1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

used Deluxe Reverb RI in my area

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by MikeBee, Aug 5, 2020.

1. MikeBee

MikeBee TDPRI Member

Hi all,
    I have been looking for a tube amp that I can play at lower volumes. More interested in chimey, glassy, type sound. Will probably never get to really crank it. Sharing room with family. DRRI for $600 used at the local shop. Should I snag it or keep looking. Part of me says ya, get it. Other part says wait for something 5 wattish maybe lower. No hurries to spend. Any advise out there for me.
    Thank you, MikeB

Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a fan of any Deluxe Reverb at quiet or cranked volume. I play all kinds of old R&R, Blues, Country and personally love even a quiet BF/SF Fender amp tone w/Reverb and Ttemolo (when needed)
    Plus I've always had good luck with my amps to find complimentary OD pedals to dirty up my Fenders at any amp volume.
    I'd try for $500-$550 if possible, but a DR RI ( if you actually like what you hear at low volume like I do) is a great amp.

* note: I've never owned a DR RI but have played them at giigs/festivals.

I have owned a '68 DR ( fantastic!) and a '67 Pro Reverb ( both, sadly gone-nerded $$)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    MikeBee likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Id look for a Champ personally. If reverb is a must a Princeton. DR is a gigging amp. Sharing a room with someone noodling? Tolerant family.

MikeBee likes this.
  4. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

Funny, I just posted in another thread about how a 5 watt Champ is thin-sounding at lower volumes. I also have a DRRI and it's equally true for that amp. Especially if you're playing single coils, you're not likely to get chimey/glassy out of a DRRI at low volumes. I need to get to 4 or 5 on the volume pot to get any compression or sag or dirt out of mine. And 22 watts is feckin loud at that point! Others may disagree, of course.

5. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I own a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb Reissue - it's a fantastic amp, but I wouldn't call it a bedroom amp unless you've got an attenuator. I liked mine a bunch before I attenuated it...I started loving it once I could really open it up without having my ear-drums touch in the middle

A brother of mine has a Pro Junior ($499 new, way less used) which is a fantastic bedroom amp - but even that needs an attenuator to really shine -

Good luck with your search! It's a tough compromise, trying to find your tone at a volume that won't cause the family and neighbors to gather with pitchforks and torches.

6. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I say go for it! DRs are great amps. $600 is a great price.

I play a Bad Cat trem Cat 30 in my place all the time, and I live in a 12 unit apartment in a pretty densely populated area.

zook likes this.
  7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'd get a Princeton. They are loud. Drri is louder.

8. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Those are great amps. They sound fine at bedroom volume, but much better at a level that would just start to overwhelm an intimate conversation in the same room. Put six people in the room, and they won't mind as long as they like what you're playing.
    I agree that a Princeton with a good speaker might be a better option. The biggest differences between the two, speaker/cab size and headroom, would barely come into play at low volume.

9. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For what it's worth, my ver. 1 Epiphone valve junior combo (5 watts, 8" speaker) was capable of serious volume when dialed up for real grind with a tele. Rattled windows like that.

SAguitar likes this.
  10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Since a glassy, chimey sound is your desire, I am assuming clean. At bedroom volumes I really like my DR. A DRRI at $600 is a decent deal around here, so, IMHO, jump on it!:)

zook likes this.
  11. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

For $600 you should have already had it :D

If you decide it's too loud for what you're doing, you won't lose money if you flip it.

zook, McGlamRock and Junior Little like this.
  12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Deluxe Reverb is a great amp, but is way, way more amp than you will need. But if it is in good condition, $600 is a steal. Around me, used DRRIs go for $700-850. Tough call. For $300 or so there are many options for low volume amps that you would be perfectly happy with.

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

That's a good price now days. It's too much amp for the bedroom, but they sound good at low volume too. A Champ will only sound good in the bedroom and be unusable with others if you ever want to do that.

14. cottontails1959

cottontails1959 TDPRI Member

That's a good price - FWIW, for clean bedroom volume I'd check out a Fender Musicmaster Bass amp (bass amp in name only).

Ronzo likes this.
  15. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I recently got a 2 notes captor.
    Makes any amp a bedroom amp.
    Worth it to warm the tubes more often.

16. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I have two amps I use. Both get played at about the same volume. One is a 68 Vibro Champ and the other a BF Vibrolux Reverb. Neither get cranked very often. The Vibrolux on 2 always sounds better than the Champ.

Get the DR and a good OD pedal.

17. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Everyone should own a Deluxe. It's the one amp that will pretty much handle any situation outside of metal you want to throw it at. For "glassy" cleans, use a Jensen CK-12 speaker. For dirt pedal friendliness, and lighter weight, try a Jensen CQ-12 speaker.

In addition to the DRRI, I also own a PRRI, a Bassman 59RI and a Deluxe 5e3 clone. These are my main gigging/home play amps. They will all sound great for cleans from about 2.5 to about 4.5 where the breakup begins.

18. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I'd get it. $600 is a good price. The DRRI can cover it from low volumes to moderate gigging volumes. I finally bought one after many years of using much more powerful tube and SS amps. It just has that "special" sound. I pulled the weighty clean -sounding Jensen C12K out of mine and swapped in the 12" speaker out of a Ramparte I once owned. The Ramparte speaker was less efficient and sounded like the Utah's I had in my late '60s Fenders back in the days,

It is not a true bedroom amp. When I think of that I think of the MicroCube or something like Blackstar HT-1 which is my current condo amp. I don't want to disturb the orher old folks here.

19. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

At around that price or so get something custom by a good boutique builder.

I have one of these and it’s terrific for what you’re describing:

http://www.littledawgamps.com/the-prince/

call him and he’ll customize it around exactly what you’re after.

20. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you had to choose between your DRRI and your PRRI which would you keep? heck, throw the 5e3 in the consideration as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.