USA vs. Mexico Tremolo Units?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bob M, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have a Jazzmaster and Jaguar. I really have bonded with both. The only issue I have is with the tremolo in the Jaguar. I assume it is a MIM unit. It is stiff and not as smooth as the unit in my Jazzmaster. The JM unit is clearly a different part-it ha s the slide "lock" switch-the Jag unit doesn't have this switch. Is a MIA unit a direct replacement? Any help will be appreciated.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, but you may have to slightly enlarge the body route where the lock fits. Otherwise it's a boltin fit

Looking for tuning stability?

3. Bob M

No, the tuning is good. The unit doesn't operate as smooth as it should IMHO. I really haven't explored adjustment yet. Any advice?

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's worth using some solid lube on the pivot points. I had two JMs and I remember adjusting the spring had a lot to do with how smoothly they released and return to pitch.

Chapstick (natural) actually makes a good lube for contact points, it doesn't attract dust.

This is not a bad guide.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25516-diy-how-to-set-up-jazzmasters-jaguars?page=4

5. Bob M

Great info. Much appreciated. More complicated guitars than Teles for sure!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.