1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Used or New Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, Oct 28, 2020.

1. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

In 75 I bought a new CSL Les Paul Standard, in 2001 a Yamaha LL-11e, my partscaster Strat was built with new parts in 2003-4, and my KAM ukulele bass in 2012. I no longer have the CSL, but still have the rest, along with about thirty other instruments bought used.

In 75 Les Paul copies were black, the CSL was the only one I coud find in sunburst, and with a scratch on the upper bout (which buffed out) it was available at around half of list price. I'd wanted an LL-11e for a couple of years, list was £750, street price was around £600, and Guitar Village had one in their annual "Boss gone mad" one day sale for £450 including a hardcase. The partscaster was built with parts acquired over the course of a couple of years of careful shopping to build the exact guitar I wanted. Solid bodied uke basses were few and far between in 2012. The Kala was available at upwards of £450 in the UK, which was more than I wanted to spend. There were no used examples available, but I managed to find a blemished KAM in the US which cost me £160 including shipping to the UK and local taxes. My other basses are now rarely played.

On the used market I can find the guitars I am looking for at a price where I can sell them without incurring a loss should I change my mind. I also buy a few that I did not know I was looking for (such as my Explorer). Most recently my 50's Baja was bought in as new condition in 2018 for £375 including a gig bag. In 2017 I bought a 2015 Les Paul Junior, as new with the gold case and robot tuners for the same price. I know that someone has to buy new in order for me to have the used guitars to chose from, but I will avoid it if I can.

Andy Summers likes this.
  2. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

First telecaster was used. Paid 350.00 for it in quarters in 1978.

3. Renegade

Renegade Tele-Meister

I have a mix of both new and used, for me it depends on what I want and the deal I get.

Andy Summers likes this.
  4. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

I prefer to buy used but am certainly not afraid to buy new from time to time.

Andy Summers likes this.
  5. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Depends on what it is and how it's priced. No preference either way.

Andy Summers likes this.
  6. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Great responses folks!!! Looks like used is more popular. It's funny...for me, of course the $$ savings is a factor, but I don't know...I feel like there is more "mojo" with a used guitar. I'm totally not against new and there is one I want right now. Will be a bit though. But anyway, when I go into GC, I don't even look at the new wall most of the time. Unless there is a new one out that I have my eye on, which is NOT often. I go right to the used guitars. That's where I get excited. You kind of know what's going to be on the new wall. The used wall is where you find, like I said earlier, the "treasures".

Again, though. Nothing against buying new. I, of course, have and certainly will again.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  7. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The only "mojo" I ever detected on used gear was either cigarette smoke or body fluids. I immediately tear down and scrub. :eek:

Andy Summers likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't have a rule or anything, but in general I'm far more likely to buy used than new. Both of my acoustics were bought new though. It is just up to the individual guitar for me.

Andy Summers likes this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Ive bought probably 30+ used guitars and no new ones for the past 6-7 years.

That is until this year, when I bought 3 brand new ones. I still own one of the three new guitars. My other 5 guitars are all used.

Unless it’s a deal that I can’t pass up, or I can’t find a specific guitar that I really want, I’ll continue buying used guitars.

Andy Summers likes this.
  10. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Depends on the guitar - I've been a 60/40 split - 60% used, 40% new. Either way, I've worked out deals.

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Pretty much the only new guitars I buy are blowout deals, but then again I buy most everything used * Some exceptions would be socks and underwear.

* that means more money available for guitars :cool:

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

BT is onto something;
    I've bought Levi's listed as "new-other" for $20/pair. I've bought $120 boots for $50.
    In my teens, I totally bought concert shirts at yard sales (in fact, my tom petty shirt is about as old as me...).
    When I was under 10 years old, the last Nintendo game i bought new was Kirbys Adventure in '94 (at kaybee toys) and for Super Nintendo Super metroid in '97 (at Circuit City I believe).

We were not rich. My paternal grandmother was a yard sale fiend. Goodwill too.

