Uprades for CV 50's Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by crazyhorse, Mar 5, 2021.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

^This. I have nothing to add, so I won't.

bls82261, Fendereedo and blowtorch like this.
  2. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

I have a 2015 classic vibe Tele. The only upgrade I made was a fender 51 u shape neck, the fat one, and stew mac compensated brass saddles, and a fender vintage bridge plate. Now it looks like a fender. To my ears, the pickups are fine. Oh, I forgot, I also replaced the crappy tuners for gotoh vintage. They work a lot better. But that’s it. No more mods are needed for me.

3. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

I’ve got a 2015 bsb cv50s Tele. It a made in China guitar. The pickups in this one are really good. I tried to find one negative thing about them, how they sound, but I can’t. They’re excellent. In fact, they sound as good or better than the pups in my 95 American standard Strat. There seems to be a lot of variation in the pups in the Squier CVS, especially with the move to Indonesia.

4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

If you find that the neck gets sticky, you can rub off some poly.

5. jazzalta

jazzalta Tele-Meister

I upgraded pretty much everything, and went with Fender's Pure Vintage 64 tele pickups. The guitar was ok off the shelf but I wanted to add a little more personal touch to it. Build quality on these is spectacular.

6. don

don Tele-Meister

I have one with the Tonerider Pups and the brass saddles - really sounds great like it is! I'm running thru a Joyo American Sound into a Princeton Reissue -

7. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have had a couple of Squier Vintage Blonde CV50 Teles for more than 10 years now.

They have both undergone a lot of changes over the years.

One of the first things I did was convert them both to 4 Way. I went a slightly different route than most though.
    I completely replaced the traditional wiring with an electronic piece that allows for control over several aspects of the wiring.
    With it, I can control the cap value, turn the volume mod on and off, change pot value from 250 to 500 and back, all with dip switches.
    The pickups and the jack are installed without soldering, they just plug into a wiring block. It uses CTS pots and Oak Grigsby switches.

20200712_173105664_iOS.jpg 20200712_173055415_iOS.jpg

Next, I swapped out the pickups. Both of the CV50 Teles are practice guitars and kind of test beds for pickups so I change them a lot.
    I am currently using Fender CS Texas Specials in one and the other I have a set of Symour Duncan Five Two pickups for.

Next think you may or may not want to look at doing is replacing the plastic nut with a bone nut. I have done that on mine.

I recently swapped the neck on one of mine for a Fender Roasted maple neck. Love the look and the feel of it.

0999892920_fen_nck_frt_1_rr.jpg

20210522_193108166_iOS.jpg

The other CV50 has undergone quite a bit more changes than this one.

Last year I decided to make some changes and maybe got carried away :)
    I stripped the body with the intention of painting it myself, sent it off instead.
    I plugged up most of the mounting holes and did some repairs to the body.

20200619_211642325_iOS.jpg 20200708_124734846_iOS.jpg 20200619_211656251_iOS.jpg

Just got the body back the other day, came out just as I had hoped!

002.JPG 003.JPG

In the process of collecting just a few more parts before I can start assembling.

Here it is with some of the parts laid out together in a case.

20210522_191335989_iOS.jpg

8. ToneM1

ToneM1 TDPRI Member

I got one of the new “Pine” body CV ‘50’s Tele! I’ve worked on guitars and played professionally for 49 years. I was very impressed with the guitar right out of the box. I got it from Jessica Koves @ Music Zoo! She always checks everything I buy before she ships it to me.
    I replaced the control plate with one that works with full size pots. I installed a set of VIP pots, 4-way switch and a PIO cap. I also got a set of ThroBak T-59 MXV pickups which I’ve found to be nothing short of amazing! The clarity and warmth are stunning. One of the main keys is they use American made Magnets!! Most pickups, including Fenders use Chinese made magnets and aren’t the same formula/mix as the old magnets. Magnets make a big difference in a pickups tone/sound. I also bought a Bakelite pickguard and a set of knobs with the old style rounded tops and shaped the bone nut and installed a set of Brass saddles that into Nate. This guitar pretty much is as good as an old Fender now. I may have to scrape the finish off the back of the neck as that’ll let the wood resonate a bit more. Not much for polyurethane finished guitars, but Fender did all of their guitar in poly for a couple of decades..
    Overall, really excellent guitar for $385.00

9. Gfurman

Gfurman TDPRI Member

So you kept the stock tuners I presume?

10. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

I’ve had a CV 50s since 2015. Love it. The mods I’ve done, new gotoh vintage tuners, Fender bridge plate, StewMac brass saddles, and a Fender ‘51 U shape fat neck, were mainly for tuning and comfort. The pickups were, and still are, first rate. So, don’t swap them out until you try them with various equipment you use. Mine sounds great through my trusty old hot rod deluxe, and the pups deliver true Tele tone. I’m not an expert, but I’ve played for a long time, like mid sixties. To me, the neck was nice, but just a little too thin for my aging hands and wrists. The fit, finish, soldering, wiring, etc were all excellent. In fact, as good as my American standard Strat. I read so many posts about swapping out the pickups and wiring, but I guess I don’t need ultra good, hand wound, boutique extras. With a good amp, pedals, and style, you can get great Tele sound with the cv Tele. Of course obviously, if modding is your thing, it’s a good platform to start with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.