1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Use DRRi Normal channel with direct guitar, Vibrato channel reverb only question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by htloren, Jan 21, 2021.

1. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi guys!

I have a 2 channel Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb reissue. The Normal channel has no reverb but the Vibrato channel does.

I was thinking of using the Vibrato channel as sort of like a reverb effect to the Normal channel (direct channel) using a Radial Engineering amp switcher set to “both”, plugged into both the Normal and Vibrato channels.

So use the Normal channel for the dry guitar signal then the Vibrato channel, set the amp reverb to 10, but increase the volume of this channel to taste. In effect, as if it was just a reverb effect to the Normal channel. I was thinking of setting the reverb to 10 so that I can dial out as much of the direct signal from this channel, get only the reverb.

Will this cause any noise? Problems with my amp? My Radial switcher has a phase inverter feature. Will this help if I get the phase cancellation issue? Anybody try this?

Am actually not a reverb guy but just wanted to try this out. Perfectly happy sans reverb.

Thanks in advance!

Loren

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You can do it, but it probably won't sound very good. On a DR, the two channels are out of phase from one another, because the reverb channel has one more gain stage than the normal channel. You can try it. It won't hurt anything, but it may sound thin and weak.

htloren likes this.
  3. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi DougM,

Thanks! Even with the reverb set to 10 to lessen the dry signal from the Vibrato channel? Will setting my amp switcher phase inverter help?

Thanks!
    Loren

4. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi DougM,

So I took the plunge and here is what I found:

Playing the two channels together indeed cancelled each other out. Thin. To fix this, I turned on the phase inverter feature in my switcher. Amazing!

I then turn the reverb all the way to 10 on the Vibrato channel where the direct signal now just sounded like a ghost.

Switched both channels, Normal for dry and Vibrato for reverb and it sounded great!

I did an A/B and no sacrifice in tone, headroom or added noise. Added bonus is that the reverb quality also stayed the same. No degradation. The only thing is the volume knob on the Vibrato is super sensitive, but even with a Normal channel volume of 3, it is possible to dial in the right amount of reverb in the Vibrato channel. So the volume knob of the Vibrato channel would be 1.8 to a Normal channel of about 4.3.

Success! Thanks and appreciate your help DougM :)

Loren

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, vintage DR would have a phase issue. I don't know about RI's...

htloren likes this.
  6. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Yes. Still has that phase issue with my ‘65 reissue. I am using my pedal switcher’s phase inverter feature. Was amazing to hear the result when I used it!

I was also worried that using both channels at the same time might ruin the amp somehow but I figured, how I am using the amp, Normal: dry / Vibrato: reverb only would be ok. Still not certain.

schmee likes this.
  7. DougM

I'm glad it worked. I didn't respond before because it was very late here and it was bedtime. I'm not familiar with your amp switcher, or what the phase invert switch does, so I would have been no help anyway. But, apparently it reverses the phase between the two outputs, so if people are running two amps together and experience out of phase issues, then that switch will resolve the problem. I'm glad it worked for you and you're happy with the results.

htloren likes this.
  8. DougM

It won't hurt anything. People have been jumpering the channels on their Marshalls and Fender amps that don't have phase issues for decades, so don't worry.

htloren likes this.
  9. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Thanks DougM :)

10. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Just an update.

I just noticed, added hiss from the reverb channel because I set it at 10. It’s got a GT tube in there. Will see if replacing it will remove the hiss.

If it doesn’t, probably won’t do this set up since I am not a reverb guy anyway. Would just have been nice to be able to do so. Fun.

Will post my findings.

11. DougM

Is there really any advantage over just plugging into the reverb channel?

12. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

I checked my tube replacement schedule chart.

Man, the 2 reverb channels have good tubes in it already. EHX 12AT7 (relatively new) and a Mullard 12ax7 (though a little old). Win’t change the tubes anymore. Setting the reverb max at 10 makes sense anyways that it would add hiss.

So though it was fun, will just stick to the old way of doing things. Not using the Vibrato as a “reverb channel with reverb set to max”.

13. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

I prefer the Normal channel over the Vibrato channel. The two channels are not similar at all. Night and day. The advantage though of the reverb channel, for cleans is that it is spanky, crystal clear and has that Fender sparkle. It has scooped mids.

The Normal channel has more mids. More rock. For players that play clean or want that high end sizzle, the Vibrato channel is for them.

I could just use my A/B switcher to switch between the two channels. Have reverb when I play clean. But I am fine live playing with one channel. No reverb.

If I had to pick a channel I would choose to stay on an island with for the rest of my life, it would be the Normal channel.

I actually like that the two channels are different. For recordings, it’s like having 2 amps to choose from. Playing clean guitar for a track? Then I use the Vibrato channel.

One more thing too. I have a DRRi and a Princeton Reverb. Compare these two stock side by side and they sound different. Like why even say they belong to the same Blackface family different. I changed their tubes and speakers. The Deluxe has an Eminence GA-SC64. 1x12. The Princeton has the same speaker but just a 10” version. An Eminence GA10-SC64. Now they sound like they come from the same family. So the Normal channel of the Deluxe Reverb sounds like my Princeton Reverb. Exactly the same except that the DRRi is a louder amp so it has more headroom and a little more body due to the cab size difference.

14. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

You might like the Vibrato channel a lot more if you opened it up and removed the bright capacitor from that channel's volume pot.

htloren likes this.
  15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You could try a barber launch pad. It works in fenders out of phase
    in diff channels. Not sure about DRRI.

htloren likes this.
  16. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi SoK66,

Yup but I guess I decided a while back after screwing up a favorite amp of mine in the past, the only mods I would do is change the speaker or tubes. I am ok with the Vibrato channel. Just that I prefer meatiness of the Normal. Nice go have options too. Like having 2 amps in 1. The Eminence GA-SC64 that I put in removed the fizziness of the original speaker too.

17. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Hi Uriah1,

That’s interesting! Will check it out. Thanks! For phase correction, I can use my Lehle amp switcher or Radial Engineering amp switching. Both have phase inverting options. I tried them both and it worked amazing!

Loren

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.