Upgrading pots on CV Tele Custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by zombiwoof, Jan 25, 2018.

1. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I have an Indonesian CV Tele Custom with the WRHB in the neck, I have to replace the selector switch which broke in shipping so while I have the pg off I thought I'd replace the neck volume pot at least with 500k. My question is: I'm assuming that these have metric shaft/bushing size pots, so using US spec pots would require enlarging the hole for the bushing, right?. I might just get decent metric pots to be able to avoid drilling the pg and using the stock knobs. Can someone enlighten me?
    Thanks,
    Al

2. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

My guess is the pots would be metric. Can you not measure the size of the pickguard hole and compare that to the size of the pot shaft you want to swap to? If it only needs slight enlargement I'd use a reamer instead of drilling.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to avoid taking off the pg until I have all the parts. It has a ****e-load of screws and looks like a PITA. I'm even wondering if the nice Switchcraft p/u selector I bought will fit without reaming and if the hole in the wood is deep enough. I thought for sure many guys have replaced the pots on the CV's and would know for sure.
    Thanks,
    Al

4. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

If you are trying to brighten up the neck an easier solution might be to rewire it so the tone control is on the bridge pickup only.

5. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

I see what you mean about taking of the pickguard in advance. Have you tried Googling to see if anyone has modded the same guitar as yours? By the way, I believe the tele you are talking about is a VM (vintage modified) Squier rather than a CV (classic vibe). A search for modded Squier VM telecaster custom might yield some results, even on this forum. Hope that helps. Someone somewhere must have already tried what you want to do!

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

You're right, it's a VM, not CV. I get those mixed up. Good guitar, got it in new condition for very little money, but the p/u selector broke in shipping. I want to change the neck pot(s) to 500k for two reasons, it's a regular humbucker that really needs that extra treble kick, and also I am planning on having Brandonwound rewind it to his take on WRHB specs, and those require 500k pots. Going to change the neck cap to .015uf at the same time. I think I'll first try just getting some good quality metric pots, maybe Bournes metal case or Alphas, they both have metric spec types and will drop right in, to avoid boring out the holes. If I don't like the taper of those, I will put some better US spec pots in when I get the neck WRHB rewound. I was really surprised at the quality of this Indonesian made guitar, I'd like a little more beef to the neck, but I always wanted one of these and can't afford the more expensive versions right now. Might put a Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge too, I played a Tele with one of those in it and really like it. Do they still make the VM's?. Don't see much mention of those these days. Thanks for the correction.
    Al

7. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

Good luck with the mods, hope the metric pots work out for you. I believe these guitars are still in production, they are certainly in stock with UK dealers.

8. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I found some full size metric spec Alphas and Bournes on Ebay, gonna order a couple of each and see which I like better. In the meantime, something has gone out on my output jack, after tightening it up for the millionth time the volume dropped and I hear a small object rattling around inside the guitar, so I probably broke something on the jack. So have to add a new Switchcraft jack to the parts list. Really want to get the WRHB rewound but will have to wait on that for financial reasons.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.