1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Used Ernie Ball Music Man BFR Axis Opinions

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Crowcaster, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Hi there,

One of these showed up locally at fair price and he might negotiate more....can't imagine there's much of a market here unless he wants to ship it.

Any love or hate opinions for Axis models here?

I've never cared for the looks, but a few years ago at a birthday jam, the guitarist in an old drummer buddy's band had something very similiar, but I think it was a hardtail or regular trem....don't remember it having a Floyd. Anyway, the thing was comfortable and easy to play. I love Floyds, so that doesn't scare me away.

Still never really considered one until I saw this sale....something I won't see locally again. This looks like a beauty, and I can't resist a good used deal. So I think I'll message him and see if he'd meet up.

Ernie Ball.PNG
    Ernie Ball 2.PNG

VWAmTele likes this.
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Style is not exactly to my taste but if you're good with it, I bet a dollar you'll love the way it plays & sounds. My Cutlass is my current #1. Here's a link to the EBMM forum:

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/

great place if you have any questions, and you can get an idea about pricing from the classifieds there.

Crowcaster likes this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Those are pretty ones - they were a limited run from the October 2018 - only 75 made per this link: https://www.music-man.com/bfr/october-2018

Some history - the Axis was originally the EVH Signature when it debuted in 1991; basically when Eddie came on board with EBMM he wanted to move away from the 1-pickup Strat-style instruments. He spotted some drawings of this basic design in their chief designer's office and they adapted it to what Eddie wanted, including bringing in DiMarzio to develop the pickups for it (they brought in Duncan too, but Ed wound up going with the DiMarzios).

When EVH parted ways with EBMM they tweaked it a bit by moving the switch (Ed had it on the lower horn area, below the neck pickup) and added a slight back contour to it. Eventually EBMM added a model called the Axis Sport (solid ash bodies instead of basswood with a maple top, non-locking trem or hard-tail, added a tone control and went to a 5-way switch to get some split-coil settings). The Axis Sport gave way to the Axis SuperSport - the basswood/maple top body but with the Sport's tone control and 5-way switch. @Crowcaster - sounds like you probably played an Axis SuperSport if it was a hard-tail or non-locking trem. That being said there are a very, very few EVH Signature and Axis models out there with the hardtail bridge; those among the rarest EBMM models (and after the SuperSport model came out in 2000 they dropped the hard-tail option for the "regular" Axis).

Because of EBMM's current situation (limited production due to world events) there are very few Axis/Axis SuperSport models around at the moment. They are in the process of discontinuing the colors they've used since 2016 (natural, transparent amber, transparent blue) but with their production restrictions their new colors (they have mentioned there will only be 2 going forward) won't be announced until July.

Crowcaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.