Upgraded my Laptop today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Brett Fuzz, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I recently had to buy a new laptop as my old Dell Inspirion 6000 finally succumbed to some drive disease.

The new laptop came with windows 8.

Strewth, what a POS !

Last night I finally worked out how to delete Win8 and have successfully reinstalled Windows XP (Home Edition)

All is right in my world again ! :):):)

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Ya, I feel for you.
    Windows 7 might have been better than xp

3. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Yes, if it gets too long in the tooth I might just look at Win7:)

4. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Although I'm mostly a Linux Mint user, I do have a Windows partition for a few things. I think Win7 was one of the best operating systems MS ever made. It has some of the nicer perks of Vista, but it works like XP did (actually better, from what I remember of XP.)

I'd highly recommend going to Win7 if you can. XP has been dead for a while now, and Microsoft is no longer supporting it in any way; no security updates, nothing. A lot of newer software packages aren't designed to work with XP either, so there are a lot of compatibility issues popping up. XP had an impressive run, but alas it's time to put to bed for good.

5. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Hey Cat

I just wish MS stopped with XP. So easy to use, easy to read, intuitive etc etc.

Must be pretty bad when I feel compelled to un-install the latest, greatest OS for a 12 year old version.

Does Win7 have Outlook Express ?

Anyway, Win8 has been deleted & I hope I never have to use or see it ever again.

I'd rather go back to a Commodore 64

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

No, Windows 7 doesn't have Outlook Express. There are other (and better) email clients, though, like Thunderbird. Cat's operating system of choice-- Linux Mint-- is really great, and free. Very easy to use.

After April 8th, Microsoft's support for XP will be over, which means no more security patches and updates. If you want to be on the internet and use XP, set up a non-administrator account to run as, and don't use Internet Explorer. That will reduce your vulnerability greatly. I'd be glad to help with the account setup if you're not familiar with that.

7. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info & offer.

To be honest, in the 12 years I have run XP, I have done so with no virus checker, no automatic updates, no patches. Never had a problem.

My main reasons for running XP are Outlook Express & Word 97.

You would need to prise them from my cold, dead fingers:neutral:

8. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I have XP on my desktop which is now used for music, photos and word processing. Love the old Media Player ad will run it to death. Win 7 on the laptop has never really appealed to me.

9. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

As Andy pointed out, no more Outlook Express. But I use Thunderbird (which is made by the fine folks that do Firefox) and it works great. There's also a calendar companion application, so you can get the functionality of the full version of Outlook for free if you need those features. Honestly though, since I only use Gmail these days, I tend to mostly just use the web interface for email.

Win7 is pretty intuitive, I'd say about 97% as much as XP. There are some new features a couple menus that have been changed around, but you'd figure out it in a few minutes. It's nothing close to how different Win8 is, and I think Win7 will end up being like XP; a lot of people won't give it up and will use it for a long time to come. I don't know why MS did what they did: Windows 7 was stable, fast and secure (relatively speaking), and then they went and screwed it all up with Win8. They just can't leave well enough alone :rolleyes:.

For word processing, you might be able to get Word 97 to work in Compatibility Mode. I haven't use MS Office in years, so I don't know if it'll work properly. But I'd also suggest giving LibreOffice a try: it's a full-featured office suite and it handles most MS Office-formatted documents just fine. Did I mention it's open-source and totally free? ;) LibreOffice has a strong pedigree (it was forked from OpenOffice, which is/was owned by Sun Microsystems and Apache), and it's gained a lot of popularity over the past couple of years. Very occasionally you might run into minor formatting issues when opening MS Word documents, but that's usually only if they have a bunch of heavy formatting, and it's generally easy to fix. For the average home user, you shouldn't run into many problems at all.

10. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

That you know of. I will guarantee you have had 1 virus at some point, and just didnt notice. If you surf online, you will get a virus at some point. If you receive mail, you will get a virus at some point.

Thunderbird have 1 issue - or at least had when I used it. You couldnt export the folders with all your stored mails, to 1 file (like zip). No exporting to personal folders.

