1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

USACG Closed

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Derek Kiernan, Sep 18, 2019.

1. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Sad, but not surprising. That's the business world for you....

ping-ping-clicka and drlucky like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

A friend recently emigrated to Canuckistan, sort of a similar process, application was a 5lb stack of paper.
    Not allowed to bring her car or credit score across the border.
    Also oddly still has to pay taxes in the US.

How bout KELOWNACG?

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's not as if they're across town from Warmoth. Oh, wait...

Greggorios likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Are you trying to suggest there might be no sinister conspiracy behind a business going under???

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was that Canadian!

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

He actually lives in Florida... USACG is in the Tacoma Washington area... that's a haul .... but in Kevin's defense, it seems there may be a somewhat less sinister reason for the situation.

His wife has personal issues that require a medical remedy... thus Kevin has decided he needs to be there, and not 3000 miles away... Thus he has retired.. I'd do the same, as most would..

Speculation is nothing but a 11 letter word for "guess".. stop guessing what someone's motivation is...

r

SnidelyWhiplash, JL_LI, Skub and 7 others like this.
  7. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

It's not futile but it's expensive. I just bought the stuff to make dinner for my family and in-laws tonight. Went to a local grocery store that makes most of its money as a beer garden. Bought organic grass beef from a nearby farm, ground in the store; local craft beer, a few other things. Expensive! Significantly more than it would have been at the chain supermarket. By "significant" probably a total of 10-maybe 20 bucks more. Is it worth it? I can walk to this store. I know the owners, I've played gigs there: if I want it to stay I have to pay the extra. It's a trade off.

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am suggesting that USACG and Warmoth are both in Puyallup and many of us would choose one over the other, a 2-way street. Also, sometimes poor business decisions are made and have nothing to do with the competition. As a resident of the Pacific NW, I will miss having another regional supplier. Wood sent here from other regions often needs to sit for a good while to acclimate to our west-of-the-Cascades wet weather.

BB and telemnemonics like this.
  9. joel_ostrom

joel_ostrom Tele-Afflicted

Wow, what a shame. In the last 10 years I've built four guitars that all came from USACG. Every time I dealt with Tommy personally. He was amazing. Despite having several years between orders he remembered who I was and what I had ordered before every time I called. You couldn't ask for a nicer and more helpful guy. Two years ago I travelled down to Puyallup (from Canada) to pick up an order in person and to meet Tommy. He gave me a tour of the shop.

I was disappointed to hear that his company had been taken over by someone else who didn't share his vision of quality guitar building, and even more disappointed to hear he'd left. And now to hear that his company has been run into the ground and shut down is a real shame.

I'll cherish the instruments that I have; ones that were built when the company was run by a true artisan!

Greggorios, BB and micpoc like this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

You, and most recently others, had alluded to the unhappiness & frustration there. I was happy enough to get a couple nice necks for once. And like that... poof. Gone.

I_build_my_own likes this.
  11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

the air is filled with the sound of king cobras and the sound of a thousand angry diamondback rattlers
    hsssss!
    closing the factory and firing the workers but will open a new factory elsewhere with cheaper Murican workers?

12. speranza

speranza TDPRI Member

This was all a surprise to me — funny story, I broke the truss rod on my Tele this morning with some overzealous tightening, and started phoning around in a panic after Mike Lull's shop deemed my neck a loss. I'm in Seattle but Warmoth said they couldn't sell to me in-person because of how their stocking and shipping works. USACG said "if you can get here today, we can help you." Long story short, I spent a couple hours in the car for the honor of being the last-ever customer at USA Custom Guitars... got myself a nice quartersawn maple neck and I suppose I'll post a pic when it's installed...

mrz80, nnieman, ctmullins and 3 others like this.
  13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Did you really emigrate to Canadiana? Thinking of retiring there, but not sure if that's possible. First wife was/is Canadian. I've spent a lot of time there, go there whenever I can, and dearly love it. How hard it is for Yanks to re-root in those thinner, calmer soils?

