USA Deluxe Ash Tele Neck Profile

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Little Timmy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Little Timmy

Little Timmy TDPRI Member

Hi All,
    First time post... and (shhhh)... non-Tele player. But I do have my Strat trem decked, and been known to play tele-licks :)

My next build is going to be a tele. I played a Deluxe Ash at GC recently and fell in love. Only thing I didn't love is the price. That isn't going to happen when I can build one for less than half.

I really like the neck profile. Anyone know the thickness spec. I know it's a U, w/ 1-11/16" width, 9.5"R and MJ frets. Felt kinda chunky, but even in my small hands, it was very comfy.
    Thanks

2. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Tele-Holic

You're in luck. I asked this question a while back and NOBODY knew. I tracked down someone in manufacturing at Fender who gave me the specs. Unfortunately my computer likes to randomly delete e-mails, so I lost the information to the exact size. However, I do remember that it was ~.77" thick at the 1st fret, and ~.91" at the 12th. So believe it or not, it's actually a pretty thin neck (at least at the head).

3. Little Timmy

Little Timmy TDPRI Member

That's shocking. Sure didn't feel that thin. I was guessing more around .850 or so. I've got an assortment of Strat necks and it didn't feel as thick the one that's around .890 at the first fret, but felt chunckier than the MIM Standards.

4. mralmostpopular

Yeah, I thought it was chunky at first too. I have yet to go to a guitar store with a set of calipers to confirm it (gonna have to go when it's not busy so I can be sneaky about it). It would seem to line up with the standard "D" shape neck profile that you can find at Musikraft or Guitar Mill (Guitar Mill being closer in size - albeit a bit thinner at the 12th), so I'm guessing that the Fender guy gave me the correct specs.

5. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

just asking - the deluxe has a "thin" C neck and the deluxe ash has a "thicker" U neck, no? I'm also interested in the thickness of the U-neck at 1st and 12th frets.

6. mralmostpopular

I confirmed that it is indeed .77 (actually .773) for the 1st, but it's .96 for the 12th, not .91 like I had thought.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.