I have used (and abused) XP for a very long time. I didnt like Vista at all. Crashed on me twice doing the installation, and came with more blue screens then I care to remember. It wasnt good at all. Win7 I didnt really like, but didnt dislike as well. I was a little in the middle. I didnt like the resources it took to run. If you ran it on a laptop, you had a slow laptop that couldnt be upgraded enough...
    Win8 - you are right. Had a LOT of issues. If you skipped the whole welcome live tile side, and just used the desktop, it wasnt that bad, actually. Then win8.1 came. I upgraded, and I havent looked back since. That is a good system. Very stable, very fast, and runs smoothly. I have run it now for about 4 months, and havent had 1 crash since then. I customized everything to what I like. It is very easy to work with.

11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've been running Win8 and 8.1 on my desktop and laptop and Win 2012 and 2012R2 since they went gold (about six weeks before their commercial release). I love them. I had my first ever blue screen on any of them when I booted my server back up following an upgrade on Saturday. Traced it to an improperly seated memory module.
    That server has been running 24/7 with the occasional self reboot following an auto update since Late August of 2012. With XP I could seldom get through a day with out a blue screen.

As to viruses, my anti-virus catches and kills something at least once or twice a week. More than once it has caught something while opening a link or an ad on this very site. So, good luck with that.

12. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I have had the occasional virus/malware. I just run Malwarebytes and that takes care of it. Nothing I've never been unable to fix.

I really only visit the same old websites. Not a big user of the net.

Anyway, XP is working well on the Acer Aspire. I bet I'll get another 12 years out of it!

Btheway, deleting Windows 8 is not so hard. Just a couple of quick clicks here and there and POOF!

13. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Don't run XP.. Tons of software simply won't run on it and soon it'll be host to renewed attempts at breaking its security, since it's losing all official support. Also, being a 32bit OS it can only handle 4gb RAM. I imagine your new laptop has more RAM than that, so XP will act as a performance bottleneck

Win 8 is fine, if you're willing to spend about 10 minutes getting used to it. Failing that at LEAST use Win 7..

XP is a dinosaur.. It was good while it was current, but now.. it's a liability.

14. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I spent the past 2 months getting 'used' to Windows 8.

Never have I used such awful software. No decent word processor or email.

Not a chance I'd ever run that again. Was a total pain even just figuring out how to delete it.

It's un-necessarilly cluttered and un-intuitive. Even the trial version of Word I found to be useless.

I'll take my chances with XP till I run across something better (which I aint found yet).

15. J-man

Admin Post
    It's your (computer's) funeral! :eek:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/end-support-help

16. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Everyones been telling me just that for the past 18 years for never bothering with virus checkers.

I've had the odd thing give me a prob now & then but still here.

I never bothered as they all seem to slow your computer down & hog memory.

Same with this. I'll bet I'm still running ok in years from now.

Software support (lack of) will be the only thing that might get me. :(

17. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Make a stand!

Support XP !!! it Rocks!

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My main system has 32 gigs of memory; XP can use a maximum of 4. You might as well go back to CPM. I prefer Office 2013 to 97. At least it was designed for a modern OS, not a DOS shell.

19. J-man

Admin Post
    I'd bet money that your old system was host to all sorts of nasties. Most of them are designed to operate undetected. The fact that you didn't use AV simply means you didn't notice you had them. I guarantee it.

You think you are being smart and everyone else is over cautious, but you are using an OS that is about to become a script kiddy's wet dream... An OS that cannot properly utilise your hardware or run any 64bit software.

It is not something you should be proud of and I think you would see that if you weren't so wilfully ignorant.

20. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

I've also never updated Windows unless something I wanted to run required the update - which means I only installed SP3 last year. But it's there.

I've also never kept antivirus software running on my system. I have run a scan on a maybe-yearly basis just for giggles - the system that I took to be completely virus-free has remained, according to McAfee and/or Symantec, virus free.

It's perfectly plausible that a person can run their computer without updates and "protection" software and not get any of the nasties if they don't go where the nasties are and don't open stupid email.

That said - I'm not going to try installing XP on anything new. There're no driver updates, and new games won't run. Windows 7 can be made to look reasonably like I prefer things to look, and hopefully whatever succeeds 8 will be an improvement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.