1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

US Mail, how's it working for you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm hoping I'm not doing anything wrong here. We talk about UPS, FEDEX, and USPS all the time, so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in posting this. We have for years paid our bills on the day we get them, or the very next day. We don't hold any of them, we pay them promptly upon receipt. Lately we've run into two problems. A: The bills being quite a bit late arriving. B: Paying the bills as much as two weeks and sometimes a little more ahead of billing date, and they are not getting to the billing department on time.

This is not a complaint, just a question of has anyone on the forum noticed a similar trend. If so, and it is a problem, we're going to have to take corrective action, and come up with a new plan for paying our bills. If the US Mail is not working, I'll have to decide what will require the least amount of intrusion into our bank accounts in order to do the everyday normal business of living.

Sometimes you guys come up with different ways of doing things, that I haven't even considered. I'm not old school, I'm like I was there when they delivered the lumber to build the school that old school people came from.

2. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Been very slow here too. I think they call it "snail mail" for a reason.

RoscoeElegante and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Online banking, brother.

4. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Even if the transit time is increased it should still be post marked on the date it was first processed by the USPS. Are your bill collectors not being understanding of this? Don't forget that if it's taking longer for your payment to reach them, it took just as long as the bill to reach you. Almost every website I log on to has a banner at the top stating that the mail is slow and to please be understanding of this. I think it should work both ways, and the bill collectors should be understanding too!

I still do DVDs through NetFlix. It's taking a lot longer to mail back and receive new DVDs. I'm paying the same monthly fee, and yet I can't get as many DVDs per month as I use to. That's really not fair, but I'm being understanding about it. I think bill collectors should too!

I think the obvious answer would be to start paying your bills online. Everyone accepts online payments these days. Some companies will let you set up automatic payments if you can't be bothered with it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

It’s gotten slower. I saw an article recently taking USPS to task for what the delivery dates really mean.

Toto'sDad and SRHmusic like this.
  6. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

garbage; I've stopped buying items online that use it, and have stopped offering it as a shipping service on items I'm selling.

gitold and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Slower than in the past, and we seem to be missing things that should have been mailed in January. We pay most bills through online methods, though.

gitold, Toto'sDad and P Thought like this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I have exactly one paper bill, a mortgage, with a credit union. It is the only check I write most months. I went through a 2 week, 4 step process with 2 stage verification to open an online "account" there and all I can do is look at my statement, not online payment or auto payment, so seriously stupid.

That said, except for that 1 bill and the annual car renewals from the county I really don't need mail. Except for parcels. And the pedal I bought on February 14th that shipped USPS 2-day arrived today! See what I did there? But that's 16 days to travel 200 miles for the price of 2-day freight. Even if you take a week off work for snow that's still 11 days. So I'm not feeling the love. I would have driven from Austin to Dallas if I knew in advance it would take that long.

Last year our neighborhood letter box got broken into (we have a apartment style group post boxes every block instead of mailboxes at the houses). The service door was removed and it stayed that way for 5 weeks before they repaired it. We have no idea what happened to our mail during those 5 weeks. Not delivered, not at the post office to pick up. Just gone. No explanation. Not feeling the love. I'm sure it was 90% catalogs for bath robes or women's running shoes or whatever. But what else?

So prices are increasing and service is declining concurrently. One or the other I can live with, not both.

Is that what you're asking?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well, we were promised the "best" and the "brightest". None of them matched that description.

10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Go paperless. Haven't mailed a letter or written a check in years.

USPS does a great job in my locale. Consider signing up for USPS Informed Delivery. I get a daily email with a scan of all the mail and packages I'm getting that day.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    gitold and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Slow as molasses in a Minnesota January. A suggestion to help control things. Set up an account you can transfer the correct funds to each month. Then pay the bills online using the special account. This protects your main account. You should be able to pay the monthly bills on your time schedule just as you do now. You don't have to set up auto pay.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I found out the hard way that an envelope picked up by the letter carrier may not be postmarked for four days. If you need proof of a postmark, you’d better send it certified and get a return receipt. Priority mail can take three days to California. There’s no more promise of overnight service.

Our regular letter carrier is reliable. Fill ins not so much. Our regular letter carrier is one of our dog’s best friends. They made friends the week we brought Tiberias home. She always has a treat and a pat on the head for her.

Postal workers are like workers elsewhere. Most of them do their best in trying circumstances. A few show up, do the minimum required and leave at the end of the day. The workers, good and not so good, aren’t responsible for the malfeasance and ineptitude of those at the top.

P Thought likes this.
  13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc suck here. USPS has been the best way to ship a package or send a letter/bill/payment. Lately USPS has fallen down on the job.
    The reasons are varied and non-discussable here.
    Everything has changed and either we adapt or become extinct

Mr Green Genes and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was an early adopter of auto-payments and online banking. I write about 6 checks/year, and two of those are my property taxes. For bills that don't use auto-deduct, I either use online payments or send checks via Quicken Bill Pay. I guess I have been lucky, but have never had trouble with any of this. Been 30 years or so.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

slow and sloppy around here. i ordered a tony iommi monkry decal awhile back, never saw it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's my response, copied from a thread on this subject from late last year:

My oldest son started delivering mail a few months back.

He busts his butt 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week and sometimes more than that.
    Sometimes he'll go 10 days without a day off.

He's lost 30 pounds in no time at all.

He's had to use mace on dogs.
    He's been accused of upsetting our election process.
    When his own son was stillborn, he got a total of three days away from work to grieve that loss.
    When he came back, co-workers were all "hope you enjoyed your vacay, while we covered for ya"
    Sundays he delivers people their cast iron pots and pans that they order- the USPS does a LOT of Amazon business. Lots don't know that, I didn't.

When he started, I told a woman I know who is also a mail carrier, she was like, "I am so sorry"

Be kind to your mail carrier

17. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

It’s slower than it used to be. I make an effort to use the service for anything that I can because I don’t want it to go away, which seems to have been the objective.

Mr Green Genes and SRHmusic like this.
  18. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

Extremely slow here. I sold a Tele neck online and shipped it USPS on the 16th of February. As of the 21st of February it is still in transit. Apparently Milford, CT to Philadelphia, PA takes weeks to get there. They say it's because of all the craziness going on.

19. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

It has been terrible here for the last year.
    Our carrier and the woman at the P.O. are great, but any mail that has to go through the Richmond distribution center enters some kind of time vortex. When mail gets to Richmond all bets are off:rolleyes:

SRHmusic likes this.
  20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

All of the logistics services have been terrible for the past year or so. For example, I received a package from FedEx today, it took three days to get from Anaheim, CA to Olive Branch, MS, and five days to get from Olive Branch to here. Three days go go half way across the continent, and five to go half way across a state.

I've been a UPS-hater for years, but right now I trust them more than USPS or FedEx.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.