USA STANDARD TELE 2009

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SPECTRUM001, Jan 13, 2020.

1. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Hi,

And hope everyone is well !

I recently acquired a really nice 2009 Standard. Light, with a great neck and feel. I absolutely love the neck pick-up, however find the bridge to be somewhat lacklustre.

Searching online, I have seen this comment been mentioned previously - it seems I am not alone in that appraisal.

So - I am thinking of trying a Texas Special or Custom 62 (this is just for the bridge, as I wish to retain the neck pick-up as is).

Here's my question - can anyone advise of dos and don'ts ?? Will my suggestions be compatible a) physically (ie are there any problems fitting replacement pick-ups) and b) with values/ohm ratings ?

As you may tell, I have never done this before, and do not want to spend a chunk of cash on something that was never going to work.

Any help would be greeatly appreciated !!!

Thanks guys - J

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

It's a simple swap, just a couple of wires to de-solder/re-solder, all tele bridge pickups are pretty much the same dimensions so there's no issues changing to a different one usually. The only time I've ever had any issues was fitting a stacked humbucker into a shallow route but that was a specific circumstance that isn't usually the case.

I like the texas specials but really the choices are unlimited, depending on what you are after.

3. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the heads up - that is a good start.

Obviously I welcome any opinion on the replacement. To try and explain - the stock 2009 neck pick-up has a gritty resonance, and is actually quite twangy, hence I really like it. The bridge is quite bright, however just a little....dull (no oomph).

I do not want to go down the SD Quarter Pound route, as I am not after a thick sound, just something a little more exciting than the stock 2009 thin bridge.

This may be less common, however I am quite a fan of the Tele middle position - when it hits the sweet spot, which of course is what I am looking for !!!

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

IIRC, prior to 2012'ish, Fender used unbranded alnico 5 pickups in its American Standard Tele's.

The scuttlebutt is that most folks LOVE the neck pickup in those Tele's, but are underwhelmed with the lackluster bridge pickup.

Those folks will also say that the alnico 5 Fender CS Texas Special bridge pickup complements the stock, unbranded Fender American Standard neck pickup very nicely.

5. FenderGuy53

Oh, and as Si G X mentioned, swapping pickups is "a walk in the park"!

Be sure to use flux, twist and tin wire ends, go one step at a time - and cover the guitar body!

6. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Cool - thanks !

Are there any opinions on the Custom 62 Bridge PU compatibility ?

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've heard that, also.

I just wanted to post and say, while normally I'm not a wild eyed fan of Fender Tele neck pickups, this A5 neck pickup just melts my heart, in an American or American Standard.

However, part of what is going on here IMO is, the bridge and bridge configuration of this American Standard is designed to favor the neck pickup by nature. Unlike something like a Baja or an AV52. And so even when you put the pickup set from the Baja (twisted tele neck, broadcaster bridge pickup) in this American Standard (as they did after 2011) the neck pickup STILL outperforms the bridge. Meaning, IMO, it ain't actually the fault of the pickups. This is just how American Standards are.

My silly solution therefore, is the O.P. plays this guitar, almost always on the Neck and buys a second, more Traditional Tele and uses the bridge pickup on that one. I say silly, but I do it all the time.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  8. FenderGuy53

Expensive solution for an "easy fix", boris. ;)

9. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Wow - Boris, are you saying that with the Standard bridge plate, you can never get a good bridge sound (ie you are suggesting I would need an ashtray bridge to get a true gritty tone) ??

I guess the proof would be in the experimentation, however I would hope that not to be the case...

10. boris bubbanov

These Standards were designed to use Fender Strat pieces parts, and to play and sound more "modern" than old tyme Teles did. Fender wanted the neck down closer to flush with the body, 22 frets, tilt neck - more of a heavy or shreddy design concept.

And so actually, that "Ashtray" bridge will NOT fit right, no matter what you do, on the guitar you have. Fender was perfectly happy to have the emphasis switch to the neck pickup, and leave the bridge pickup something less than perfect. I fought against this tendency on a bunch of these Am. Standards and then finally I accepted, they're really not for fingerpicking and all that. I mean, you CAN use them that way but they're not exactly intended for that. I would just seize the advantages your guitar has and embrace it - maybe get a more "Vintage" specifications Tele later and have the pair.

11. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Thanks for your further input Boris - yes I understand your context here, and I don't intend on changing the bridge. I agree with you that the circa 2009 Standard is exactly what it is, and does feel modern - which is fine by me.

As already mentioned, I simply want a little more ooomph, so I have re-angled the bridge pickup, rasing a tad, and it now has a little more life - certainly ok for the minute, and without affecting tuning or intonation (as far as I can tell).

I have also found a CS Texas Special Bridge at a good price - so for the sake of £40, and I am going to give it a try. Hopefully it will do the trick (ie maintain the integrity of the 2009 Standard whilst being a little stronger in bridge tone).

Will let you know how I get on.

I like the idea of acquiring a more "Vintage" spec at some point - any excuse huh !!?

12. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

sorry that does not read quite right - I do not intend on changing the actual bridge to an ashtray, however I am going to try out the TS bridge pickup...

13. boris bubbanov

We hear you.

The best advice I have heard, is just to use one's force of will, to make the Modern specifications American Standard sound "country". Use every trick you've ever learned to get more of that twang. We see our friends, our heroes do this. It can be done - it is just a lot of work at times. Requires a lot of focus. Don't get distracted when the pick or fingernail is colliding with things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.