Upright Bass, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I still maintain deviously manipulating the mind of another is easier than carrying an upright base - use the Force, Luke

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

People are usually suggestible and can be manipulated if you know what to do, but 1,000 Russian bots can't change the mind of one bass player.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

This reminds me of a naughty man who said something like '1000 blockheads is not equal to 1 man of genius'

4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I spent 4 years in a rockabilly trio pounding the doghouse. But when it came time to travel, the 'house stayed home. My personal experience is between the fingerboard size & absence of frets, it really slowed me down on running scales & inserting flourishes. It may be just what you need.

5. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

You need someone that shares the same vision as the rest pf the band. Whatever that might be.

Once saw a band that was going for a SRV thing with a Stanley Clarke kinda bassist.
    Uh uh.

6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

@nojazzhere
    I am a little confused here. Not that your Bassist/Leader doesn't want to improve and learn the parts that need to be played. I find that most musicians are kind of like Allen Iverson of NBA fame, "practice? we are talking about practice?" They all want to play the gig (or in my case most Sundays mornings) but don't want to put the time into practicing what they are playing in the set.
    What I am confused is you wanting to replace him with a new bassist if he is the leader. What would the current bassist/leader do then?
    As a DFW guy I would be willing to set in (although I am a little younger than you guys as you started driving when I started crawling) if you thought having someone to push him might get him out of his current rut. Then again you might discover that he is a lot better bassist than you think after you hear me play. LOL

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Oh and to get close to that Upright sound... I found one of these. Slapped a set of flatwounds on it, turn the tone down and tweak the pre-amp and you can get close. At least close enough with out having to plan for back surgery hauling that doghouse around. IMG_1139.JPG

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

That makes me want to get a double bass and start thinking I'm him!!! :lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Spoken like a proper double bass player. I built and sold eubs for around 8 years. The guitar bass players loved the extra length on the E string and weren't very fussed about sustain or faithful acoustic db tone.

The double bass players on the other hand, found it very hard to get past the absence of the acoustic tone they were used to and normal electric sustain. The shape and specs of my eub necks/fingerboards are db correct/centric. The heel is at D, the relief is the thickness of each string in it's path. In the end the final question is ... How much 'portability' do you require?

Lulo Reinhardt fooling around in the d'jamming tent at an Oz Manoush with one of my early basses.
    o5f27vc.jpg o5homed.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    ndcaster, nojazzhere and BigDaddyLH like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think this guy would be influenced by having someone "push" him. I guess it's difficult to explain very well. Left to his own devices, I don't think he has the ear, the chops, or the "intestinal fortitude" to want to improve. His "thing" is getting up and imagining himself a "Rock Star", and living out his life-long fantasies. Apparently, he doesn't "sit down" and learn and work out a song. He listens to a song (usually in his car) and "kinda" gets the feel. I've known many players who CAN hear a song a couple times and then nail it......but he's not one of them. It's his "oh, that's good enough" attitude that frustrates me most.....that, and his bass playing role models, who are completely inappropriate for most of the songs he wants to do. It's almost like he can barely crawl, and he wants to enter a marathon for runners. As I mentioned, he's generally a very nice guy, and he owns the rehearsal space, PA and amps, (I don't have to haul a guitar amp if I don't want to), and even handles booking.....so I hate to upset his boat. I'm probably trying to make a silk purse here, but there it is. Thanks to all for listening and input.

Preacher likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

Actually....I'd like to link up with the bass player BEHIND him in that video.

12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Thomas Morgan is brilliant. He's been interacting with Bill Frisell and it's amazing interplay, some of the very best I've heard.

