Upgrade from a Baja?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Plan9, Apr 12, 2016.

1. PenCapChew

PenCapChew TDPRI Member

[​IMG] I love mine as is. Especially the neck on it. I love the chunky soft v shape. Soo comfortable.

2. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I like everything about my Baja apart from the neck. Nice depth but a bit slim across the fretboard. So it now wears the neck from a Cabronita but I still think of it as a Baja. Can't imagine ever selling or upgrading it, unless I found a nice light one.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I had a 50s (ash) Baja and was just feeling wanderlust, I might look for a used

Texas Tele Highway One (ash bodied model);

HR 52;

AV52, all types;

G.E. Smith; or

a Hot Rod 50s guitar.

You could look at these Lacquer MIM Classic 50s but you will have to change the bridge pickup at least.

4. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

MIM la cabronita?
    I hear the American made have a nice thick neck on it..

5. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

I have the 50's Classic Lacquer also, and owned a Baja prior. My thoughts - I dumped the Baja as it was almost 9 pounds (so dummy on another website's "emporium" told me it was "just over 7 pounds". I liked the Broadcaster bridge pup, didn't like the overly bright twisted tele neck pup. I did LOVE that big neck and medium jumbo frets. In terms of tone, all I really heard were the pickups - the body being so heavy, I felt only added sustain and "chunk" to the sound - it didn't zing and snap. The Classic Lacquer I have now has a neck profile slightly less full than the Baja and after a few months, I've learned to play my bends on the vintage frets and 7.5" radius. I've changed the bridge pup to a OV 52 and swapped out the steel to brass saddles. I tried a Nocaster neck pickup for a few months, but it's too bright and didn't match the 52 bridge like the stock pickup did, so I put the stock neck pup in last night. She's a keeper, a tad heavy at 8 pounds, but I'm getting all I want from a more vintage sounding guitar. For my needs and budget, the Classic Lacquer is a good deal.

For a "step up" from the Baja, that's a tough call - if you want vintage or modern tones. Personally, if I did it again, I'd have purchased an American Deluxe Tele, I dug the tones, play-ability and craftsmanship. Still might try to find a used one, rosewood board in that cool Tungsten finish.

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

MIM Cabronita - great neck that's a bit chunkier than the standards. Not as deep as the Baja neck but a fraction wider.

7. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Yes, I can confirm this too. I had a Cabronita thinline, the neck was great, deeper profile the the MIM Standards and slightly less than the Baja.

8. DeTerminator

DeTerminator Tele-Meister

Sweet looking guitars there, Songtalk. I had a similar experience with my Baja, but in reverse. I left my Baja stock, but took it's preferable neck features (to me), and transferred them to my 1999 '52 AVRI. I got a flame maple neck from Tommy at USACG, with stainless medium jumbo frets, soft V, and measuring .93 thick. That's going on the AVRI, whenever I get around to completing the finishing work on it.

songtalk likes this.
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Boris, and others - I appreciate the suggestions. I think I'm just going to have to play some guitars until the right one drops in my lap. However, the AV is very high on my to-try list.

OTOH, I was fooling around with the Baja the other day and its faults seemed not so significant.

10. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I agree with one of the options Boris offered: the Highway 1 Texas Tele. It has a '50s look with modern stuff like truss rod adjustment at the nut, 12" radius, 6105 frets and the "greasebucket" circuit. I can't speak for all specimen of the model, but mine is the lightest Tele I've owned save a "69 Thinline RI. The model comes standard with higher output pickups. I bought mine used and it had Duncan stacked humbuckers in both positions which I replaced with a Don Mare "The 0038" set.

I believe the '50s Baja has the best standard pickups of any Fender offering not coming from the Custom Shop. That's the magic of the model to me. I am not a fan of the S-1 switch.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Actually, the American Standard has the same pickups - just missing the switching options. I like the 4 way - don't use the S1.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.