USACG 24.75 Scale Length Conversion Neck "Problem" ?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by SparkleRedT, Apr 8, 2020.

1. SparkleRedT

SparkleRedT TDPRI Member

Hi,

I have a USACG Telecaster guitar neck that was ordered as a Gibson scale conversion neck several years back. I've been brushing up on my guitar setup skills this past week and measured the neck. The center of the 12th fret is 12 5/16" from the nut, or 1/16" shorter than the 12 3/8" inches that it should be for a 24.75" scale length neck.

I have a more recent Tele conversion neck from Sound Guitar Works and it measures exactly 12 3/8" at the center of the 12th fret.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on with my USACG neck? Thank you!

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Measure that USACG neck again.

if it is still the same, you could contact them to find out what is going on.

I would think it should work

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Can't you adjust the bridge saddles to make up for this? As long as the 12th fret is the same distance to the bridge and to the nut it should intonate fine. I'm not sure what the big deal is other than the neck doesn't spec out and you paid good money for it. That said, I think it would still work just fine.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  4. SparkleRedT

SparkleRedT TDPRI Member

The measurement is correct - I did it several times with different rulers to make sure. I can adjust the saddles, so it's no major deal - I was just wondering if there's something I was missing about conversion necks that had it come out this way?

It's odd to me because I know they used CNC machines. And as far as I know, they are out of business now. Didn't MJT buy them and shut down the custom shop?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I used to own an USAGC 24.75" conversion neck.
    I recall having to do a lot of adjusting on the saddles to get the intonation correct.
    Changing the saddle position will of course change the scale length.

Mark

Edit: It occurs to me that the nominal scale may not be the same as the actual scale of the neck. (I never measured mine.)
    As in, it may actually be 24.6", or 2.8" or ?? No matter. Should still be usable even if it isn't exactly 24.75".

AAT65 likes this.
  6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I think that’s likely exactly what’s going on here... Fender are pretty clear and consistent that the scale length they quote is twice the nut-to-12th-fret distance, as far as I am aware, but Gibson are vaguer and their scale lengths vary.
    I have a PRS SE 245 with a 24.5” scale (measured the Fender way) which is supposed to be pretty close to what Gibson call a 24.75”. A PRS McCarty 594 has a 24.594” scale to get even closer to the Gibson standard. I believe Gibson are including at least some of the intonation adjustment length (measuring nut to saddle for one of the strings, perhaps), and also I believe the scale length of Gibsons varies over the decades even though they always call it 24.75”.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  7. SparkleRedT

SparkleRedT TDPRI Member

Very interesting. Thanks for the comments. I did come across a forum post last night about how Gibson had small variations in the scale length of their Vintage guitars, but didn't think that it was a possibility here, as I came across other posts about recent conversion necks where they measured a perfect 12 3/8 at the 12th Fret just like my SGW neck does.

In any case it's no big deal - It was just a bit of a mystery to me last night and I appreciate the help in explaining what is going on.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I
    I just measured my Warmoth conversion neck, and I also get 12 5/16" from 12th fret to nut. When I installed my first conversion neck (this is my second) I had minimal adjustment to saddles to get perfect intonation. I think you're good.....maybe just a "little" OCD? ;)

9. SparkleRedT

SparkleRedT TDPRI Member

LOL! It's good to be a little OCD when adjusting intonation! Not like my ear pitch is that great, but that's probably more of a reason to nail it. It's interesting to find out there are different ways to do these conversion necks. I know USACG was former Warmoth guys and I think SGW is as well. But I guess they are using a different method or approach to make these.

All these necks are great. Never tried a Warmoth conversion but may in the future. Happy to learn a little bit more about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.