Used 65 Princeton Reverb Reissues are expensive.....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by studio1087, Dec 14, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I keep thinking that I can find a used one for $650 being that the new ones are $999.

I can’t find a used one for $650. I had one years ago and I sold it after I decided that I had too many low powered amps. I’m missing the sound and the simplicity.

MF has a 16% coupon now. GC has a $120 gift card that they’re selling for $100 (I bought two of them for our daughter for Christmas - she wants a keyboard).

I don’t want to pay for a new Princeton but the new/discounted vs used prices are making it astrange situation.

If you visit the GC website and look at all the used ones they’re asking $800 to $850. The 12 watt 68 reissues can be had for $700 to $750 but I don’t want the more aggressive Princeton.

I like hunting for bargains. The Princeton’s really seem to hold their value. I’m selling a Marshall DSL rig that I dislike more with each passing day. Trying to plan the next move.

Any advice from Princeton fans?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, to further muddy the waters, you could get a boutique custom hand wired PR built to your specs for around a grand from Anthony at Sounds of the Shoals. If you’re willing to wait about three months for it. Granted, this is slightly more, but the quality would be better... and your choice of caps, transformers, speaker... you could even go with NOS tubes.

All in all, probably the best deal you could find.

He built me a custom 6G2 and I’ve been very very pleased.

studio1087 likes this.
  3. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I bought a new Princeton reverb tweed from Sweetwater. It has a 12 inch Eminence Cannabis Rex and is 15 watt. I got 50 bucks off. Not much but like the old lady that peed in the ocean, every little bit helps. Any way I love this amp. Its a keeper. I'm glad I didn't wait and went ahead and got it. You only go around once, enjoy your self. While you are hunting I'm playing.

studio1087 likes this.
  4. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

65 Princeton Reverb new is $999.00. 15% off makes it $850 with a warranty. The above is correct Sweetwater has two versions. Play music.

studio1087 likes this.
  5. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have the C-Rex version of the tweed '65 mentioned above. Good luck finding it discounted. ;)

studio1087 likes this.
  6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I can convert a '65 Custom to PRRI specifications with less than ten bucks worth of parts.

7. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I searched on my Facebook Marketplace for 100 miles around me. There is ONE listed: an original '66 in mint condition for $2,000. You can't scroll down more than twice without running across a Twin Reverb or two in the $700-$1000 range.

I imagine the only people who are selling their Princetons for a deal these days either inherited it, are in bad need of cash, or just quit playing entirely.

studio1087 and Hatfield92 like this.
  8. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I'll also say this, though it may be blasphemy. I built this 2x12 Blues Jr cab for a guy during the summer (he put his Fender badge on it), and he got an Allen TO20MT output transformer for it to run the 4 ohm load. He installed the OT, so I never got to see it. He said it was a pretty noticeable difference in size & weight. But, he put two Cannabis Rex speakers in it, and for the power level and tone - it was a Princeton killer to me. Who knows how much of each factor contributed to the sound -- speakers, cabinet, OT -- but it was a great tone that made me laugh when I started playing it. I couldn't believe it was a Blues Jr.

$350 for a used Blues Jr, $75-$80 for an OT upgrade would be around $450 after shipping probably and could be a starting point.

2x12 blues jr.jpg

studio1087 likes this.
  9. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Do the Nike thing!

studio1087 and That Cal Webway like this.
  10. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Sorta similar situation - several years ago I was in the market for a PR. Looked quite a while for a SFPR in good condition for a decent price, but by then the PR "craze" had set in and prices for BF and SF PR's had gotten very high - higher than I was willing to pay.

This was just for home use so when PRRI was released, I bought one from MF with a 15% discount coupon. No sales tax and free shipping + warranty = $765 delivered at that time. Loaded it up with some good NOS tubes I had, biased it properly and gave the stock speaker a fair chance for good break-in. Love my SFVC, SFDR, and SFSR and the 2 muchxs tweed clones I have, but I have been thoroughly satisfied with the PRRI. It gave me what I wanted at a reasonable price IMO, and has had zero issues.

Been a while since I have seen a used PRRI for 650 - 700 in my neck of the woods.....Price difference between used PRRI and discounted new isn't enough of a difference to me.

The PRRI has been out for about 8 years or so now IIRC - I think most current owners are pretty satisfied with them.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    studio1087 likes this.
  11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Just remembered that a day or so ago I got an email 20% off coupon from GC. Of course, it had the usual product exemptions, including Fender, but I have had MF and GC apply such discounts to Fender products a number of times, and have gotten up to 20% discounts in the past. Sometimes that has involved multiple calls and finally getting a person who would honor it on Fender products.

If you decide to pursue a DRRI, I'd suggest calling all the large discount houses and ask for their best discount price. Also, call several times - has always worked for me.

studio1087 likes this.
  12. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Fwiw if you tried the PR quality clone route as a way to maybe save a bit of money...that’s a tough road too. Top quality total un-assembled components, pre-shipping, pre-labor are going to run ~$700 at least, and that’s if you really really work at it IME. Same thing for DR clones.

Battle-scarred bar-smoke old Twin Reverbs on the other hand...there are good deals on those now @ a lot of places. I’ve recently seen a sf Twin Reverb selling for ~half the price of a DR silverface in the same store.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    studio1087 likes this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

You are spoilt in the US. I paid $1800 ( down from $2300 ) for a Blackface 65 PRRI and that discount was because I know every store owner in our city and broker deals for others.

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

$ 699 USD = circa $1013 $AUD so you're still getting a good deal.
    $000 ESD = circa $ 1550 $ AUD ( not so good) BTW ther are 12 watts RMS not 15 Watts RMS.
    But they're are a very good amp. That is pure Fender tone at it's best.

studio1087 likes this.
  15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Patience.

Or bite the bullet and buy new.

studio1087 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.