Upper horn shape

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Yonatan, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

What's the story on this? In some drawings, like this picture which of course is from the T. Downs drawing, there is a part approaching the neck pocket that goes from concave to convex (and maybe concave again very subtly at the top). But I don't see it in other drawings (for example ones from fmicassets), where is just stays concave until thinning out at the neck pocket. Are there different shapes in different periods?

IMG_20200119_201212.jpg

I'm currently making a plywood template, and I'm wondering how to finish this part.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a remnant of a machine and template detail called a "router hump".

According to Duchossoir, bodies showed a characteristic side hump up until 1964.

I'd keep the hump as it makes it more vintage like.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/router-hump.71030/

https://books.google.com/books?id=B9fcHtVdRiwC&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=duchossoir+telecaster+hump&source=bl&ots=7A0JU6u_Fc&sig=ACfU3U2TG57nlIqpYKzo9dAG2RmAI69zCQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1j_y2pZDnAhWlSt8KHZ80B0wQ6AEwAXoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=duchossoir telecaster hump&f=false

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Yonatan and rangercaster like this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

A true vintage attribute just like nonaligned ferrules ...

eallen, Dan German and Yonatan like this.
  4. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Thanks for the rundown. I had tried searching about this, but I was missing the key search term (router hump). I saw in that thread that there was some speculation that it added some integrity to an otherwise fragile area. I guess it's another reason to keep it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.