1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

US Time Zones Question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Si G X, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I was chatting to my kids about this earlier.

I really want to ask someone who lives in one time zone but works in another how that works? If I'm correct there's some states that are 2 different zones, so if you lived near that 'border' you could leave for work at 8am and get there for 7.30am? .. or whatever.

This is probably a silly question, but when you live in a country with only one time zone it's kind of interesting and difficult to imagine. :)

Does anyone have any experience of this?

2. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Lots of used DeLorean dealerships near those borders.

P-Nutz, pixeljammer, imwjl and 3 others like this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I imagine if you need to be somewhere at 9am, you need to be there when it's 9am there, and not elsewhere.

So if your traveling is all in one time zone and your commute takes an hour, leave home at 8am.

If you're crossing time zones from west to east (from "where it's earlier" to "where it's later"), leave home at home's 7am (which is work's 8am).

If you're crossing from east to west, leave home at home's 9am and get to work at work's 9am.

Si G X likes this.
  4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My brother is in Indiana. For years it was up to the counties if they wanted to switch to daylight saving time or not. I'm in Minnesota half the year him and I were on the same time and half the an hour off. Kinda inconvenient for me.
    For him living in that mess he had to remember which county was on what time. Might have a 20 mile drive to meet a customer and be an hour late or an hour early. Plus they were right on the Eastern/Central timeline. I believe they've standardized that backward state now and it's all on Eastern Standard time.
    I spent time in wester North Dakota and Eastern Montana by the Central/Mountain time line is. You simply can not trust the time on a cell phone there! They pick up a tower across the line and you're an hour off! We always had guys sleeping in because they used their phones for alarm clocks.
    I spend a good deal of time a few years ago traveling all over the lower 48, Canada and Alaska, so I wear a watch set to Central time. Only way to keep some time reference to the home office, when your cell phone is constantly changing.

AAT65 and Si G X like this.
  5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, yeah that was exactly the kind of things I was wondering about.

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Just thinking about this. My first flip phone, whatever it was, would tell you what time zone it was in. Maybe you had to hit a button but it was easy enough for me to figure out, and you could pick a time zone and lock it. After that one I never knew when they switched or figured out how to lock um in one zone.

7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Si G X likes this.
  8. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

9. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

I'm frequently in two different time zones on the same couch... See above.

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I would think the person would probably adjust to his work time and track that. Would be a problem. Be tough if it changed in the middle of your house. Military uses GMT to stay consistent.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Time zone boundaries have moved around a lot over the years. Atlanta used to be in central time. Detroit has moved back and forth between eastern and central.

The boundaries move mostly in response to where commerce moves. If most of your business is in EST you might want to be on EST. But Daylight saving adds a new complexity, because it can put you close to two hours away from solar noon, which feels weird

Si G X likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

In California we live in the:

[​IMG]

swervinbob likes this.
  13. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Tennessee is an example of a state in the eastern and central time zones. The state line between GA and AL is a dividing line for a time zone, and there are communities that essentially straddle the state line from an economic and social perspective even though they are distinct from a sovereign perspective. Years ago, I worked with people that lived across the line in AL, and they simply functioned on GA time during the week because they were due for work and left work on GA time.

Si G X likes this.
  14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

In Atlanta, GA we are not that far from the western boundary of the eastern time zone. I have visited NH and Maine in the spring and they are in the same time zone, but I noticed that in spring and summer the sun will rise there during the 5 o'clock hour because they are farther east.

Si G X likes this.
  15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I left Australia in an aircraft . After spending a total of 23 hours in the air , I arrived home in the eastern USA 3 hours after I left Australia .

16. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My wife and I live in Illinois and both of us work 25 miles away in Indiana. We leave the house at 615am CST to get to work at 8am EST. However, we leave Indiana at 5pm EST and get home at 440pm CST. I just mentally and on my phone use CST except while at work.

Telecaster88 and Si G X like this.
  17. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

And farther north as well.

18. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I spent a lot of time in Cibola, Arizona, on the Colorado River between Yuma and Blythe.
    Arizona does not change it's clocks for daylight savings, but California does.
    California is Pacific time, Arizona is Mountain time.
    This was before cell phones existed.
    We never knew what time it was.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.