1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Upgrades from the THR 10C? Boss GT1000 core or other?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by matrix, Oct 29, 2020.

1. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

First off - the THR is awesome. I have had it for over 5 years, use it constantly, and it has done great by me. However...

-It does not play nice with my DAW of choice (Ableton)
    -I can use it with pedals/loopers, but there are some big limitations (no effects loop, no way to tap into the stereo power of the unit).
    -I keep on looking at its two teeny tiny speaker cones, and then up to the nice big KRK monitors on my desk, and thinking that something that took advantage of those speakers might be better.

The recent release of the Boss GT1000 Core really caught my attention, and also drew my attention to the Line6 HX Stomp. Anyone have experience with either of these units? Would you consider them to be a noticeable upgrade from the THR in either sound, feel, or both?

My main concern/interest is on the cleaner side of the sonic spectrum. 17 shades of death metal crunch matters not to me.

Any thoughts appreciated!

2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

There are tons of youtube demos on the hx stomp. And probably the boss as well.

I just got a Strymon Iridium, which I chose over the stomp based on its ability to utilize my pedal board. If cleaner is your thing, you might wanna check out that iridium. It does sound very good. Very hifi. The line out isn't balanced, but it's stereo, and you'll probably want your looper after anyways.. just make sure everything after it is stereo... You don't want to lose that room effect in stereo, which imo is what makes the Iridium so good sounding - lifelike.

Ps. I had the thr and I agree both that it was good, and that you'll appreciate a step up, using those bigger monitors. The Yamaha lacked low end, which always kinda bugged me a little

matrix likes this.
  3. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Thanks -- much appreciated. I have see YouTube demos of the Stomp and the Boss, but was getting a bit frustrated with the ones I heard. A lot of the demo folks seem to gravitate towards tones that I would discard, which leaves me with doubts about what the units are really capable of. Also really hoping to hear thoughts on any of the units having real noticeable differences in feel.

(which I suppose is wildly subjective, but I always seem to get genuinely useful subjective opinions don TDPRI)

Thanks for mentioning the Strymon - I remember when it came out, but I had sort of forgot about it. Will add to the list - it has the compact form factor which is an attraction.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.