UPS left my last guitar on the porch today - seriously I'm all done!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Skydog1010, Jul 10, 2019.

Am I the only one that loves 7.25 inch radius necks?

1. Yes

27.9%
  2. No

72.1%
  1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

He left this - and I unwrapped it for him to see it - he's like; " your guitar is all beat up!!!" (probably thinking shipping claim, right?) - I said, "Yeah I had to pay extra for that whooping they put on the body and neck." Then he asked the magic question - how many guitars do you have? I replied (the golden BB) - "I don't know!" wife chimed in over my shoulder, that this is my last one until all projects are completed and I sell something. I'm thinking well, I really don't have anything I would consider selling except those 11 pound Les Pauls'. I say nothing, I have already said too much.

I always heard that when you say "I don't know." to the how many ya got question you are probably getting pretty close to a completed collection.

Here she is: (nothing spectacular other than the way she plays and sounds...omg what a set of pups)

Black Road Worn Strat 50's.jpg

DonM, stanger, lineboat and 21 others like this.
  2. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

the reason I asked the question about 7.25 inch necks, I had never played one before last year, now I can't keep my paws off the things, I think I'm hooked.

Shuster likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Congratulations! Nice Strat! I also love 7.25"-radius necks. I just *had* to try one, and--voila!--now somehow all my Teles have 7.25"-radius necks. Enjoy!

lineboat and Skydog1010 like this.
  4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I m real particular about p-ups, and the acoustic sound , but every radius is fine w me from flat to 7.5. I detune to D and bend like crazy, but I ve never had the bend fretting out problem.You just have to adjust finger angle and pressure while bending.I have noticed 7.5 is much better for easy bar chording.

5. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Very nice, congratulations!

Skydog1010 likes this.
  6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Didn't know how much I dug them, till I bought MIJ Tele with 7.5, and I'm hooked!! Mine has a nice fat neck with that radius, now it's my go to Tele!

Fretting out likes this.
  7. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

Nice Roadworn!

I dig the vintage radius myself!

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Lovely!! What is it? I’d have said an AV56 but the relic job says no…

Anyway: 7’25’’ and nothing else on a Fender guitar for me (I make exceptions only for my trusty Baja 60s tele, dating from before I Saw the Light).

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats. Maple on black Strat is just classically cool.

My high was either 15 or 16 electric and acoustic. I’m down to 8 right now but that number will get smaller. My guess is that I’ll end up with 4 when all is said and done.

I would never accumulate a large collection again. It was foolish and counter productive. I enjoy the guitars i have more because I play them more and they don’t sit in cases. There are fewer hassles with fewer guitars.

11. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Nice guitar! But you are never done. I bought my “last” guitar three guitars ago and I’m still shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howardlo likes this.
  12. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

You are suffering from classic LGD (Last Guitar Day). This happens after any number of NGDs. Symptoms include guiltanimus spousum, credititus displasia, closetia overcrowdum, and otherhobbyes minimus. Fortunately, all of these conditions are treatable with MoreBuyum, available at most drug stores.

13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Happy NGD. I have a roadworn tele and I love that neck and 7.25" radius fretboard so overwhelmingly much that I'm half thinking about adding a roadworn strat just to have a similar feeling neck on a strat. Problem is I have a hardtail Robert Cray strat that I dearly love and I can't justify having multiple strats, even to myself. I could try swapping out the neck for a roadworn neck but I did that with a Jimmie Vaughan neck and, as much as I liked the neck, the guitar just wasn't the same. And I've since had the original neck pleked, so I'm not messing with the Cray again. And with a roadworn I'd also get into blocking the trem again - I'm just a hardtail guy. So I SHOULD just be happy to have the great feeling roadworn tele and the DIFFERENTLY wonderful feeling Cray strat and not always get hung up on having everything JUST EXACTLY PERFECT because maybe they already are? But every time I see a roadworn strat and knowing how much I'd probably like it, I can't deny I want one.

Enjoy your's man - whether you realized it or not, you're playing it for two of us!

-Ray

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

So we vote "no" if we DO like 7.25" radius fingerboards???

15. Foxguy

Foxguy TDPRI Member

That looks like a "newer" one (yellow sticker)
    So either that or NOS.
    Could you please post a photo showing the wear on the neck if that is in fact a newer one?
    I had one of these a long time ago and miss it (same color)
    Wear on body looks similar but I read they changed the look of the wear on the neck some time ago.

16. Foxguy

Foxguy TDPRI Member

If you go to guitarcenter.com for instance, they show the fretboard from frets 13-21 almost totally worn!
    Looks horrible, yours looks much better.
    That's why I'm interested in if yours is indeed a newer one (per headstock date)

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I also don't have any problems with 7.5" fretting out. I'm thinking someone made that up.

I don't even find it easier on a flatter radius. Sometimes I mess up, but that has nothing to do with the radius.

lineboat and Teleterr like this.
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, I think I meant 7.25",.

19. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

I know I'm old school, but to me, the distressing on your guitar is about all I would ever buy on a new guitar. I really don't like the heavily-distressed look at all, except when it's genuine and on an actually old instrument.
    If I'm buying a new guitar, I want it to be as nice, fresh, and shiny as possible. But I don't mind a little mild distressing if it makes a new guitar look like it was played often, but cared for.
    regards,
    stanger

20. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

I did and do.... and started to collect 25 years or so ago. I sold the first of my collected guitars in the last 2 years or so and out-performed the stock market!!! Just make sure you buy guitars that have a reason to go up in price. Reasons might include : Brand, Model, history, no longer being produced, special collection items, color, originality (no mods) and that means you need to be serious in studying guitars and all of these facets of guitars. And I am not counting the fun I am having.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.