My daughters have dual citizenship but live in the States. If one moves there, which is possible, could she sponsor me? I'll eat the store-brand cat food when I retire, and not turn up my amps past 3, I promise!

rangercaster and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

the way USACG came into existence is Tommy was Ken Warmoth's right hand man... Ken and Tommy pretty much began Warmoth in Kenny's garage... as the last century wound down, Ken began altering his business model.. for me, it was eliminating professional discounts... and dramatically cutting back of options offered.. like one to one discussions of unique features...Poof Gone in a heart-beat.

So Tommy left Warmoth and started his own biz .. USACG... with possibly the most comprehensive array of options and willingness to accommodate the truly unique around...

smooth sailing until, about 2015 .. the Opportunity arrived to take on a partner with "deep pockets" as Tommy would say... Tommy was so happy that now he could increase his supply of excellent and highly figured woods... and add m much needed additional equipment.. smoothy sailing.. until the investor, who up to now had been great, wanted a little larger "bite"... Tommy obliged, but this put the investor in a superior position and now HIS visions held a more meaningful position than Tommy's wishes...

UhOh.. Now the smooth running machine had squeaky bearings.. they continued to get worse until the "investor" fired Tommy...

Tommy is now involved in Real estate and doing well.. if he DOES return to the exciting world of guitars, it cannot be until after March 2020 .. but.. I'm afraid, that ship will sail without my old friend aboard...

The new owner wanted to begin production of a new guitar... no such thing as a NEW Guitar exists only yet another variant of an existing idea.. He didn't understand that... and began drowning almost immediately... production suffered, as did customer relations, and as is often the problem in "arbitrage" he lost interest... time to look for a new victim..

rk

John Nicholas, elihu, Skub and 5 others like this.
  15. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    Are you an American? Some of us find that term or expression offensive, even insulting. Maybe you weren't aware of that.
    I think it's the same as people using derogatory nicknames for immigrants from China, Italy, Puerto Rico, etc. who reside here.
    We are Americans. Not "Muricans".

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  16. ping-ping-clicka

wow! Tonio K. One of my favorite singer songwriters.:cool:

bsman likes this.
  17. ping-ping-clicka

As a home grown occupier my entire life, born and raised on the left coast, I am proud to be a merican. It's true Moma was a real ignorant redneck bigot, I won't deny, we just never agreed on anything. Where I'm from we drink wadda, go to the liberry, smoke bud and drive the chevy/ford down to the mini mall and get some suds. My using colloquialism from realistic every day this is how we speak round here, is not meant to offend, that's jus how we speak.
    To clarify I unner stan there are two different classes of mericans, theirs those of us that are AMERICANS, and those just folks , ,water wadder drinking, burger loving mericans , from your response I surmise that you self identify as an American which is your right and I support your right to do so. When you here the word merican please remember I not talkin' about you and yours I'm talkin' about me and mine and it has nothing to do with race, religion, social status, or intelligence. It's a way of self identifying indicating a frame of reference, including , cultural aspects differentiated by subtle aspects of cosmic orientation. take the word hippie coming out of one mouth it is identical to the preceding definition, from another mouth it is a terrible cultural slur, a pejorative, a put down with several negative connotations. Are you a hippie? Yes/No? I am and when folks use the term I am not offended, I take it as a statement of praise, a complement indicating a belief that peace, love and unner staning are positive thing to strive for.

18. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Best Guitar Parts/Sound Guitar Works (which I think are one in the same) are in Tacoma. I don't know if Dan still works there but he was with USACG for at least a few years before things went south. He was great to work with. All four of my partscasters have BGP necks. The best that I have tried so far, and I have had Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft, Allparts, and Might Mites necks over the years. I actually think that I am done with partscasters since I am satisfied with what I have.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There is a point system for immigration. I don't want to get it wrong, so I'll just say google it. I think Canada is pretty typical for citizenship. It takes several years and lots of paperwork. Luckily, when I did it we lived in Ottawa, so it was easy to go to meetings.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  20. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Wow......some folks sure are easily offended

Peltogyne, FLHT, Owenmoney and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.