1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

used AVRI 52 vs new Road Worn

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 66Satellite, Jul 30, 2014.

1. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Which would YOU choose, and why? We are comparing whatever AVRI you could reasonably buy for around $900 vs a brand new with warranty, etc., Road Worn Tele.

2. littlewing6283

littlewing6283 Tele-Meister

imo id go with the avri. I have a roadworn but its from 2009. I wasnt too impressed with the newer road worns ive played. the avri has always been impressive.

also with warranty I wouldnt let that be a deciding factor. Its a 5 year warranty. Most of everything that goes wrong will be an easier fix then send it to fender purgatory.

if its an acoustic guitar my view changes, like Martin has a Lifetime warranty which includes a neck reset when it needs one.

3. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with littlewing's call.. Warranty on a Tele imo is a non issue.. there are a couple things that could go wrong but for the most part nothing major.. The Road Worn needs upgrades to get it up snuff.. pickups at least if you'll be comparing it to an AVRI 52.. More than likely it'll need some fret work too.. The last thing to consider is that the Roadworn will be worth about $500-$600 after you bring it home the AVRi will not depreciate at all.

Keep in mind I currently have 6 Road Worns of various flavors in the house. I like the line but not to the point where I'm blind to its limitations. All but one was purchased for less than $500 the other one for just over $600.. They are great for what they are but they are only a substitute for an AVRI not an equal.

4. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

The AVRI no doubt. They are awesome no matter what year at lest for me. And other than maybe vintage and CS, the AVRI are basically the only fenders that hold value or maybe even gain a little.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Warranty???? We don't need no stinking warranties!!!!! LOL

It's a Tele. Fewer moving parts. Those that do move don't break very often. If they do we fix 'em. I'd buy the AVRI because that's what you asked. You should buy which ever you like better.

6. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Sorry, LOL. Didn't mean to throw you guys off with the warranty comment. Just meant NEW vs USED. Agree, I don't care about warranty either.

7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

AVRI. It is (generally speaking) a better guitar, with better components and all the rest.

Ther can be dogs here and there, but hey, te 52 RI (in almost every incarnation) is a classic!

8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I'd definitely choose an AVRI. I've tried Roadworns, they sound good and feel good, but when I held the AVRI, it was just, like "you know what, I'll be keeping this forever" kind of thing.

9. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I'd choose the AVRI 52. There's plenty to choose from used, and while the new RW Tele is a fine guitar, it's not in the same league as the AVRI 52. Plus, if you don't bond with the AVRI 52, you'll probably get more of your money back when you sell it on.

Thanks,

10. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

+1 then you can still get your Road Worn if you still want it :) But check the fret wear!

11. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

AVRI - No brainer ........for me.

12. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I'll be the lone dissenting opinion. I've had the older version 52AVRI and I have the newer version 50's Road Worn. I'll agree the older 52 AVRI is a fine instrument. IMHO (I'm being sensitive;)) it has a cult like following based on the nostalgia. Sure, it has a lot going for it as described above. But, it specs out quite differently than the 50'S RW.

Personally, I didn't care for the small vintage frets. That was my big reason for selling it. Everything else was fine. The neck tint was a bit orangy, but not distasteful. And it was very glossy looking and feeling.

The 50's RW on the other hand has taller frets that play great, It has a nitro finish too. The frets on mine were fine. The neck isn't covered in thick lacquer, so the ends don't get covered up. A quick whet stone up and down it smooths them out if needed. The pick ups are a little thinner and hotter sounding, but are fine. They distort very well and can get twangy if desired. I can take it out of the house too and not worry about it getting dinged up if it gets knocked over.

It really comes down to personal preference, because there are differences.
    Besides the RW, I also have a Wildwood Thinskin 52 with a Humbucker. That one gives me a fuller/darker sound. I'm definitely not a traditionalist when it comes to tele's. I'm a little fickle too, having gone though a few now before settling on these two. The thing with tele's is, they are fun to collect. You could probably get by with one and use your amp settings more. But it's fun to have a couple (or more) just to satisfy the crave.

I don't really worry about resale when buying. Sure, you can probably sell the 52AVRI for what you paid for it. Even taking a $200 hit a a RW isn't too great if you've had it a couple years and then change your mind. That's less than $10 a month to use it.

13. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

AVRI. Better guitar. Made in American to tighter tolerances. Sure there are some sloppy '52 RIs out there.

But the specs are also what do it for me on the '52 RI. Love the pickups and love the vintage styled frets.

14. SkipParis

SkipParis Tele-Meister

AVRI would be a easy choice for me.

15. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Yeah, small frets and the high gloss pumpkin look are my main issues with this guitar. Otherwise I'm sure it's awesome.

16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I played a newer RW with the mini humbucker and it seemed really blah to me. The store said they had just set it up so I guess that one isn't for me.

17. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

+1 ~ Very well written.

18. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I think you pretty much just made your decision then!

19. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

9 times out of 10 id choose the avri
    unless I played both and the RW was clearly the winner.
    which could very well be the case

RW vs Baja vs 50s/60s classic vs CIJ62/52 vs FSR now thats a little less black and white.

20. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Based on my own experience with my Road Worn Player's strat I certainly wouldn't discount that range. I've found my RW to be every bit as good in all respects as my CS Clapton strat - at a lot cheaper price.

Don't discount them on the basis of what others say, you have to try them side by side to see which you prefer - and if its a RW tele then go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.