1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Uprades for CV 50's Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by crazyhorse, Mar 5, 2021.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

3rd mod: Bensonite fat saddles.
    I only recently discovered this

Fendereedo and _MementoMori_ like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Funnily enough when I went to change mine out, the inner retainer fell out, which didn't bother me much, but would have had I just been tightening the nut back in on the old socket, as I don't have the tools to do the job.

Boreas likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, good idea not to fiddle with the jack unless you are prepared to take off the control plate to access everything. Leo certainly made some mistakes. Really not much wrong with a Gibson style plate either. At least they are easy to work on!

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Fendereedo

Yes, not one of his best ideas, works way better on a Strat, two screws and your in, so to speak.

Boreas likes this.
  5. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

That guitar doesn't need "upgrades". It's perfect. If a switch fails or something I'll replace it with better quality part, but why fix it if it isn't broken? It make more sense to me to just buy a more expensive Tele than mess with the best value guitar ever produced. If you just want to tinker then go for it, but you aren't going to improve the guitar. It may be different, but it won't be better.

Fendereedo and Boreas like this.
  6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

I haven't changed a thing on mine. Have a new output jack and Electosocket on hand, also bought the tool to remove the standard socket.
    I like the pickups so well I bought Toneriders and installed them in my MIM Standard.
    Anyway enjoy the heck out of the CV50, great guitar.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, the electrical components are typically very durable and noise free.

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. Fendereedo

Toneriders are really good pickups, I've had good experiences with them in the past. The new Classic Vibe guitar pickups are Fender made, but the older one's were rumoured, if not, are Toneriders. But, I'm sure someone with way more knowledge than me can say, it was was just my understanding I suppose.

jfgesquire likes this.
  9. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Well, THAT would have been smart!

I think I just lined it up so that the set screw pressed into the split instead of squeezing the split shaft together, if that makes sense.

Fendereedo and Boreas like this.
  10. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Lots of good advice, but the jack retrofit is a must

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

I use electrosocket input jacks on my partscasters I have put together. But I have never retrofitted one on a tele I have bought new, and I have a bunch of tele's. I read a bit of blue loctite works to keep the nut secure, but I have never used that either..lol. I did buy a tool recently that is made for tightening the nuts, it has a rubber part that helps hold the jack still while it spins the nut. I went and checked ever guitar I had, and only one needed snugging...lol I have had some get loose but using a socket,or even needlenose pliers and tightening them up seems to work for me. I rarely have to tighten one. I am disappointed I bought the tool pretty much for nothing..lol.. Actually two of them , because imports have different sized nuts . Nothing wrong with electrosockets but I bet if you make sure your jack is good and snug, it won't come loose very often. A little dab of Blue Loctite would wouldn't hurt either.. Just my opinion. If you must mod your new guitar, heck just do a bunch of stuff...lol
    I should ad, I play all my guitars but I don't gig. Maybe a guy with one or two guitars that gigs, would prefer an electrocsoket. So disregard my post...
    Dang we are all a bit bored...lol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  12. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Electrosocket, biggest no brainer. I’m in favor of replacing the electronics but as many pointed out the stock CV pickups aren’t bad and with upgraded electronics they might do the trick so maybe hold off on the pickups until you hear them. I swapped my bridge, some don’t but I think a Wilkinson or a Joe barden for under $50 is a solid and affordable upgrade.
    One of the biggest things I’ve learned here is whatever upgrades you go with avoid Bill Lawerence USA at all cost.

Lunch meat and Fendereedo like this.
  13. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

My first Tele Bullet (a HS) I poked and prodded at, and the second one I just adjusted the pickup height. The second one gets played more than any of my other guitars.

I played a used 70's CV Strat at the store that I had to talk myself out of buying just for the neck alone; would love to have a maple board on the Tele. That whole line of guitars are a great value.

Boreas and Fendereedo like this.
  14. crowhaven2000

Which toneriders did you buy?

15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

I bought the Hot Classics. Much better than the original in my opinion.

16. crowhaven2000

Better than the pickups in the MIM you mean right?
    Just curious as to how you would describe and compare the Hot Classics to your stock MIM pickups. Do they seem hotter than the MIM pickups? Not as hot? The same? Better in what way? I like the ceramic pickups in the MIM's just fine, I think they get a bad rap. JMHO I am just wondering how they compare with the MIM pickups in your opinion.
    I may want to put them in the CV50's white blonde I have. I expected it to sound much better than it does. I have a 2011 CV50's BSB and it sounds great. I know they are supposed to have different pickups in them but something is lacking with this White Blonde I have. It' sounds very muddy and muffled. I am not even sure what pickups are in it. It's a 2015 model I bought used from MF.. I will find out next week, I just ordered a new neck for it. I have never looked under the hood. Thanks, your opinions are welcome..lol.

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Yes they went in the MIM a 2015 Standard model. They are hotter than the ones I removed. Louder than the originals and a little brighter to my ears.
    The ones in my 2019 CV50 are better than the originals in the MIM.
    Hope this helps.

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. crowhaven2000

Yes it kind of helps. It also surprises me that your CV stock pickups are louder or hotter than the ones in my MIM standards. They are very loud, which makes them seem hotter. Any louder and I am not sure I would like them.
    Do you know what pickups are in your 2019 CV? From what I read the newer ones have fender pickups in them? But I am not sure what year that changed. You mentioned you bought the toneriders because you liked the CV stock pickups. Are you saying your stock pickups are the ones that people say are toneriders? (Or were made in the tonerider assembly lines).. With Tone rider numbers on them? I know that is the case with my CV50's strat pickups, they do have tonerider numbers on them. They sound nice. Not having my WB 50's tele apart, I have never looked at the back of the pickups. I assume mine should have them. I will find out soon I guess. They are nowhere near as loud (or hot to my ears) as the ones in my MIM standard teles. I have raised and lower the pickup height, it doesn't help.
    I am probably sounding confusing...lol.. I am not confused tho, I just don't know what pickups are in my WB. And they sound weak and muddy. They shouldn't.
    And I am trying to make sure your CV pickups are the tonerider clones. That word is just my word because some say they are tontriders and some say they are only made in the tonerider factory and they don't sound as good as the real toneriders..etc etc etc On the forums it's always a debate. I really don't care about brands I just wish my CV WB sounded better..lol. The pickups in my BSB sound great. Sorry if I am rambling. I appreciate your replies.

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. Fendereedo

Don't the old MIM Standards have ceramics in, and not alnico's? The new Player line which took over from the Standards, have alnico's.

20. crowhaven2000

Yes my MIM's have ceramic pickups. I love them..lol. I have no idea what the new player line has, I don't have one and won't need one. I think Fender should still be selling the MIM standards. But that's just me. I prefer the old medium jumbo frets too, over the narrow tall. Maybe it's just what I am used to I don't know. I have other pickups in telecasters, but I love my MIM standards with ceramic pickups. I bought a newer laurel fretboard CV60's neck for my CV strat, and it has the narrow tall frets. I can get used to them. The new neck I just ordered for the CV 50's is also Laurel with narrow tall frets. Its a 2021 (Indonesian made) from a CV 60's tele custom. There is nothing wrong with the old maple necks, I just prefer rosewood fretboards. And wanted a change. The laurels are not exactly what I wanted but they will do.
    I also have two MIM standard strats with ceramic pickups. I like them very much as is. And I have tried lots of other pickups.. Each to his own. ;o)
    I have strats and tele's with maple necks too. I like choices and I like looking at my guitars. Eye candy. I always have 14 or 15 guitars hanging or on a stand here in my room. All the closets are full of cases and guitars. I have no more room..

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.