1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

US Mail, how's it working for you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I wrote a check at the town hall today to renew my car registration but I literally never ever mail anyone a check.
    Online debit card for all my bills, or on the phone with my card info on file at the utility.

Well OK I take that back, I hand a sewer district check in the envelope with the stamp on it, to a postal worker who repeatedly refused to date me in the '70s, ask her to please hand carry it to the Sewer District mail box, and thank her very much.
    I think she likes me better now, FWIW.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Florida banks take 7-10 days to process an online bill payment?
    Is this like Florida man?

Actually my wife has an acct at a Florida bank, and after her card was hacked, it took them three weeks to replace her card.
    I can walk into my bank here in redneck Maine and they make me a new card in a few minutes, even has the newfangled chip!

Obsessed, nojazzhere and Ironwolf like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Just a general comment as a foreigner- way too expensive.
    I gave a set of pickups away to a member here and it worked at a few cents under $20 to send to him. He sent the money to my account and I promptly sent the pickups on. That cost him less than $20 for a set of pickups. too expensive for postage costs using any US Postal system for me to be bothered.

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Did they stop delivering or just to your address? Carriers are not required to deliver to an address unless there is a safe walkway so if the sidewalk isn't cleared off, many will just hold your mail until it is safe to approach. I have a house on my route that uses a single lane 400 foot driveway up a steep hill to reach it. After our winter storm, I attempted to reach the house only to have my progress stop halway up the hill. Slid backwards about 200 feet (with the wheels spinning forward) and nearly went down the ditch into the woods. That house didn't receive mail or packages for 4 days until it was passable.

As far as I know, no offices shut down for winter storms except maybe in Texas. I know we didn't, 14 inches of snow and temps of -20 for 2 weeks yet we kept running. One carrier is still waiting to see if he is going to lose his fingers due to severe frostbite...poor bastard's fingers are black from the palm to tip.

tanplastic, nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  5. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

you sent them from within the US? And it cost $20? I’d wonder what service. They’ve got priority flat rate boxes that will hold pickups just fine for $7.65.

6. Tonetele

No I had them here in Australia. As he was getting them free from me he sent the money to me, i posted the pickups to him. All good all around.

Huddy likes this.
  7. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I've sold about 15 items on ebay in the past 90 days - 2 didn't make it in a timely manner, one took 8 days and it was Priority, altho it was during the storm a few weeks ago.

In general USPS is very good. I've shipped stuff all over the world, with almost no problems - it almost always gets there.

8. Tonetele

Me Green Genes That seems to be common worldwide. Shipping /flight of goods seems to be the future and less from postal services. Here in Oz we get mail every two days. They're cutting back.
    Boxes, made by our Mr. Pratt Junior ( I know his distribution manager's ex- wife) based in Atlanta as it's your biggest freight airport seems to be the future. By online, pay for Pratt packaging/insurance and the goods come to you.
    What then the future of small businesses?

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Most of my payees it's 2-5 days...but for whatever reason the water bill takes 7-10. Not sure if it's the bank or the utility on that one.

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

lol, well you might consider coming out of the dark ages and start paying bills online.

I haven't written a check in years. I haven't had any problems on the handful of times I've used the US Mail in the last year or so, but again, hasn't been that often that I've used it.

getbent likes this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Our bank offers a bill paying service where you list the payee and the date and of course the amount.
    5 days before the date you get an email with a link.
    You open the link and click a box, then the bill is paid on the day you set.
    I was very reluctant to rely on this to take care of paying my bills. But my daughter used the service with same bank for a couple of years and loved it.
    On accounts where the balance may vary each month like my VA copay, you open the link fill in the amount, click PAY and you’re done.
    It has worked flawlessly for several years now and I now do not have any account that is handled by mail. No check to write, no letters to mail, no postage. The service is free and paying bills is no longer dependent on the post office.

getbent likes this.
  12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A couple things took forever in December, but it’s perfectly fine now.

13. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I read about the apparent mail issues in the US, that was several months ago. Around the same time, I ordered some dry goods, about 15 pounds, from a company in South Carolina. I'd say within a week of placing the order, it was on my doorstep in Toronto, Canada. It was shipped by USPS. I'd say that was blisteringly fast.

I also ordered a t shirt from a jazz singer in NYC. She was a little slower shipping it, but it also arrived quickly once it was shipped by USPS.

I'm waiting on a record that I just ordered from Jon Batiste. It hasn't shipped yet, but I'll chime in again once it does and it arrives. Prior to the pandemic, I ordered several LPs from US sellers on Discogs. Some of those orders appeared to take weeks, and when you order off that site, it lets you know when an item has been shipped. Not all of them use USPS though, some use FEDX, UPS,...

getbent and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

As many others have said, there are very specific reasons why the USPS service level has gotten worse recently, and we cannot discuss these here.

I find our mail carriers and the staff at the local post office to be friendly and hard-working without exception; I have had very few problems personally with the post office - maybe a package delayed around the holidays but nothing that rises past the level of minor inconvenience. A business I work with still has some vendors who do not want to be paid electronically and some customers who prefer to pay by check, so I am aware of around 80 checks making their way through the USPS each month (we greatly reduced the number in the last year, it was closer to 175 prior to about a year ago) - in 2018 and 2019, we had 2-3 checks lost in the mail total (incoming and outgoing) out of probably 4,000 or more. In the last 12 months, we have had 7 lost out of around 1,000, plus a few that were delivered at least a month late, so there has definitely been a measurable decline.

Given my experiences with the individuals performing the work, I assume these delays are the result of asking a group of people to work longer hours to do more work with less equipment.

boredguy6060 and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Here in Tampa we've seen some slowdowns but in general it's always been slow-ish. I did go paperless whenever offered years ago so it's not too much of an inconvenience bill-wise. I use UPS and try to avoid Fed-Ex when shipping something.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

All shippers are having challenges these days. Earlier in the week the Wall St. Journal also covered the relatively new UPS CEO changing to pursue only quality or most profitable customers. Our post office near @blowtorch does a good job.

Yesterday a woman delivering mail had a problem with box or something part in front of our driveway and then her old rickety USPS van didn't start right away. I hope it helped her day that i was nice and patient when she was worried that new, her employer and race were all knocks against her.

After pay electronically, try to be nice and understanding with service and first line workers. Most have had a really hard time 12+ months now. I'm in leadership where we have a lot of employees and really see it adding up. Give a wave, an elbow knock, wish them well in challenging times. It will help them and probably make you feel better too.

Milspec, GeneB, tanplastic and 2 others like this.
  17. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Good thing. Now that the SSA doesn't send the paper statements every year, you have to have an online account to see things. Fine, but they send you the account activation code by mail. Except they don't. Or USPS doesn't deliver it.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I AM in Texas. (Ft Worth)
    But yeah, no delivery anywhere. (here) I understand and agree that we don't want our mail carriers risking their lives in bad weather, but that's why I mentioned that I (and a few others) had no trouble getting around. I made my daily eight mile trip to check on my 95 year old mother without trouble. (in fact, even with driving a bit slower, it took about the same time....because of fewer cars on the road) I understand that we here aren't as equipped to deal with bad weather as many of you are, but we DIDN'T have 14 inches of snow. (like you did) And, in fairness, the Post Office was not the only business to shut down.....many entities just wanted a couple of "snow day" holidays every now and then. ;)

Milspec and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It's poorer lately, and that is obviously deliberate or is an unintentional outcome of slowing it down last year. I could draw us all a diagram, but it would be a very simple diagram.

20. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a package that arrived at my local "distribution center" on Thursday.

Still waiting for it...

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.