Use of chorus pedal in Americana

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by johmica, Aug 6, 2020.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

I'm a big fan of "roots rock" and Americana (anything from early Rolling Stones and late Beatles to Ryan Adams and Alabama Shakes), and I was wondering if folks could offer up some examples of a tasteful use of chorus in these genres.

The underlying reason being that I just purchased a new chorus pedal on a whim, and I'm looking for "target tones."

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

David Lindley, El Rayo X.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    nojazzhere and johmica like this.
  3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Lawdawg, rze99, Binx and 2 others like this.
  4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

I never expected to hear anyone mention the Beatles and the Stones in the same sentence with "Americana."

41144, AAT65, WalthamMoosical and 5 others like this.
  5. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    bill in kc likes this.
  6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I always thought when people said Americana, the Dead was in there somewhere.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have two settings I dial in for my Boss Chorus Ensemble, both sound good, for rootsy, R&B, and rock stuff I might play.

Neither sound like the more traditional '80's Chorus sounds ( which I just dont have use for, dont play that music)

- one setting is a "Leslie rotating speaker' /organ variation- which is basically a very fast Speed/Rate, a moderate Depth, and I can vary the Mix ( the balance between the wet/effect sound vs.dry signal) as strong or weak as I like- great for full power chords/arpeggios or leads

- the other I just call 'Skynyrd' is just a very subtle chorus I heard on early Lynyrd Skynyrd stuff, that I try to come close to.
    It's just got a little motion and wave. Just a fun '70's rock tone- for a guy who only uses 3 pedals.Simple
    Here the Rate is low, the Depth is high and Mix is maybe favoring wet side 60/40?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  8. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

Not that I'm super-excited that my thread is getting sidetracked on nitpicking over the terminology that I used, but from that wellspring of knowledge, Wikipedia: "Americana (music), a style incorporating early blues, country, folk, rhythm and blues, and rock influences."

But really, guys, I'm just looking for some "check out this track"-type recommendations for tones that incorporate the chorus effect into, yes, Americana.

schmee and tidalcast like this.
  9. soundchaser59

https://m.ranker.com/list-of/music?ref=mainnav

Depends which articles you read. I couldn't find any articles on the subject that mention any Europe bands at all. Seems like American bands playing American music is at the heart of the definition. But it also seems like that definition overlaps several different genres.

10. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

What I think of as Americana, I don't really associate it with songs with chorus, not that I'm necessarily right about that. So I don't have any examples I can think of to offer, but interested to see what others come up with.

11. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

Yeah, I definitely understand this. Like I said, I bought the pedal on a whim. I've only spent a few minutes playing with it but the effect seems pretty aggressive, and I'm wondering if I'll ever really use it.

I was hoping that folks would have suggestions for songs that use the effect tastefully in a roots rock setting, so I can hear examples of folks that know how to use it. Maybe I'm out of luck, because it's just not often used in that setting. I will check out the Whiskeytown suggestions above. Those sound promising.

soundchaser59 and Old Plank like this.
  12. soundchaser59

IMO, chorus is one of those effects that should not be noticed until you shut it off. If it's obvious that it's on then it's set too much. If you have to shut it off to be sure it was on then it's set right.

Besides, you don't say which chorus you bought, and chorus pedals are definitely NOT all created equal. If you bought a Boss chorus then you might want to experiment with some other brands before you decide that chorus has no use. The Hardwire chorus is IMO the best bang for buck chorus, and it can be set for that just barely noticeable effect. Not to mention the fact that chorus is really IMO intended for a stereo sound.

Old Plank and johmica like this.
  13. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Nobody does anything until somebody does it. Start a trend! Forge your own way!

14. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been tinkering with my chorus and octaver pedals...together I can get a pretty convincing "little brown church" organ sound...that's Americana ;).

15. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

It's an MXR Analog Chorus.

soundchaser59 and black_doug like this.
  16. gpilgrim

gpilgrim TDPRI Member

johmica likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Again, listen to Lindleys sound on the posted album. Americana-schmoe-schmana, that album's use of chorus is classic.

johmica likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

In my own "narrow focus" kind of view, I think of Americana being relatively "un-effected" guitar sounds....maybe a bit of reverb and/or tremolo, (what would have been onboard with early amps) but little to no sounds like chorus, flanging, or delay. (maybe a little slap-back)
    Also, while I wouldn't attempt a "dictionary definition" of Americana, I, too wouldn't include the Stones or Beatles as examples. IMHO, The Band began the popularization of the genre in the rock community.....but I'm sure many can and will argue about that. ;)

19. johmica

johmica Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm not fully committed to my original characterization, for sure. I do kind of consider early Stones as "roots rock," but I'll happily stand corrected. And I completely agree about the appeal of raw sound.

My tele pushed through my cranked deluxe sounds pretty darn good.

20. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Since I built my pedalboard two months ago I’ve been incorporating my 20 years old Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus into a lot of my playing. Speed set at 10:00 and Chill at Noon for basic pop songs.
    it gives a nice little boost and fullness.
    I’m still playing with it and I’m glad I bought it although I don’t know why I did buy it at the time (I think I read a review in a Guitar magazine and didn’t know any better).

johmica likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.