Use 2x12 cab for 1x12?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by itsGiusto, Aug 8, 2020.

1. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Meister

I have a 2x12 cab, but I'd like to be able to use it as a 1x12, because I don't have much need for the extra volume. What would be the correct way to do this? Would I take a piece a plywood, and screw it in where the second speaker is normally mounted? If I just left the speaker hole open without plywood, would that be changing the sonic signature, making it like a ported cab, instead of a closed-back/front cab?

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

That's what I'd do....OR stick that plywood front-to-back between the speakers making 2 separate 1x12s.

Probably sound boxy & bass-less, and since the speaker would have no air resistance to limit cone travel, would be easy to blow.

3. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Meister

Is that necessarily true? Wouldn't the same be able to be said about ported or ducted cabs, then, or maybe even open-back cabs?

4. green_henry

green_henry TDPRI Member

Unless you are concerned about the weight, you can put a cheap (and/or broken) speaker in the other hole and leave it un-wired.

W.L.Weller and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

Guitar speakers will not blow. They do not produce enough lows to have that kind of trouble. Put your mind at ease.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Some players actually use a 2x12 cab with a single 12" in it and the other hole open. This is called a "detuned" cabinet and sometimes sounds pretty good, depending on the cabinet and speaker used. Give it a try and see if you like the sound.

I'm assuming the 2x12 cab you have is a closed-back type.

nojazzhere, nomadh and milocj like this.
  7. wabashslim

That's funny. Rather cruel to the OP but funny.

As long as you're not pushing the speaker close to its rated power you're not likely to hurt it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I'd either sell or trade it and the 1 12 you want.

scottser and Collin D Plonker like this.
  9. wabashslim

Ports are small & tuned (if done right anyway) to allow frequencies below the speaker's resonant frequency to pass more freely, to boost bass you wouldn't hear much of otherwise. As for open-backs, they'll still offer enough air resistance, or distance, from the cone's back to front to prevent an "air short circuit", the best way I can think of to explain it.

nojazzhere and awasson like this.
  10. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Meister

Why would I do that? Doesn't the size of the cab affect the tone? 1x12s are typically smaller than 2x12s.

11. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I would replace both with speakers the proper ohmage to run one of them with the amp, then disconnect the other speaker. That way you have a spare.

12. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Meister

Well, taking ohmage, power handling, and the prospect of having another spare speaker to use out of the equation, I'm interested in what to do. I think it sounds like screwed in plywood would be a good way to go. I guess if I really could get another 12 inch speaker really really cheap, like under $20, I'd put it in as a dummy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  13. mrriggs

mrriggs TDPRI Member

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding but in my [limited] experience the number of speakers doesn't really affect the total volume. Two speakers won't be twice as loud as one speaker (if the same efficiency) because each speaker will only be getting half of the power that the amp is putting out.

Are you saying that you already have an empty 2X12 cab and only want to buy one speaker? If that's the case then, yeah, go for it. Play through it with the empty speaker hole then set something in front of the empty hole to see it if sounds better, worse, or any different at all. If you like the sound of the hole covered then you can cut a board to screw over it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

Two speakers may not be twice as loud as one, but it is much louder. You are moving twice as much air with two speakers. That why very loud rock bands use a 100w full stack (with 8 speakers) rather than a 200 watt 1x12 amp.

I had a 50w Plexi and 4x12 back in the 90s and it was LOUD, much louder than my 1x12 100w Soldano combo amp.

15. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

What about a new baffle? Those old blonde Fender cabs were pretty big for 1x12"s but they sound good.

itsGiusto likes this.
  16. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You are quite correct. When speakers share an enclosure without baffles between them, they acoustically couple and there is a substantial increase in output. The effect is more noteable in the lower and mid bass range.

drmordo likes this.
  17. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

That's partly because you have four lower wattage speakers which are often more sensitive, and you have a large cab which is closed back and more efficient than open back. Open back tends to cancel lower bass frequencies, closed back is much more directional.

Apart from the bass cancellations, you are absolutely not moving twice as much air, though, as each speaker is only transferring a quarter as much power.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

One of the best cabs I ever heard was a vertical 2x12 with no speaker in the bottom and a greenback in the top.

19. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Just turn Volume down.

20. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

It is a fairly common configuration so some people must like it. I Agree OP should try it and see if they like it. They try the cheap low powered plugged in the hole as a passive radiator then try the wood over the cover making it a big single.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.