1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

US Mail, how's it working for you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've always had nothing but good to say about the USPS.....everyone I encounter, from the carriers to the folks inside the Post Offices have been super......BUT ....a couple weeks ago we had two or three days of snow. I had NO difficulty getting around on the roads, but our mail delivery STOPPED COMPLETELY. I know that motto of :...neither rain nor sleet nor...."etc is only unofficial, but it "officially" did not apply for those few days. Sorry guys......maybe you've run your course. :(

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Tele-Meister

There's a reason it's slow and it's deliberate and if you don't know the reason why, you should have a newspaper or magazine of some kind delivered to you.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I have had to get at least one bill by email because by the time I got it, I didn't have the 7-10 days my bank needs for online bill pay.

That bummed me out, but I can live with that. What I can't deal with is the fill-in mail carrier repeatedly damaging my packages or stuffing packages too large for my box into it (behind the large mailbox door at my complex...the door of my box is smaller than the opening when the big door is open). This is particularly galling when we have postal lockers that they don't use (they put it in the locker and put the key in your box). I've been to my post office a half dozen times in the last year and a half about damaged mail. Nothing gets done. It's infuriating. If I ever performed like that at any job I ever had, I'd have been promptly fired.

Often they leave packages outside my door, and while that's not preferable either, at least I can get them and they arrive undamaged. Thankfully we don't have trouble with package thieves where I am.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Mine has nothing to do with money or bills and is not eligible to be online because of signature. My Medical authorization came 2 weeks after it was sent. I looked at the date and I was shocked. Luckily the pharmacy called them to get the auth over the phone. Slow is the word.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Well where I live there is no USPS delivery. If you want mail you have to get a PO Box. The Post Office is a contractor , not actually operated by the PO, and mail to go out has to be there by 10:30 They open at 10 if the contractor is on time.

FWIW UPS and FEDEX BOTH pick up and deliver to my house!

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

7. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I have been agitated because I have had some outgoing bills in the mailbox for almost a week with the flag up, tonight I got home from work and just took them out and drove to the post office...I’m not sure what’s up because it’s never been a problem before. I guess that’s what I get for still mailing checks

8. Toto'sDad

I made it clear that I was not lodging a complaint. I have nothing against the US Mail. Having said that, you can incur quite a loss of money in late charges through no fault of your own if the mail is now running slower than usual. I posted to see if a sampling of people were having a problem. From the posts I've received it seems altogether possible that it is a problem now due to one or more factors. I have been reluctant to change, but it seems I'm going to have to devise a plan for getting my bills paid on time whether I like it or not. I'm not oblivious to the factors that could be influencing the delivery of mail. I see the mail truck across the street from me delivering mail every weekday, and Saturday, I guess I just thought it was running okay.

blowtorch likes this.
  9. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Obviously, there have been changes made in the processing of mail.
    'Nuff said there.

Another component, which I have experienced, is the recipient of the bill payment holding the payment until it is overdue in order to--ahem--encourage you to sign up for Autopay, which is easier for them.
    Talking to you AT&T.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Our Rural Carrier is great. He always has treats for the dogs when the package is too large for the Mailbox. The same with our UPS Driver. FedEx delivered a package 3 miles away about a months ago but the man who got it drove it over and delivered the package. I switched over to online for all our recurring bills I think business would rather receive payments electronically and delay mailed in bills. Have you ever noticed how Credit Card companies mail bills from one coast and then receive them on the other coast increasing chances of your payment being late

nojazzhere, dougstrum and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Actually your scenario is what prompted me to post my question. One organization which I carry a sizable balance with each month has been bugging me to sign up for autopay. I'm going to pay, so I really don't know why I'm objecting to the autopay. This past month, they sent me a warning three days before the bill was due and payable and that service charges would be applied if it wasn't there on time. That very day, the check cleared, but I experienced three such late arrivals this month. Another time I paid electronically, and the check cleared the next day, then I had to apply for my own money back, which I did get, but it's just too much hassle.

Gonna put on my thinking cap, and simplify how I'm doing things. I don't like hassle, period.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

we don't get usps delivery at our house, we have to go to the post office. Over the past few years, we've come to know and like them very much. We know their personalities and we can tell when things are good and not so good. Our service is pretty slow and amazon has lately moved to home delivery (everything used to go to the post office) but overall, I think they do the best they can.

I have been overwhelmed with Amazon, so fast, and deliveries 7 days a week, all hours... what a pace.

I'd give USPS a B overall and our local people... A (they get extra credit for effort)

nojazzhere, dougstrum and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

I'll have to check into that. Thanks for the heads up.

14. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

So I stuff something into an envelope and send it somewhere hundreds or even thousand of miles away, and all this cost me is 55 cents? Bargain.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep. Be kind to your mail carrier.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 Yup. I think it will get back to "better", but it will take time. Patience.

Slow Reflexes and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Delayed, just like everyone else.
    My paycheck, the wife's retirement and SS are all direct deposit.
    I pay ALL of my bills online.
    The delays haven't really impacted me all that much.
    I still find the USPS more reliable than UPS or FedEx.

18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't had a problem until recently. I bought some Fender locking tuners for my Performer Strat (my avatar) from a dealer in Pennsylvania. They shipped them First Class, and they went from Penn. to NJ, then to Florida, and then to Northern California, where they've been sitting for two days. They shipped them on the 16th. It took two weeks to get from Penn. to California. Now I have no idea how long it's gonna take before they make it on a plane to Hawaii. For all I know, they'll go from Oakland to LA or a few other places in California first, lol. I don't know why they didn't just get on a plane from Penn. to here to begin with. I got free shipping, but I coulda gotten Priority Mail, which is 4 days, for $5. I guess I shoulda gone that route (no pun intended). FWIW, the local mail service here is exemplary, as is UPS, and FedEx. I guess they all still have the Aloha spirit here.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

Hit or miss. I get stuff from California or Phoenix 3 times a week via USPS. I usually get everything within 2-3 days. Two weeks ago it took 5-7 days. I send out 10-20 packages per day. If it stays on the east coast all is fine - 2-3 days. I have noticed issues when they go to Michigan, Minnesota, or Wisconsin type areas... they can go 4-5 days without a scan. Going back to the west coast is generally okay as well.

keep in mind these are all parcels/packages, not letters.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

no one in an office processing the paper work or paper checks .people still at home working. its not the mail its the pandemic side affect.

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.