UPS destroyed the Grand Prize Hahn Guitar -- claim denied!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TDPRI, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billco

billco TDPRI Member

I didn’t mean any offense, I was merely pointing out the media always sensationalizes a story and rarely do they ever state the facts as they actually occur. My apologies to any reporters that may be listening in, but it is what it is. I knew when I read your post the stock didn’t drop on a youtube video, searched for the article, and as I suspected, found where annalists disagreed.

Nonetheless, a youtube video may not be a bad idea if all else fails. United did in fact agree to make amends after the video response was overwhelming. Unfortunately, the general population is more upset with the airlines at the moment than an occasionally mishandled guitar, but the squeaky wheel does get the grease as the saying goes. With that said, responding in an angry manner will typically work against you.

No one shipper is any better than the other, they all play this game. Those saying FedEx or USPS is better than UPS or vice versa is simply a bias based on personal experience to date, and not a factual statement in the world view.

2. jimbojo

jimbojo Tele-Meister

+1 on USPS, I know they are a pain sometimes but I have never had an issue. I sure hope everything works out with your suit.

3. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Holy CRAP!! That's awful!!!!

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

So much for a Tele being undestructable, huh?

I learned the hard way that UPS denies at least 65% of all claims automatically.
    [​IMG]

I hate UPS

5. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I sent an AC15 to be modded from the Tone Man a few years back and got the amp back with the box damaged. Looking inside, the chasis was dented so badly I almost couldn't put it back in the cabinet. Had to staighten it out with plyiers. Ofcourse FedEx wanted to look at the shipping box but I'd recycled it already, my bad. Anyway I think it's a crap shoot sometimes.
    A Hahn, damn, and to deny to claim. Insult to injury!

6. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted

this is a terrible story. isn't there any one that will stand behind their business anymore?

I just got a second neck via usps - no issues

7. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Gotta agree ! I've shipped well over two dozen guitars/amps/speakers via Fed Ex and NEVER a problem. I've received enough torn up, ripped up and smashed UPS boxes from vendors over the past years, that I cringe to open.

8. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

This disgusts me. I hope you are successful with your suit.

9. hrod455

hrod455 TDPRI Member

Disgusting, really.

10. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

There's a reason that a friend of mine who owns a business and has to deal with their damaged packages all the time, calls the company "OOPS"....

11. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

As I posted on the Facebook thread already, this is disgraceful, but not really surprising, considering the company involved. My own worst experience with UPS was somewhat different in nature: on a Monday several years ago, UPS left a notice that they'd attempted to deliver an item to me while I was not at home and that they would re-deliver the next day. I spent the entire next day at home. . . and the day after that. . . and so on. . . until finally late on Friday they delivered. When I asked the driver why they hadn't come earlier in the week, he stood there with a straight face and told me that he had. . . in other words, he lied to my face. I expressed my displeasure, and he grinned and walked off, saying, "Sorry, sir."

Yeah, I got my problems with UPS. :mad: I got a new laptop recently, and as soon as I realized it was shipping via UPS, I was a nervous wreck, because I think that 65% automatic denial of insurance claims is being generous.

I wonder if, when shipping a Tele, it's would be a better idea to disconnect the neck before packaging?

12. plroad21

plroad21 Tele-Meister

UPS lost my wife's wedding dress 2 weeks before our wedding. Apparently it showed up somewhere wrong and was destroyed. UPS refused to even speak with me or my wife, and the dress shop eventually had to pick up the cost themselves I believe. So my wife had to pick out a completely different dress last minute. All the while UPS refuse to do anything, even though the shop had insured it.

13. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

TDPRI homepage article w/pics...facebook and YouTube too!,

TDPRI,
    I would love to see you post the damaged guitar pics on the homepage with a title like "courtesy of UPS".
    This way every single person that logs on will be able to see what happened and be informed on the UPS situation. I would also suggest a YouTube video just to spread the word. Facebook would be good also. This story has to get out to the masses.
    I can't imagine paying for insurance and then getting denied. Are our home and car insurance policies next??????

14. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

The Youtube video is a great idea and doesnt have to be a song, it can just be an explanation of what happened and UPS's attitude toward making it right.

Get some footage of the packaging and the damaged guitar and simply ask the WHOLE FREAKING PLANET if they think it couldn't possibly have happened in shipping!

Several hundred thousand people could see it in a matter of days!:twisted:

15. eyerish

eyerish Tele-Holic

16. howlback

howlback Tele-Meister

So glad you are suing. I've shipped several guitars via UPS and they charge an arm-and-a-leg for insurance.

17. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

Sounds almost like that John Grisham book (was it The Rainmaker?), where the insurance company's first course of action was to "deny all claims". Maybe they think you'll just give up & go away.

This has gotta end right. Whenever I've shipped a guitar or anything of value by UPS, my anxiety was eased by insuring the package. If that feeling that "you're covered" goes away, then I don't think I can use them anymore.

18. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Disgusting.

Also makes you wonder: If the guitar had been shipped by a large company like Fender would the claim still have been denied? I suspect not. Too harmful to the bottom line to piss off a major shipping partner. But since it's a small businessman shipping something to a regular Joe there's no reason not to try to screw them over. Nothing to lose in their opinion. Brutal.

19. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

The insurance company is: Crawford Insurance.
    There seems to be a ton of people complaining about denied claims on the internet.
    It's a shame.
    I really feel for all involved especially the winner.
    Mr. Hahn seems to be a class act.
    I hope it all works out.
    I say we bombard Crawford Ins. and UPS with calls/emails.
    But in reality that would probably delay a positive outcome to the contest winner.

20. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I had a bad experience with UPS a while ago and this renews my determination to avoid shipping through them whenever possible.

On the other hand, I haven't had any experience with Mr. Hahn, but I hope to someday after reading his post. As the Hobbster said above, "Class Act".

And lastly, I've never done any business with Crawford Insurance, and hopefully never will. That agent sounds like a jackass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.