1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

UPS guy delivers empty package. Now what?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by flathd, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

if you can contact UPS locally and let them know you need a damage inspection, and you want a supervisoe to come out , take pictures and forward them to the shipper so they can start a claim from they're end , or use the 1800 number an let them know you need an on site inspection immediately

in my case i was lucky as I was the supervisor for Canada post , my wife was the supervisor for purolator and purolator was training the UPS staff. ( stories she told me about their operations were things of nightmares) I had to jump through some hoop but had all my ducks in a row , if you get no satisfction contact ebay again get a case # and follow up with them do not hesitate as the clock is ticking report any responce from the shipper and answer only through Ebay( so they have a record of it) , they have already ruled for you and they can get your money back!stay vigillant

best of wishes

flathd likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

This has become so prevalent nowadays. I received a small envelope for something that should have been a pretty sizable package. I shot video of me opening it to anticipate arguing with PayPal. I just got a notification that they contacted the seller and got the " we shipped it, heres the tracking number" which doesnt mean squat if the tracking number doesnt exist.

flathd likes this.
  3. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

Happened to me in 2020.

We were keeping grandkids every day while their parents worked, so I gave two of them piano lessons. (I'm not really a piano teacher, but I play, can read music, and they were learning, since they had played musical instruments in school.)

I ordered the part two books. It was labeled "Adult Instruction Course". The word "piano" did not appear in the description. I figured, at some point in the shipping path, some pervert saw the word "adult" and "instruction course" and thought it was a s*x manual. And took it.

I did get credit for it. By that time, a local music shop had opened back up, so we masked up, drove to the mom-and-pop brick-and-mortar, and purchased it there.

All is well.

4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah. it's the seller's problem/responsibility now to fight UPS for the money. not yours. ebay should make him refund. and receivers can't initiate insurance/refund claims with UPS anyway, only senders.

flathd likes this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Did you happen to buy an air guitar? That would explain things.

archetype, ale.istotle and flathd like this.
  6. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Ugh. Sorry that happened to you.

flathd likes this.
  7. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

He sent it, the package (when shipped) weighed 8.3 lbs. When it was delivered, it weighed about 0.3 lbs. It was a lame packaging job.

I told eBay the box tore open and the sign was lost in shipping, due to a poor packaging job. I doubt very much that the sign fell out unnoticed. It was heavy steel, 25" in diameter, and weighed 8.3 lbs. I think someone took advantage of the situation and took it home.

There was incompetence in every link of this shipping chain, starting with the packaging.
    When I showed the UPS delivery guy the empty package his reply was "It should have been packaged better." :rolleyes:

Ha, ha, you haven't seen my air girlfriend, have you?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Torren61 likes this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Pinky? (Zappa reference)

flathd likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You ordered a sign? Without violating forum rules, can you indicate what kind of sign you ordered and who you ordered it from?

There are ongoing "sign scams" that are basically schemes to collect money from buyers just long enough to make it worthwhile, then fold up and disappear. The companies are ostensibly in the US and process transactions in the US, but the majority of shipments originate in Asia where the manufacturing is. In these scams your purchase is one or more of the following:
    1. Late
    2. Poor quality
    3. Missing from the box
    4. Incomplete
    5. "Fulfilled," yet never arrives.

It's bad enough that PayPal is chasing the scammers who are processing CC transactions through PP. It's whack-a-mole and there's little to be done about it.

My household fell victim to this nonsense and I researched it.

10. Hibernian

Hibernian TDPRI Member

Understood you used PayPal? Then contact them immediately. By default they side with the buyer (ask me how I know some other time). Am sure this stuff happens so you won't be the first. Unless you are in a hurry for resolution, let them handle it.

flathd likes this.
  11. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Yes. In fact, when this happened to me, I literally took the pic when the UPS dude was standing there and then at the same time, I had him open up a claim right then and there... while we were standing on my porch. That way there was no question as to whether or not I took the item etc. and claimed the box was empty etc. etc.

flathd likes this.
  12. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

A similar thing happened to me with a USPS Priority box of expensive hard to find vintage Triumph motorcycle parts from England, all small. Mail carrier left it on my ft porch with a fist size hole in the side and half the parts missing. I got no wear with any kind of claim, na da.

13. flathd

Before someone says "pics or it didn't happen." Here's the package. One fricken' piece of packing tape to seal the ends. The box is 32" x 32", and the sign was 25" in diameter and weighed 8.3 lbs., and heavy porcelain and steel, about the weight of a Telecaster or light Les Paul.

UPS package 003.JPG

This is why I always leave positive feedback when the seller does a good packaging job. I always mention it in the feedback. It's the seller's responsibility to do a good packing job, and this yo-yo isn't getting positive feedback.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  14. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Torren61 and ale.istotle like this.
  15. flathd

It was an older porcelain reproduction sign from the U.S. It was probably from the 80's and I knew that, and the seller is from the US.

I might do that, but eBay has all the info and communication documented between me and the seller, so I'll probably go that route.

16. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I've only had to open one dispute with paypal and it was resolved to my satisfaction.

flathd likes this.
  17. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

I would get back with eBay and re-explain to them what is going on. I have had to use their dispute resolution a few times and have been surprised how well it works. I had shipped one item to a buyer that arrived damaged. The buyer filed a complaint and eBay payed for the damages, not me. It was shipped from the midwestern U.S. over to England so the buyer agreed to a 20% discount as opposed to the expense of a return trip across the pond. If you call their 800 number you can talk to a human and get someone that listens and solves the problem.

flathd likes this.
  18. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

Ebay sides with the buyer most of the time so depending on the terms of the shipping detail that will tell you what will happen. For sure open a case up and send them a picture of the hole in the box.

19. flathd

Called them twice now. They ruled in my favor, but they want a police report on PDF so it's documented. I'll get the refund, I just didn't want to pay for the shipping on an item that never arrived because the packaging was so bad. The seller was trying to make me pay for the shipping, when he was responsible for the loss of the item. It's still a hassle to deal with, and I am real disappointed that I never got the sign.

20. flathd

Yeah, I was considering Paypal, but Ebay has all the info between me and the seller and I don't want to open up 2 cases or they might think I'm trying to collect 2 refunds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.