1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Uprades for CV 50's Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by crazyhorse, Mar 5, 2021.

1. crazyhorse

crazyhorse TDPRI Member

Have only read many of the Forums and really enjoy all of the shared knowledge. Just have a couple of questions for some simple, but what I thought would be some simple, straight forward, upgrades for the Squire CV 50's Tele I have ordered. My first ideas were to put in a set of Pure Vintage Pickups and then a MojoTone prewired, solderless harness. Not real sure yet about replacing the saddles with brass set of compensated saddles (grooves or no grooves? in the saddles).
    Any thoughts or impute would be helpful. Thanks guys !!!

Boreas likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome.

Don't write off the factory pickups, wait til you've heard em

My suggestions would be the same as I make for any telecaster, a 4-way switch, electrosonic jack, and Bensonite fat saddles

CV 50s teles are the best value teles that ever existed

kookaburra, BGLeduc, ElJay370 and 5 others like this.
  3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I know how irresistible the urge to tinker is, but man there's really hardly anything on a good CV 50s Tele that needs upgraded. I think the stock pickups sound wonderful. If you want to do something cheap and easy, install an Electrosocket.

4. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

I put a 4 way switch, push/pull pot for phase, compensated Graph Tech saddles and a sturdier jack (Electrosocket?) on mine. Screwed up the stock neck pickup while rewiring, I got a free replacement from my local store, sounds fine.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Maybe compensated brass saddles? Maybe chrome plated brass knobs?

My CV had press fit knobs over split shaft pots, so if you get good Fender set screw knobs you may have fitment issues.

Really, the CV's are great right out of the box. Play it stock for a couple months and see what bothers you before you change anything.

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

Pickups used to be the excellent Toneriders but now Im not sure.I would only take care of the frets and change to a better one bone...... Well maybe I have changed the pots to 500k but that last is just my thing

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Not CV50, but I've got one of the new Indo CVC Tele's. All the upgrades were cosmetic, and not internal. The stock alnico pickups, are very good to be honest, and the pots are good too. The switch would be up to you, sometimes they flake, some don't, mine is still very capable at it's job, but if you want something better, go for it.

What I changed out was the whole cheap bridge, and saddles for Fender, I changed the tuners for Wilkinson deluxe WJ55's, the stock ones were serviceable, but I found that the stock, just weren't keep in tune ymmv. I also changed the junky butterfly string retainer for a round vintage type. Not everyone's choice, but they do hold the strings very well, but that is personal choice again.

The overall biggest mod anyone should make, is what @blowtorch said, is to replace the existing Jacksocket plate with a screw in kind. This will save you time from having to tighten the existing nut, which can be a pita with all Tele's. I have them on all of mine, and they are really good. I can't remember if CV50 is metric, or imperial. Either way they are great.

You can spend a small fortune on new pickups, but like the rest of the guys have said, listen to the stock ones first, before you rush into it. Most importantly enjoy your new guitar.

8. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

Get you a really nice guitar strap. :)

68Telebass, BGLeduc, bgmacaw and 3 others like this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

The new ones really don't need fretwork, the ones I've played, including my own, were absolutely fantastic, way better than my Vintera 60s. As for a bone nut, the new ones have them. Pickups are pretty good too, but in all honesty it would depend on whether you are gigging, if you need higher output, or are playing through a Mustang I in your bedroom.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have 4-way switching in mine. It's a nice extra that was definitely worth the time and money.
    Compensated brass saddles are good. Honestly, it's the middle saddle that benefits the most, given an unwound G. If I could have purchased an exact replacement for it, only, that would have been a very serviceable choice.
    I also recommend the Electrosocket and a better jack, if and when the stock one gives trouble.
    Pickups are a personal choice. I'll leave it at that.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have used these with good results:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=172694551218

jfgesquire likes this.
  12. bluesintheblood

bluesintheblood TDPRI Member

My best upgrade for all my CV's were to American Specials.

Boreas likes this.
  13. Boreas

Get it set-up properly for your preferred string gauge before taking it home. Then give it 6 months as-is. Fiddle with pup heights and setup adjustments as you wish. I do a fret polish on everything when new and annually. If after 6 months you don't feel it is an outstanding value, you may want to consider trading it for a used MIA Tele instead of upgrading parts. You will never get the money back from your upgrades, and the MIA Fender will likely gain in value over time.

I bought a new Squier Bullet Tele for a project ($130!), and after I got it, I felt bad about gutting it. It sounded GREAT and played very well. I polished the frets and smoothed the fret ends and it was great. But I wanted it for a B-Blender platform and wanted brighter pups and pots. I spent at least twice what I paid for the guitar with the upgrades and add-ons. It is probably worth $150 now - on a good day...

If you DO make changes, instead of immediately swapping pups, just play with the values of the V pot and T cap. Just swapping a V pot for a higher value is like a new set of pups. $10 max for the pot and $0.02 worth of solder and electricity.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Willie Johnson and Fendereedo like this.
  14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Electrosocket. The only thing I'd recommend without hesitation.
    I use a Wilkinson compensated middle saddle on my CV 50's. E+A + b+e were close enough for rock'n'roll, but the balance of D+g bugged me enough to do something about it. My CVC now sports the stock saddles again. Teles are odd that way.
    Pickups. Mine are stock. I bought it with the intention of making an Esquire, but the neck pickup is so good, I couldn't bring myself to make the changes. My CVC had a pickup change because I had a particular sound and aesthetic in mind. My 50's is so dang good, pickup wise, I'd only be changing them to change them. Spend a little time setting the heights and learn to love them. They benefit from careful, personal, adjustment. Not buying pickups leaves money for strings and yet another pedal.
    Some like the four way switch. It's personal. I tried a buddies, and liked it, but not enough to change mine over.
    Set it up, put your favourite strings on it, adapt to it, play the daylights out of it, use the volume and tone controls and decide after week what, if anything, you want to change.

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. jfgesquire

Boreas likes this.
  16. Boreas

They help keep the knob centered on the shaft. They aren't perfect, but they aren't expensive either.

17. Boreas

Regarding Electrosockets, they are a highly recommended upgrade. However if you are a sofa player like myself, usually unnecessary. I personally prefer the "Soviet Cold War" look of the originals, so I don't change them unless I can't keep them tight.

I find the failure of stock sockets has much to do with how well they were installed, and the wood they were installed in. But if you tend to jerk on the plug or yank the cord whilst thrashing about, go ahead and change it.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't replace the socket without also replacing the jack with a more positive jack - like the PureTone or the Switchcraft Dual Contact jack. They can help a lot with noise and scratchiness when moving around.

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

1st mod: Electrosocket
    2nd mod: 4-way switch

Fendereedo and blowtorch like this.
  19. jfgesquire

I can't remember which guitar anymore... maybe it was a Höfner bass... anyway it had split shaft pots and I was going to put set screw knobs on and those brass sleeves did not fit over the split shafts.... THAT was frustrating.

Fendereedo and Boreas like this.
  20. Boreas

I can imagine. Did you try splitting the bushing?

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.