1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

USA: status of soccer vs. american football,basketball etc.?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Apr 14, 2021.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

Does soccer or football, as the rest of the world calls it, still have the reputation of helicopter-parents supported kids/girls sport or has it already arrived in the "men/dude" league?

2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Still mostly a girl's game in the US from what I've seen.

oldfish, Fretting out and Novak like this.
  3. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

I don’t think that it has/had a status like that in this part of the world (Europe). Historically speaking it started as a lower/working class sport in late 19, early 20 century… it was a rough sport and we all know that spectators (hooligans) before/during/after matches liked (and still do) to have a fight or two. This means fights between supporters of different teams and between spectators and police.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again here where I live kids and grownups play football a lot and usually there is no parents watching. I remember when I was a kid that we got injuries quite often when playing it (sometimes even broken legs or broken fingers and pain in crotch, head etc. – where the ball would hit you).

But maybe this is slowly changing now. First of all kids spend much more time playing football on computers or playing consoles now than they do on the playgrounds. Drinking alcohol has been forbidden for quite a while (on all sports events) where I live, so this also means less fighting of spectators. But the rules of football have also changed in the past years which means that there is much less contact allowed between players - this means that players are more "protected" but at the same time I dont like it, because it has become quite sterile (lots of fake "diving"). But I have also seen this in NBA for example where players expect to get free throws for "fouls" which are not fouls in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    braveheart likes this.
  4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The rest of the world is right.
    When you play FOOTBALL you use your FEET not your hands like the Americans do :lol:

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

you don't play these games sitting on a horse or sitting on a chair or prone on the ground...

you play on foot.... just as the infantry marched, on foot.... hence the games were foot games, football..;)

Henley, stormsedge and braveheart like this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Aussie Sam Kerr is scoring goals in England. Soccer in Oz is well supported in both mens and womans, regular season games on tv....

at least football/soccer/rugby is played internationally at a good standard... I like to watch our teams play against other countries...

the US womans team is pretty good.

oldfish likes this.
  7. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I think the world cup and EPL football are gaining in popularity, but no one wants to watch American men play “soccer” against other American men. Very unpopular.

Oldsmobum, Ricky D. and braveheart like this.
  8. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Always growing, but it’ll never sniff the big 4 North American sports.

Lawdawg, sax4blues and Ricky D. like this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

This! For the past 40 years I’ve heard supporters say that one day it will rival football, baseball, etc. It’s still nowhere close in popularity even with the ubiquitous youth leagues for both boys and girls. The majority of Americans really don’t fully “get it”.
    They feel like Ted Lasso.

Oldsmobum, sax4blues and buster poser like this.
  10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

That's probably because the US Women's National Soccer (Football) Team has won four Women's World Cups and four Olympic gold medals. The men's team sucks.

oldfish, tomkatf, dented and 2 others like this.
  11. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

the US women's team are currently the world cup holders. that's no fluke - you need good organisation at the top and proactive grassroots development at the bottom. it bodes well that the US Soccer Federation isn't as corrupt as most of the rest of the world so the game can develop properly into a sustainable sport played by all.

in ireland, we have seen the national leagues wither away and we don't produce top players with the same frequency as 20 or 30 years ago, largely because our footballing authority was old school inept with a CEO who's wage exceeded the cash prize for the team who won our league. they wouldn't invest in the league or the youth set up, so now our kids play other sports instead. it'll take years of investment in youth development to get back halfway to where we were.

50ShadesofOrange likes this.
  12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

In the US, the best male athletes don't play it.

13. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

Men’s soccer/football and the metric system. Two things that just won’t take in America.

It must be an emphasis and opportunity thing.

When I went to middle/high school a few decades ago, I could play (American) football, basketball or baseball through the school. I would imagine that’s still the team-sport options in all but the biggest schools.

As a result, the best athletes are playing other sports.

14. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

it's like that big ol' wall that separates you from mexico and the rest of south america, keeps out the soccer too.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

In America, we like scoring, action, some violence.

Hockey is very similar to soccer in its pacing, but at least there is some violence.

Football has the action. Basketball has the scoring.

I guess baseball is an exception for the most part, but it’s so entrenched as an American pastime that it seems to transcend.

Ive played soccer competitively growing up and in high school, my son is learning it now. But other than when I’m sick in bed and it’s all that’s on TV, I don’t care to watch it and I don’t follow it. I too have heard it’s on the rise for 25 years, but I think it’d have risen by now if it were going to be a major sport in the US. I think it’ll remain kinda niche.

16. El Serio

El Serio TDPRI Member

The MLS team near me gets a reasonable ampunt of press and turns out good crowds, but still nothing like the NBA team or the college football/basketball teams. My son plays Soccer along with many that he knows. The boys who are the most serious about sports still seem to quit soccer by junior high to focus on the football/basketball/baseball. I think it may rival baseball in a couple generations, basketball 3-4 generations and football in 100 years.

17. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Soccer/football is big in some cities/counties for young people (male and female) from the time they can walk through high school. Many areas have built soccer complexes with a dozen or more fields devoted solely to soccer, and host tournaments from before dawn to after dark (essentially whatever parents will stand) to get all the games in. My opinion is those playing get pulled off by other interests at the college level, although soccer remains a solid intermural/intramural sport. College level male and female players seem to remain in demand, with many scholarship opportunities.

There is a professional (male) team based in the city about thirty minutes from here, although I've not heard much about them since C19. They were supposed to begin play in the National Independent Soccer Association (NISA) last spring (2020). ((I just checked the all knowing internet and the Red Wolves started their season yesterday)). I'm not sure how many or what flavor professional soccer other cities support.

In our town, the only adult level of play I've witnessed appear to be regular scheduled meets between interested parties (male) amounting to pickup games (although jersey colors sometimes indicate there may be a bit of national pride/teaming up involved).

In general, I do not watch or support professional sports. There are many other things I can do with my time as a participant. My dollar2ninety8.

18. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You’re talking about Unamerican Football?

19. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

Growing up in the 70s I played soccer in Michigan because versus American football and basketball, it's somewhat unique as a major team sport in that wit soccer how tall or bult like a fridge you are determines your success or failure no matter how talented you are otherwise at those sports.

There are players in the EPL (Premier League) today who are 5'5''/6'' etc. Show me someone who is that height in the NFL or NBA. Hockey maybe, but you still need to be very strong. Check out the height and weight of one of the two greatest soccer players today, Lionel Messi.

The fact that I was a starting, all star team, etc., center midfielder in soccer whereas I couldn't even be the ball boy in football or basketball is why soccer is number 1 in the world; any one can be great.

Soccer seems to me to have come along a great deal in USA. The EPL games are on NBC sports all weekend. That wasn't the case in the 70s. I even heard an interview by Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) of Dave Davies (Kinks) and they were talking about how amazing it is that they could watch EPL for free on TV in the USA.

Women's soccer is great over here in England and my daughter plays for a good team and one of her teachers at school is on the Tottenham women's team. In the USA, the women do well but they have unfortunately ruined what should be a good thing by letting that nitwit Rapinoe be the spokesman and the league caving to certain cultural trends.

tomkatf and Tele-friend like this.
  20. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Chatanooga FC is NISA, the Red Wolves are USL League 2. Having 3 tiers of pro men's soccer helps keep the profile high. But the women's pro leagues keep folding here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.