I think some people have tendencies to buy new. I dont know them per se, buy all the used stuff had to be used by someone, right?

But, I will not use second hand socks and underwear. Nor will I let my kids. Some mojo people can keep to themselves.

Andy Summers likes this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

I'm probably about 50/50 on new versus used purchases. Prefer new but won't turn down a good used one. Definetily better prices on used, but there are no music stores anywhere close to me so better to buy new in case of a return possibility.

Andy Summers likes this.
  14. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Well, it depends . . .

The last two I purchased were new, but were priced as low or lower than what I could find used at the time. Literally, hundreds less than the advertised prices. The two before those were used, in like new condition and fairly priced.

Andy Summers and KS6V like this.
  15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Convenience* and price determine for me.

I'm not paying extra to have some basement indie seller ship a used guitar. For one thing internet sales of used guitars are over priced, even at POS, due to perceived "convenience" and shipping costs. *Paying premium for a used guitar I've never set eyes nor hands on is NOT a convenience. But getting a new guitar from a big box seller at 15-20% off MAP, free shipping, and no hassle 45 day return, is. For used, it's local sales only. Cheaper, and can feel out the instrument. Cash or trade, in person POS. No sketchy CC or paypal buying schemes. If buying and selling locally becomes inconvenient, it means I'm buying and selling too much. Better to wait for the next big out of box sale or SDOTH or whatever.

Andy Summers likes this.
  16. ladewd

ladewd TDPRI Member

I’m a keyboard player but have been playing guitar as a hobby for almost as many years. My first nice guitar was a used ‘72 Hardtail Strat. It sat under my bed for almost 20yrs & I sold it at huge profit to pay a tax bill.

When I moved out to CA, I decided to start playing more guitar. I’ve collected about 7 guitars (Keys are expensive too!). All of my current guitars were bought brand new. Like cars, I like to know the history behind what I buy, so I’m the only one responsible for any dings or scratches etc. (and I have a story for each one!). Also, I obviously always buy keys new because they’re obsolete the day you bring them home. I have a keyboard mindset, not a guitar one. I do look for good deals like used buyers. Like back in 2003, I bought a new PRS Singlecut Goldtop for only $1600. I’m actually toying with the idea of selling it now. Also I’ve learned that unlike keyboards, I never buy a guitar without playing it first.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Andy Summers likes this.
  17. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I think about buying new guitars - right now I've been thinking about a couple of Reverends and a couple of G&Ls for several years - but when I buy I almost always buy used. Actually, when I have a "new" guitar these days it's usually a partscaster made mostly from scavenging parts from guitars I already own.

Andy Summers likes this.
  18. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

This is not a new Thread idea...in fact it is quite Used.

but since we’re on the subject, I almost exclusively buy used. That trend is not new.

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. Chikubi

Chikubi Tele-Meister

I buy new, and don’t care for used. I’ve never bought a guitar yet that I didn’t get for 15-20% off, so whatever cost benefit used might provide just isn’t there for me. I’m also not interested in flipping through guitars constantly or owning large numbers of them. I have one, maybe two that are the best at what they do and that’s it. I know them intimately and know best how to get the most out of them.

Of course, I can’t say I’d never buy a used guitar, but it’d have to be something really special that you simply can’t get new whatsoever, and it’d have to be absolutely pristine or I’m not interested.

Andy Summers likes this.
  20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I've bought two new guitars in my life. One was my first-ever electric, an Epiphone EA-250 bought in 1975. I just fell in love with it in the music store, and that was that. The other was a Squier Bullet Telecaster bought last year when they were on sale for one-third off. At that discount, new ones were cheaper than what people wanted for used ones, so why not?

The dozen or so others I've bought have all been used. Finding something you want in the grab-bag of the second-hand market is more rewarding than picking it off the wall of a big store. It's not just guitars. I like flea markets and consignment stores in general. Pawn shops not as much; they have an air of desperation that dampens my enthusiasm.

Andy Summers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.