13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

@nojazzhere

I hear you, I really do. I run a worship team at our church, multiple instrumentalist and I find this a lot. I have a couple of guys who are pretty talented, they don't need to practice too much to be pretty good. But I have some others...
    I had one guy who showed up to a practice after I had sent him a video of what he needed to do for a certain song. When he got to practice he could not do it. We struggled through and at the end of the night I asked if he had practiced with the video. He said, yes. I was like, "really" and then he said that he had listened to it in his car multiple times on his way to work. I had to explain that there was a difference between "practice" and "listening to". And this guy is not a young musician, he is older than me.
    So I tell him he has three days to work on it before we play it live on Sunday. We get to Sunday rehearsal and he is no better than he was earlier. I asked how long he had practiced the strumming pattern and he said he had listened to it in his car. I just shook my head and told him to play only big open chords and not to try the strumming pattern. He told me he thought he could figure it out and was practicing it in the 30 minutes between our run through and the service. I stopped him and told him that he had two weeks to work on this song, and if he could not get it right in two weeks he would not get it right in thirty minutes. When we did the service he tried on the first part to do the strumming pattern and I told him in the talk back to do only big chords and to quit trying to figure it out live. He did and we survived. We had a long talk later about the responsibilities and what is will take to do what we want to do. He agreed and then told me had not even played that song with his guitar, he was only listening to it on his car stereo as he had been so busy. I understood and we talked about how he could do better and to let me know when he was too busy to learn something new. He is one of my favorite people in our band.

On your end, the bassist holds all the cards. He is the promoter, gets the gigs, owns the PA, and is the leader so you are just going to have to learn to live with it or start a new band and take all of those aspects on yourself. If you decide to start something new, let me know, I would be glad to see if we might fit, it sounds like we might be compatible. But from what you have shared with your current dilemma, I don't think he will change or have any incentive to want to which is too bad. I love it when a band gets together and through time and effort get to the point where all the parties involved feel fulfilled.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Bridget took composition lessons from me a number of years ago.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

WOW!....your guy sounds EXACTLY like mine! And you're absolutely right about someone at "that" level can't just listen to something and then play it correctly. (or at least acceptably) In rehearsal, I've needed to "call out" chords or root notes for him to follow.....and he doesn't even know his fretboard well enough to play them. Again, this doesn't make him a "bad guy"......he's just not a decent musician, (or at the same level as me and my drummer) and doesn't want to invest a little time or effort to improve. Oh well.....we'll see how practice goes tonight, leading up to Saturday's gig. Thanks for all your input.

Preacher likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

I'm very impressed with Bridget......she plays solid upright bass lines, while also doing great vocal harmony.

17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Where is Saturday's gig?

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This is an interesting thread with lots of good advice for all instrumentalists. When I was in college in 1968, I played upright bass in a jazz combo. Bass can be prominent in a combo like that. We had a gig one night accompanying a jazz singer. Sheet music was provided. It was mostly four beats to the measure. Kind of boring. At the rehearsal, the club owner came over to me and gently suggested, “Don’t compete with the vocalist.” Point taken. Lesson learned.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Our bass player switches between electric and upright. What's really cool is when she bows the upright. It really adds an extra dimension.
    You can hear it on the bridge here.

20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

@JL_LI
    Someone needs to tattoo that on their chests to read it every morning.

I started off playing Trumpet in band. Marching, concert, jazz, all of the above during school from sixth grade up till the summer before my Junior year in high school. Trumpet players rock, we play loud and fast and as high as we can.
    Then before my Junior year our band director came to me and asked if I would be willing to play Tuba the next year. He said that although I was a good trumpet player he felt I could be an even better tuba player and that we had a serious lack of tuba players and a hundred trumpet players. Being the people pleaser that I am, I said sure and checked out a concert tuba from school to take home to practice over the summer. I should have thought that through as I lived six blocks from school and walked...

So after the summer of practicing Tuba I had gotten pretty good at reading both treble and bass clef music (OK that is a D on the trumpet but is an F in bass clef type reading). So I show up the first day of marching band as the eighth tuba player with my old brass sousaphone (lowest chair got the oldest gear). So after two weeks of marching, playing and sight reading I was happy to see that I had moved up the ranks to the number 3 Tuba player. The old brass sousaphone was replaced with a new silver shiny one and I took my place as the number three. I competed with the number one and number two all that semester for top dibs, not too bad for taking it up only a few months earlier.

That change taught me so much, that each instrument has its place and its time to shine. The Tubas don't get to shine too much but when we did I took full advantage of it but by playing the Tuba it taught me much more in dynamics, groove and the pocket than the trumpet ever did.

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.