Upgrade from a Baja?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Plan9, Apr 12, 2016.

1. PenCapChew

PenCapChew TDPRI Member

[​IMG] I love mine as is. Especially the neck on it. I love the chunky soft v shape. Soo comfortable.

2. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I like everything about my Baja apart from the neck. Nice depth but a bit slim across the fretboard. So it now wears the neck from a Cabronita but I still think of it as a Baja. Can't imagine ever selling or upgrading it, unless I found a nice light one.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I had a 50s (ash) Baja and was just feeling wanderlust, I might look for a used

Texas Tele Highway One (ash bodied model);

HR 52;

AV52, all types;

G.E. Smith; or

a Hot Rod 50s guitar.

You could look at these Lacquer MIM Classic 50s but you will have to change the bridge pickup at least.

4. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

MIM la cabronita?
    I hear the American made have a nice thick neck on it..

5. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

I have the 50's Classic Lacquer also, and owned a Baja prior. My thoughts - I dumped the Baja as it was almost 9 pounds (so dummy on another website's "emporium" told me it was "just over 7 pounds". I liked the Broadcaster bridge pup, didn't like the overly bright twisted tele neck pup. I did LOVE that big neck and medium jumbo frets. In terms of tone, all I really heard were the pickups - the body being so heavy, I felt only added sustain and "chunk" to the sound - it didn't zing and snap. The Classic Lacquer I have now has a neck profile slightly less full than the Baja and after a few months, I've learned to play my bends on the vintage frets and 7.5" radius. I've changed the bridge pup to a OV 52 and swapped out the steel to brass saddles. I tried a Nocaster neck pickup for a few months, but it's too bright and didn't match the 52 bridge like the stock pickup did, so I put the stock neck pup in last night. She's a keeper, a tad heavy at 8 pounds, but I'm getting all I want from a more vintage sounding guitar. For my needs and budget, the Classic Lacquer is a good deal.

For a "step up" from the Baja, that's a tough call - if you want vintage or modern tones. Personally, if I did it again, I'd have purchased an American Deluxe Tele, I dug the tones, play-ability and craftsmanship. Still might try to find a used one, rosewood board in that cool Tungsten finish.

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

MIM Cabronita - great neck that's a bit chunkier than the standards. Not as deep as the Baja neck but a fraction wider.

7. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Yes, I can confirm this too. I had a Cabronita thinline, the neck was great, deeper profile the the MIM Standards and slightly less than the Baja.

8. DeTerminator

DeTerminator Tele-Meister

Sweet looking guitars there, Songtalk. I had a similar experience with my Baja, but in reverse. I left my Baja stock, but took it's preferable neck features (to me), and transferred them to my 1999 '52 AVRI. I got a flame maple neck from Tommy at USACG, with stainless medium jumbo frets, soft V, and measuring .93 thick. That's going on the AVRI, whenever I get around to completing the finishing work on it.

songtalk likes this.
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Boris, and others - I appreciate the suggestions. I think I'm just going to have to play some guitars until the right one drops in my lap. However, the AV is very high on my to-try list.

OTOH, I was fooling around with the Baja the other day and its faults seemed not so significant.

10. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I agree with one of the options Boris offered: the Highway 1 Texas Tele. It has a '50s look with modern stuff like truss rod adjustment at the nut, 12" radius, 6105 frets and the "greasebucket" circuit. I can't speak for all specimen of the model, but mine is the lightest Tele I've owned save a "69 Thinline RI. The model comes standard with higher output pickups. I bought mine used and it had Duncan stacked humbuckers in both positions which I replaced with a Don Mare "The 0038" set.

I believe the '50s Baja has the best standard pickups of any Fender offering not coming from the Custom Shop. That's the magic of the model to me. I am not a fan of the S-1 switch.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Actually, the American Standard has the same pickups - just missing the switching options. I like the 4 way - don't use the S1.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.