Used guitar market pretty weak here

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I know there has been discussion of used prices being very high for last couple of years. I can honestly say, seems the prices have settled down here and maybe even pretty much back to the former range. But man, there just ain't nothin' around me. Used to be 20-25 Teles on craigslist up and down the Front Range of Colorado. Now, it's typically 5-10 or so, and many of them are crap that have been listed and re-listed multiple times that no one seems to want.

I used to see Classic and Deluxe series Telecasters and Strats all the time... now, pretty much never.

Same for other brands / models as well, just not much to choose from. Quick Facebook marketplace search yields similar results.

What's it like where you are?

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I know there has been discussion of used prices being very high for last couple of years. I can honestly say, seems the prices have settled down here and maybe even pretty much back to the former range. But man, there just ain't nothin' around me. Used to be 20-25 Teles on craigslist up and down the Front Range of Colorado. Now, it's typically 5-10 or so, and many of them are crap that have been listed and re-listed multiple times that no one seems to want.

I used to see Classic and Deluxe series Telecasters and Strats all the time... now, pretty much never.

Same for other brands / models as well, just not much to choose from. Quick Facebook marketplace search yields similar results.

I used to check out Craigslist daily, and would see the same tired and stale stuff listed and re-listed for month after month......so I just quit going there. A couple weeks ago, I decided to list a solid body nylon string Angel Lopez guitar that I hadn't touched since I got a Godin Multiac. I had one pathetic inquiry a few days later, then NOTHING. Out of the blue last weekend, I had what seemed like a serious reply. Ended up meeting the guy Sunday, and within ten minutes the deal was done. No discussion or debate of my asking price, although I volunteered to knock $30 off since he had to drive an hour to meet ten minutes from my house.
So, my recent experience was like Craigslist USED to be. Who would have thunk? ;)

kuch

Tele-Holic
It seems pretty active in our area, but don't know for sure. Like njh said, there's a lot of overpriced or junk on CL that people list every day it seems. From what I see the trend is way overpriced but I'm an older guy who's seen the definite uptick in asking prices. I'm seriously considering putting a couple of guitars up for sale here in the near future. We'll see how it goes.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Pretty dead here really.

I think people are worried about fuel and energy prices... and a likely incoming recession. The consequences of the last couple of years are starting to become a reality.

Lots of people are not wanting to buy luxury items right now.

I've seen auctions end with little interest and some stuff going for really low prices.

I just watched a Vox AC30S1 sell for £142 with 7 bids.

that will have a knock on affect on people not selling because they can't get what they want.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Same thing in the Greater Atlanta area on CL and FB. I look every day because I am looking for particular items. Same items for sale for months including guitars and amps. Most prices are borderline high or overboard. A lot of it isn't a deal at half price. Now if I see an item that is an hour away on the other side of Atlanta I have to add my gas cost in to the mix. I'm not cheap but I'm frugal.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
The variety seems to be gone, and I will go weeks at time without seeing anything interesting at all. Still the same garbage equipment ads up for months though.

I know I have gone through my stuff and sold while the prices were high, so maybe that's part of it. There's just that quiet after people unload.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
I see something that's been there for a long time and continues. Someone buys an inexpensive Squier for their kid. Kid plays it for a few months, gives up - bang - ends up on CL or FB. So around here (NE Florida), if you need a used Squier or other similar (or cheaper) brand, you have your pick. Lots and lots of Strat/Strat-types along with a lot of knock-off LPs. There's little variety.

And as others have said, you do see the occasional interesting item showing up week after week at an inflated price and no one is biting.

I think things are just tough all over, as we all know with the cost of everything. I believe this is why you see these over-inflated asking prices for gear now - people think it's a good time to make a buck.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
What's the stock like in the stores in your area? Craigslist rarely has any gear worth looking at by me, but the good stores are doing gangbuster business with used and vintage gear. The good stuff sells in days.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
CL runs hot and cold here in Pittsburgh, but that has always been the case. Prices have crept upwards the past few years, but you find the occasional deal. The great deals go fast though. Whenever I find a nice item that is priced lower than market value, you have to jump on it immediately. If I don't see something for three hours or more, I either get an email back saying that there are several people in front of me in line, or I don't hear back at all.

A few months ago I did snag a mid 50's Gibson ES125 for my brother at a very attractive price. The guy told me he had someone coming an hour after my appointment, and had eight other people lined up who wanted it. That has been my best score this year.

Most weeks its the same old stuff, week in and week out. I have to check several times each day though, because you never know when a treasure will show up.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
It does seem to have softened a bit since some supply chain issues have subsided a bit and inflation has caused many people to have less buying power. However, prices are still higher than they were pre-2020 due to inflation causing the retail price of new gear to be higher than it was back then.

I suspect that prices on some used gear, such as lower end guitars and amps, will drop as people try to dump them to get needed money to pay their inflated bills, groceries and gas. But, prices on more desirable/expensive items will remain high.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
The local Music-go-round here in Albuquerque, seems to have the regular diverse stock of guitars. A couple Teles from Corona, a MIM Player, a cool Warmoth build, a Squire and finally some budget new off brands.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It seems to me when the gas prices escalated, (they're north of six bucks most places around town) the used stuff sales slammed on the brakes. Just out of habit I check CL, and Offerup every day to see what's kicking, but it seems to be the same old ads for some time now. I see stuff not necessarily musical stuff that six months ago would have been snapped up, now it just sits.

I said that this home sales thing would slow down, and I'm seeing signs of it right now. Six months ago, put a house on the market, it sold that day. Now there's a house around the corner, and over on the next street that has had a sign up for a week. It's twenty-two hundred square feet, four beds, two baths, I'm watching to see what happens. It sold less than a year ago for around $380,000 they are wanting $415,000. It's not a flipper, it's people living there. Run the numbers a little, no longer than they've been there, they gotta get what they're asking just to get out of there, by the time they do all the payouts.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
Central VA. CL, high asking prices on MIM Fenders, over $1000 for any USA. $3500 mid 70s Tele listed, issues disclosed, probably weighs a ton.
Some guy listing multiple partscasters that he's given cute names. All have cheap necks calling them " Brenda, 60s Telecaster Custom " etc. $1100. Mighty Mite neck. What a jerk.
I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know enough to ignore the post.

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
Budget guitars went downhill around 2017-2018. A big part is the guitar company raising their prices. A cheap guitar needs to stay cheap and there’s a comfort buying a cheap guitar.
There use to be a ton of squiers for $75. Then fender raised the price twice quickly. The first price increase had a tremendous effect, way less squiers for sale, no mij squiers, no good squiers less variety.
Then the used prices doubled in a very small amount of time.

Now there’s a flux of lots of new comers, people who don’t know guitars or basic market value.
This causes loads of issues, including more scams. The new comers are a problem.

The veteran buyer’s/sellers are good for the market, we buy a ton of guitars and take good care of them and do good business. It’s a circus out there.

But, I keep hearing guitar sales are way up??

I’ve never done the facebook route is that any better?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’ve had a lot of success with trading lately. Not much buying going on at all, and selling is hard. I’ve put some stuff up for trade recently though, with a description of makes and models I’m looking for in exchange, and that seems to happen pretty easily. Works fine for me.

As far as variety, yeah, there’s the same old garage sale junk that’s been posted and reposted for years. Literally years. Then there’s some really good stuff, too. I’d definitely be buying some of it if I had the cash.

Stratocast

Tele-Meister

Perhaps used guitars have thinned on the market due to people hoarding what they got. I know I am.