Upgrading My Frontman 25R Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by The Angry Possum, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I fixed mine by never using the drive channel.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Aside from the grill and speaker, that looks like a Champion 110.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

More time with the amp, I am ok with the midrange sound on the drive channel. Found it best set to two. I am now looking at the drive channel as a different voiced channel rather than the clean channel driven into distortion, think I'll keep it as is.

4. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I use mine a lot for acoustic guitar. To my ears it sounds as good if not better than most acoustic amps. Clean channel Bass on 6, Mid on 8 and Treble on 3.

5. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

Awesome. The overdrive channel really lacks. I'm gonna try the clean channel with My Boss HM2 Japan Black Face. If it sounds to metaly I'm gonna sell it and get an older MXR or a vintage Tube Screamer perhaps. Mine is in mint condition. So I'm sure I'll get a few bucks for it. They sell them on reverb for over $150.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

My 110 has an external cab jack and headphone jack, instead of the aux in’s on the Frontman. However, I wired an ext cab jack that doesn’t cut the internal speaker.

So I can run the internal speaker and my 1 by 12 Fender cab together. That’s a lot of clean pushing SS Fender watts for my purpose, albeit 25.

I saw a Frontman 25 on CL yesterday for $50, and I was tempted, but it was a little too beat up.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Here’s another use for this amp:

If you have another amp with a line out, just run it to this. The clean channel only, of course.

8. Fourstringclover

Fourstringclover TDPRI Member

I also like to experiment with mods and new parts. If you find a good mod for the drive, LMK!! You may be one of the first. Like a regular Bill-FM! A lot of people who find the right values or mods make money doing so to amps where the only option is to replace the speaker. It seems the consensus here is to "fix" the drive by never, ever using it.
    To say, just turn down the gain is like saying to just turn down the bass to 1 and keep the volume below 4, an the stock sp is fine.

I thought about changing out the clipping ic for a better one, but I like your idea. I use my FM25 as a preamp/reverb unit going into a homebrew tube amp, so the od channel actually sounds decent there. It's a good amp, but I agree that the drive is too harsh as is. If the clipping could be asymmetrical, or changed to an l.e.d. possibly? Guess this is best for another forum...

And Ira7, just be aware that using both speakers like that is going to change the impedance on an amp only designed to do 8ohms. I suppose 16 may be ok, an better than 4

9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

An inexpensive "Kustom" 1X12 extension cab some grille cloth and a speaker out jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    studio1087 likes this.
  10. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

Ragin Cajun. Otherwise, dime the mids and drop bass and treble to one w the stock speaker. You’d be surprised.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.