1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Used or New Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

...or any guitar for that matter when buying or searching.

I have come to find I prefer used guitars over new. I don't even get excited searching new guitars most of the time these days, but set me free on a used hunt and I'm high as a kite. I feel like this is where the treasures are.

Is it just me or do you too fall into this?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I'm the same. I've only bought a couple new guitars in my life. I have bought around 100 used ones (I didn't keep them all obviously. I have around 20 right now)

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Always used.

gmann, teleplayr, jman72 and 5 others like this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have 5 electrics that came my way previously owned. My Telecaster, since modified, was probably used by someone who lost interest because except for the generic gig bag, it looked pretty much untouched. I found my Gretsch Annie on eBay in absolutely pristine condition. My Gibson SG purchased at an Epiphone price. It's a robot converted back to standard tuners and electronics. My American Standard Strat was bought in VG condition used. My FCS '69 Strat saw action on the FCS Road Show. I found my acoustic on the wall in a mom and pop in California and found my amp on the floor in a shop in Fredericksburg, MD. I don't feel like I've lost anything with used but loved. No beaters for me, but preloved is OK.

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Used or ex-demo always*
    Nothing ever full price*
    Buy from people that care and answer questions take photos.

*I totally broke all my rules and ordered a 2020 70th Anniversary Broadcaster. No regrets. But it'll likely never happen again.

moosie, Greggorios, TeleTown and 4 others like this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Almost always used. But the last CV I bought new. A used one after shipping and tax would’ve only saved me like $25, so I just walked out with a new one.

Usually there’s no comparison and used is the best deal. And I like how they’re more played in.

Telecaster88, Andy Summers and KS6V like this.
  7. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I'm only into vintage original, so nothing new for me...except cords,picks & strings.

Andy Summers likes this.
  8. blue17

blue17 TDPRI Member

I certainly prefer to save the cash and buy used, however I would say that it's certainly something that takes some experience. You have to know to look at fret-life, common modifications, and never to trust when someone says "you can barely see it" or "doesn't affect the way it plays."

I definitely understand the peace of mind when buying straight outta the box.

**yes, yes insert devil's advocate comment here about how "new" guitars in stores have often been played and some brands have QC issues**

Andy Summers likes this.
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

That sums me up. Last year I bought an AVRI strat that was being sold new at a good price locally, so let's perhaps include the very occasional "new old stock"…

Andy Summers and teletail like this.
  10. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

About the only thing I've bought new in the last 10 years are a couple of customs, a Gretsch Eddie Cochran, and I have a Brent Mason Tele on order. I've probably bought and sold 100+ guitars and basses in that time. I have about 15 or so right now.

I like a nice, worn in neck.

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I have, several times, decided that buying a new guitar is not sensible. However, I have never convinced myself enough to buy anything other than new. Strange thing is, I was given a Squire Strat that had been abandoned in a friend’s garage and I absolutely love it. No logic to it I admit.

Andy Summers and Martocaster like this.
  12. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

I’m undecided about this. Based on my buying history I’m happy buying a cheap-ish guitar used (Squier CV) but when I’m spending a bit more I like them new. I want the knocks and dings to be all mine (plus all the sweat and grime!!).

Andy Summers likes this.
  13. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters TDPRI Member

Nearly every electric guitar I've purchased within the past 10 years was used. I did buy a couple new Gibsons, however, because used prices are almost the same as new for that brand.

Andy Summers likes this.
  14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I've only purchased 3 NEW electric guitars over the last 25 years , but plenty of USED guitars . Think of it this way, buying a USED guitar is a NEW guitar to me !

Ghostdriver and Andy Summers like this.
  15. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I'd rather buy used, but it's rare to see a used guitar that I really want.

Rocky058, Andy Summers and RYAN1987M like this.
  16. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Last new guitar was my first Tele, 37 years ago.

17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I only buy used. When a cool FSR color happens, I think "man, I hope someone gouges the back of one with a belt buckle and sells it...."

That reminds me;

If you wear large belt buckles and picked up an electron green players tele......

;)

Twice I've had the used guitar I bought next to the new version in the store.

Tele has better feeling neck than the while wall of teles at GC that day, and looked good.
    Mustang was literally next to the same thing, same color new one. Used one had no cosmetic flaws and was already set up decently. Cost less AND I didn't pay for setup.

But look at cost; Fenders average $200 less used vs new on current production MIM offsets, Teles, MIA standard teles, jags, mustangs, strats. At least $100 less on MIJ strats, teles, offsets, and paisley tele, as well as MIA performer JMs.
    Amps? Every PCB reissue is $200+ less used, ditto the HRDLX, pro jr, blue jr, etc.

I wouldn't be able to afford options if I bought new.

Andy Summers likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Used, abused, abandoned, broke-down, and cheap ... my favorite kind of guitar.

Then I fix them up and make them play better than they left the factory.

19. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I seldom buy new guitars because I don't bond with guitars easily. There are plenty of excellent condition used guitars out there that sell for a lot less than new and can be sold without losing a lot of money if you don't bond with them or change your mind later.

20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

used. if i'm going to have to sink money into it anyway because QC sucks, i'd rather start at a lower price. i've even been lucky enough as a bonus to buy some used guitars that the previous owner cared for enough to correct issues before i'd run into them (refrets, bad factory fret work, etc).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.