Used CS Tele / Nocaster Pricing

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by tjnies, Jan 20, 2020.

1. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I have been looking at CS Telecasters / Nocasters on various forums, Reverb, and Ebay.

They all seem to be close to what I suspect are original sale prices.
    For example, a 2011 CS Tele I like is advertised for $2700 (as are several others built close to that year). Does that seem high?

What might be an appropriate offer?

VillainSean likes this.
  2. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

The older CS Nocasters - around the yr 2000 are the ones I like better , they are from the Time Machine Series, very close to the originals AND built on the original Fender machinery / equipment, They are the ones I prefer...and they seem to be a bit cheaper. I have picked a few up for around $2,400.00 ( no sales tax included). Fender made way less units in those days, so I am also thinking they will become more valuable over time.. My CS Nocaster 2000 has a serial number of R267x with a sizable neck. I have small hands with small fingers but it does not bother me at all. My CS 2006 has a less porky neck but I prefer the 2000. In fact I do no longer like the flatter 70's necks. There is just nothing to hold onto and squeeze!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    mr newhaven likes this.
  3. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Some dealers wiggle on price and some do not. Generally, the average dealer (whatever that means) will likely expect to get between $2500 - $3000 for a used, Fender CS built Tele (a team built guitar).

If it is a dealer spec'ed model (like a Wildwood 10) you may pay upper $2K to mid $3k. If the guitar is older or newer that may bear on the price up or down depending on what the dealer thinks they can get. Some dealers view older (late 90's to early 2000's) as premium since they are "neo-vintage" (what a hoot! a 20 year old guitar) if they are super clean. Other dealers see that era as just used guitars and attach no premium. Do recall, in 1985, a pre CBS L series 1965 Strat was a true vintage guitar, at 20 years old, that very easily commanded a higher price!

There seems to be more used Strats than Teles to my old eyes... so Tele's, used, may cost slightly more since they are not quite as plentiful...but who knows?

If you can cough up $3k you can find a superb Tele out there. A REAL NICE GUITAR!

Buy smart and understand the return policy inside and out. Best scenario is find a way to travel to a dealer with lots of used stock and play a bunch...don't be in a hurry either. You hold the cards...they are called dollars. Understand that well!

FYI, Marks Guitar Loft (a noted used Les Paul / Marshall dealer) always has a few nice Fenders for sale at very reasonable prices. I have no affiliation with that dealer but hear many good things about him over the years from many people.

https://www.marksguitarloft.com/

Buck

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  4. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I should have mentioned the sellers have been individuals, not dealers

5. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

Considering that brad new MIA "Ultra" Telecaster is $2k, I'd consider that price very good for a FCS guitar.
    I have two FCS guitars I bought in 2009 brand new (long story) and I believe I paid $3200 a piece.

6. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

I the selling price range starting around $2200 for a good specimen, that’s approximately what I payed for a mint closet classic 2015 51 Nocaster from the original buyer.

With that being said, these are well loved guitars, I have witnessed prices increasing over time.

7. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Not sure that is a good measuring stick; these likely didn't sell for as much as the asking price. In my mind just speculation.

I note that some dealers actually have better pricing than individuals. I'll just wait until one comes along in my preferred price range.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.