1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Use my old computer as a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by gitlvr, Nov 19, 2013.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi, I was given a newer computer recently. My old one was full. I wiped it and started over, but it is an older unit and the new one is, well, newer.
    The hard drive on the old computer is a substantial size. What I would like to do is format the old drive, removing everything on it, including if possible the OS, and somehow use it as an external or secondary drive. I would run my recording software on the new computer and use the old drive to store all of my project files.
    I googled it, and all I get is "turn your old computer's hard drive into a portable drive", which is done by purchasing a particular case. I would rather just hook one computer to the next. Can I do this? How hard is this to do?
    And assuming I can do this without the OS installed on the old PC(old PC is XP, new one is Windows 7), this is the way I would like to go.
    Anyone know what I need to do?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Carlsson

Carlsson Tele-Holic

Wouldn't it be easier to hook them both up to a local network and publish the disc in the old computer as a shared network drive?

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

If you say so. I do not know anything about this kind of thing. If that will do what I want, and let me wipe the old drive so I can use all of it that I can, I'd give it a shot.

4. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

If you can get both machines on the same local network, FreeNAS is a great way of doing this.
    http://www.freenas.org/

I've got the FreeNAS software running from a USB memory stick (the computer is set to boot up from the USB port) so you don't need a Windows licence or take up space on the disk with the operating system. Boots up in no time too.

5. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

The easiest thing to do would be to take out the hard drive from the old computer and put it in an external enclosure, then reformat it so it is blank. They aren't very expensive for a basic USB one, check out Newegg or Tiger Direct.

6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

This sounds like what I want. Anyone know of a link somewhere that will tell me how to do this?

7. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Carlsson has the right idea about a local network. However, you can get 2TB external HDs for less than $100 or external drive enclosures for less than $50 which use a fraction of the power of a PC and you would still need an OS on the older PC. You desire to re purpose the old PC is admirable, but you are better off donating it to a charity or family member needing a basic PC.

8. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Err... Yes, the one I quoted...

http://www.freenas.org/

9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, guys. I think I'll get a case and go to town on it.

10. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Why not do the simplest, least costly thing and put the drive in an external USB enclosure? I really don't get why you would do it any other way...

See post #7 - mtjo62 speaks wise words.

11. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

See post above you. Thanks for replying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.