Used car shopping GRRRR!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RL52, Jan 21, 2020.

1. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

where I live it is primarily rust taking a toll. I bought a 2001 2500HD silverado 3 years ago with only 135k. Engine and transmission are in perfect shape but it is literally dissolving before my very eyes. I don't mean the body rust that they all have and I don't care about. I mean the brake lines, fuel lines, gas tank straps, and this boggles my mind: The friggin E-brake cable!!! I love MI for many things, but road salt isn't one of them.

2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I bought my 04 GMC truck with 202,000 miles. The transmission was replaced at 177,000 miles.

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

It’s tough to find good used pickups. The kind of guys who drive pickups tend to be the kind of guys who keep them forever and drive them into the ground. As for used cars, remember price is negotiable. Asking price is not selling price.

El Tele Lobo and drf64 like this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have a bunch of 20-somethings. I am wondering the same thing.

Bassman8 and Jupiter like this.
  5. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

TS is not looking for a truck.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've been looking for a yard F150 for over a year now. I understand the frustration

7. ferdtuff

ferdtuff TDPRI Member

There's a theme here....

Ignatius and koen like this.
  8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

We deal with extreme corrosion here due to aerosol spray from the ocean. Vehicles have come a long way in the past 20 years with regard to this. My 2007 Yukon is just starting to get some body rust, whereas in the past I’ve had vehicles fall apart in less than 10 years.

And it’s not just vehicles - I have to buy marine hardware for my house exterior (doorknobs, lamps, etc.).

drf64 likes this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

My kids and their friends want to save the world. My nephews and their friends want to be artists. Me--I just want an Audi, beach house, and jetglo Ric.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    philpm and Deathray like this.
  10. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Keeping my family save and providing everything they need to survive and even thrive for starters.....

getbent likes this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Traveling and living abroad, perhaps? Particularly to places with good public transportation.

I've had to make my kids learn to drive. They only drive now because they've seen what happens to their friends who don't learn to drive. If they can avoid it they will. There are lots of reasons for the change from my generation and older. It is what it is.

It's a different world.

GGardner likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

I'm far more worried about computer failures in cars nowadays, than anything mechanical. Computers and software utility/compatibility have far shorter lifespans than mechanical parts, and are difficult/expensive to fix or replace, if possible at all. The problem is that EVERYTHING is now computerized in a car. Not just a few things. EVERYTHING. Computer dies, mechanical parts stop working.

Milspec, Bassman8 and Wallo Tweed like this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I remember turning 16 and on my birthday having my Mom take me to the DMV so I could take my test and get my license.

When my kids (who are ten years removed now) turned 16 not one of them was interested in getting their license. I don't know if it was because we lived so close to the school or what but they were not interested. My oldest got her learning permit at 16.5 because we told her we were tired of driving her around to softball games. She got her license at 17.5 right before her senior year.
    My number two was the same way and I don't think my youngest would have ever gotten his as he had his sisters to drive him around.

For me the DL was FREEDOM. I could go to the skate park, to the ball field, to the alley behind the old guy who had a subscription to every naughty magazine you could imagine and dumpster dive.

for my kids, eh...

philpm, Marc Morfei and GGardner like this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Yup.

15. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Now many of you can probably relate that a car/truck with 100k miles was a buyer beware vehicle back in the day.
    These ads, Carfax etc regularly post ads for such for 8-10 old, 100k milers for $7.5k to the moon.

So here is the question.
    What is a buyer beware used vehicle?
    150, 200k miles?

I am stumped.

16. Whatizitman

Any used car is buyer beware. Sellers are rarely going to say exactly why they're selling in the first place. The best bets are commonly known reliable cars (toyotas, hondas, etc...), and/or a car FROM SOMEONE YOU KNOW AND TRUST.

We lucked out with a used buy last year. 2003 Camry with 115k on the car, 75k on the motor. Got the whole story about the motor change (used, low mileage) from the mechanic who knew the entire history, worked on the car since it was new, and sold it to us. $3500. The mechanic was already someone we knew personally, and worked on all our cars. We are a long time client, so the last thing he would want to do is sell us a lemon. Trust goes both ways.

The car is in better shape than any used car I have bought previously.

philpm and RL52 like this.
  17. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

Keep your eyes open and look for used vehicles that are 3-5 years old with 30,000 to 50,000 miles on them (10 to 12K a year or so..).
    These are *usually* off lease vehicles, and dealers get them at some really good prices.
    Because the dealers get them cheap, you can actually negotiate on these .....start offers at about 15% below sticker. At 10%-12% below sticker the dealers are still making good $$$ and will often (at least in my experience) let 'em go just to keep inventory moving.
    Car shop at the end of the month.
    Don't fall in love with a vehicle, be willing to walk away.
    Shop around.
    Pit dealers against each other (bring in the other guys add).
    *Listen* to the salesman....sometime they will drop little hints...(ie: don't buy this car.....or "my manager wants to move inventory")
    Buying a car is always kind of a crap shoot.....stack the odds in your favor any way you can.

Wallo Tweed, Marc Morfei and RL52 like this.
  18. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Any time this subject comes up I’m thankful that I have a good friend in the business. All I have to do is call him up, tell him what I’m looking for, and he’ll find one wholesale (dealer to dealer or at the auctions). He can put a hold on a vehicle while we evaluate it. And then he only charges me a few hundred dollars for his efforts. Darn I feel lucky:)

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah the old miles number is different now and the new number can designate good deals since many see 200k as the cap.
    I buy after the 200k rolls over because it drops the price several thousand $$.

But then stuff does indeed start breaking and rust appears.
    Some cars go to 300k and some cars don’t rust as fast.

In Maine everybody short on cash wants Toyota for miles and Subaru for cheap.
    A 20 yo Corolla or Tacoma is way over priced, and there isn’t a single 20 yo Subaru on the road.
    Toyotas rust like a scalded cat.

Old VW and Mercedes can be great at 250k but the VW is rusty.

Old Volvo over 200k has way less rust than other makers but service costs scare off buyers with good reason.

20. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

In the last year, I purchased a 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel with about 197K miles on it, for $4500. At that price, I knew it had some issues, primarily with neglected or deferred maintenance. I replaced an injector, new brakes and shocks all around, power steering pump, 2 new tires, and the biggie, a completely rebuilt rear end, all of which cost me about $4000, thanks to my neighbor who is a very good shadetree mechanic. All in, 8500, and I have a truck that is VERY reliable and I know what to expect from it. The fact that the Cummins is designed and built to go 500K mi before an overhaul gives me peace of mind.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.