryer every day. I take my boots off when I get home, put them on the dryer, plug it in, and they sit there for 12 hours. It kills bacteria with steady, low heat and dries out any sweat, etc.

Every couple of months I plop down about 10 dollars at Goodwill for a couple pairs of “dead man’s shoes.”

I'm very much a white collar worker for a long time now. Also 6'2, about 250 pounds, and have a 20 year old spine injury. So I'm rather hard on shoes, reluctantly spend for "good" or at least correct ones, and need to look relatively sharp at work.

You point out something that should be taught in school: Shoes need to rest, or at least dry completely between wearings, if you want them to last. You can usually pick out the guy who owns a single pair of loafers for the office.

It's less expensive to cycle through 2-3 pairs of Weejuns throughout the week than wear the same one. Looks, feels, and smells better too.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Sure. I buy everything used if I can find it. Obviously you need to be very selective, you're not going to buy just anything.
I have sold used shoes too, on eBay. In fact I am just getting ready to list a pair of hiking boots. Wore them a couple times, but they're too small. Too much time has passed and they are too worn to return. But they probably have a total of less than 10 miles on them. They are almost perfect. I'm sure I can get $50 or so for them.

Obviously you wouldn't buy something heavily used or worn. But every time I have bought or sold shoes/boots they have been practically new.

Last edited:

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
I have bought several pairs of used Allen Edmonds boots and shoes. If they look like they were not worn or barely worn, and it is all leather inside (no place for hiding any nasty) I don’t have a problem with it.

I bought some used ice skates too actually. Seller got em and realized they needed a different size after tryin em out. They looked like new to me, no funk. Ended up being great skates.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
We get a lot of stuff from thrift stores, but not shoes.

However, back in the mists of time (when my idea of 'style' was looking like a cross between a member of The Clash and a member of the road crew for Gong or Hawkwind), I bought (pretty cheaply) a couple of pairs of ex-Nato surplus paratrooper 'jump' boots. Hardly worn, they still took a bit of 'breaking in' but lasted for years. I wonder if you can still get 'em?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
No thanks. But there is a large culture of sneaker trading so it obviously doesn’t bother everyone.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I have bought them. I have taken them as gifts. I have been poor. I prefer to be the first owner of footwear and clothing, but if needs must, no problem.

This is me exactly. I was raised in a poor household. I have done it, and I would again if necessary. That's why they make Lysol.

I don't think I will need to buy used shoes again, but the future's uncertain and the end is always near.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
How does everyone here feel about buying and using second hand shoes? I've had second hand computers, furniture, houses, cars, guitars, women. Why should second hand shoes seem...weird?
I'm not against the idea but that old saying makes me wonder why bother if you're only going to get another mile out of that other man's shoes.

Last edited: