1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Update On The Busker Who Got His Guitar Smashed By A Karen...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

(CNN)When Matt Grant was out busking on the streets of Edinburgh, Scotland on Tuesday, "the worst thing that could have happened happened."

"The 26-year-old musician was confronted by a woman who grabbed his guitar and smashed it up, leaving him without the means to ply his trade.
    Later that evening, Grant set up a [crowd funding link removed] in the hope of raising enough money for a replacement.

He described the incident on the fundraising page, saying: "Often I don't rise to people coming up and talking nonsense but this lady was pushing it too far. She was in my face swearing and shouting at me. I told her to go away and she wasn't having any of it. She grabbed my guitar and smashed it over the ground."

What happened next, however, was a much nicer surprise.
    By the following day Grant had raised £4,000 (around $5,200) -- more than enough for the guitar, as well as other pieces of kit he planned to replace.
    But when he arrived at music store guitarguitar, the staff had a message for him. They had received a call from a "third party," who was trying to track Grant down to buy him a new guitar.
    Much to Grant's surprise, the benefactor turned out to be none other than "Seven Nation Army" singer Jack White.

The singer-songwriter, who was half of rock duo The White Stripes until 2011, heard about Grant's plight and asked his management to try to find him -- which they did by ringing around the guitar shops in the Scottish capital.
    Updating his GoFundMe page on Wednesday, Grant wrote: "Incredible. Jack White from The White Stripes got in touch this morning and decided to buy me a brand new guitar. Unbelievable. From one of the worst things to happen to one of the best. Once again, thank you for everyone's help."
    When Grant arrived at guitarguitar to collect his new acoustic instrument, he was put in touch with the singer's manager.
    He later took to Instagram with a video of himself busking again on Edinburgh's streets -- playing "Seven Nation Army."

He wrote: "This morning I came into @guitarguitaredinburgh to pick up the new acoustic. Next thing I know I'm on the phone to @officialjackwhitelive 's manager who tells me Jack White has seen my go fund me page, feels bad for what happened and wants to buy me a new guitar.
    "Flashforward one kid in a candy shop later testing as many guitars as possible and I settle on a #custommade #fenderstratocaster.
    "Absolute once in a million lifetimes thing happened today and I cannot thank Jack enough for his absolute generosity. Apparently he saw what happened and hit up his manager just this morning, who then amazingly tracked me down to the guitar shop just in time for me to walk out with this absolute beauty.
    "Thanks Jack. I'd love to thank you personally one day, you're a legend."

Chris Cunningham, a manager at guitarguitar, told CNN: "On the morning that Matt came into the store we received a call from a third party suggesting somebody wanted to buy a guitar for Matt as a gift. They had been phoning around the Edinburgh music stores looking for him. Matt was over the moon."
    Jon Wilkinson, White's UK publicist, confirmed to CNN that the guitar was bought by his client but would not comment further.
    CNN has reached out to Grant for comment.
    The episode follows a spate of celebrity benevolence in recent weeks. Over the summer, "Gladiator" actor Russell Crowe donated almost £3,000 ($3,870) to pay a struggling British student's drama school fees.
    A week earlier, Taylor Swift gave $30,000 to a London high school student who could not afford to take up her university place to study maths. "

Jack White is a class act.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/entertainment/jack-white-guitar-gbr-intl-scli/index.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2020
    Piotr, stompk, 39martind18 and 32 others like this.
  2. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

WASHINGTON—Fingering a few chords while approaching the lectern at the press conference, the nation’s men holding acoustic guitars announced their plans Monday to idly strum while you try to speak to them. “We believe the best response to any attempt to engage us in conversation is to nod our heads while tinkering around with a couple chord progressions without ever stopping to fully listen to anything you’re saying,” said Scott Wiley, 32, on behalf of acoustic guitar-toting men across the country, stressing that while they may make intermittent eye contact while saying things like “uh-huh” or “yeah, man, that sounds cool,” their focus ultimately remained on vaguely singing a few lyrics under their breath before launching into a blues-inflected lick. “Now, will we actually hear anything you’re trying to tell us? Right now, that’s unclear. But we just want everyone to know that regardless of how pressing you might think talking with us might be, we’re committed to grinning and tentatively plucking out variations on an Em chord for the foreseeable future.” At press time, the nation’s guitar-wielding men had responded to follow-up questions by biting their lips while finger-picking the introduction to “Blackbird.”

3. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, CA—Contradicting conventional wisdom that shopping at the musical instrument retail chain guarantees one a renowned and highly successful career in music, a new study released Monday revealed that a mere 88 percent of Guitar Center customers go on to become famous musicians. “While these findings may surprise anyone who has ever watched a Guitar Center customer noodle around on a Martin that is well out of their price range or play a slightly off-key rendition of Joe Satriani’s ‘Surfing With The Alien’ through a Marshall practice amp, our data indicate that as many as 12 percent of these individuals will never make it big,” the study read, adding that though music executives regularly prowl the store’s aisles, scrutinizing the deafening clamor of 20 guitars being played simultaneously in hopes of finding the next Eric Clapton or Steve Vai, the reality is that an alarming 1 out of 10 patrons of the music equipment superstore nationwide manage to fall through the cracks. “Granted, most of these individuals still achieve modest success, putting out a couple of solid albums and attracting a strong regional following, but they just never quite reach the level where they’re selling out stadiums night after night on massive world tours.” The study went on to conclude that every one of Guitar Center’s customers would almost certainly become international music celebrities if they started buying the most expensive kind of strings.

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

So good.

The original post, I mean.

:)

5. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

??????

soundchaser59, jays0n and Flip G like this.
  6. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Fair play JW, he always struck me as a good egg.

rand z, Jakedog, Mad Kiwi and 5 others like this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Crack ON, Jack White!

Dan R, Jakedog, gimmeatele and 5 others like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Jack White is one of my top guitar heroes, now he is even more of a hero.

stompk, Jakedog, stantheman and 4 others like this.
  9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The world is an amazing place ...:)

good to see this muso being supported in such a way... kudos to those who cared enough to help/reach out..:cool:

Dan R, Jakedog, Ronzo and 5 others like this.
  10. West44th

West44th TDPRI Member

That was an absolutely beautiful gesture by Jack White. Fair play to him!

Dan R, rand z, Jakedog and 6 others like this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I don't know, I guess I can't help but be skeptical, that of the dozens of smashed guitars that have happened in the past month, that didn't go viral, a celeb decided to respond to the one that did. It worked - here we are talking about the celeb, building more notoriety and brand recognition. Also, I'm a bit skeptical of the whole thing. What did this guy do, that may have escalated this thing? I personally don't believe in the "karen" profile. I think its a manufactured straw woman, convenient to blame lots of things on, that isn't accurate. Just offering an honest counter point view.

12. Torren61

13. Torren61

For those that found the article TLDR, Jack White got his manager to call all the music stores in Edinburgh and paid for the guy to get a Custom Shop Strat. I see no need to question his motives. He went out of his way to do a way cool thing that he didn't have to do.

14. Cass

Cass TDPRI Member

What an experience! Jack is champion for pursuing this. So are the hundreds of people who reached out though the online funding. This episode (I imagine) will provide inspiration to get a few Jack White tracks into the repertoire, maybe Lennon's Imagine (thinking of 'all the people . . ' who reached out through funding). Perhaps even inspiration for a song of it's own. Grist to the mill for a busker!

Fiesta Red, simoncroft and Torren61 like this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-busker-guitar-smashed-broad-19136969

Fiesta Red and Torren61 like this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe Jack read all the crap we (many of us that is) had to say about his SNL performance and decided to woo us with something less controversial?

We think Jack is lousy with guitar and vocals but we like how he spends his money?

Meanwhile I hope the busker used some of the five grand to buy another acoustic since his Jack White guitar choice was a custom Strat?
    I used to do some busking, never made out that good!

Torren61 likes this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

He should have got a Tele for busking....:rolleyes:.. and write "try and smash this" on the front....:lol:

18. Torren61

In the article, he did buy an acoustic but also bought the Custom Shop Strat which is exactly what I'd do if JW was buying me a guitar of my choice. As for JW's performance on SNL, I loved it. I thought he and the band were way above excellent. Buying the guy a new guitar just shows what a class act he is as well.

Mad Kiwi, RomanS, gkterry and 3 others like this.
  19. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

FAKE NEWS!!!
    there's always one, eh?

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I like Jack a lot and had high hopes he might be the hero we needed to get Rock out of the tar pits and back into the fore.
    Absolutely it was a fine gesture on his part to donate a new top shelf guitar to the young busker.
    Even knowing the busker already made probably ten times what he lost, by crowdfunding.
    $5200 and a CS Strat? Mmmm nice but...

I guess this is a classic get off my lawn moment but I gotta say of all the needs right now for charity to alleviate suffering, I could not take all that for myself.
    I might not say no thanks I’m not really hurting; but I would certainly give a chunk of the money to more worthy causes.
    Not that guitars aren’t worthy but I jumped the turnstiles and went without food to satisfy my guitar needs when the going got tough.

Good old get off my lawn Clint sacrificed his life for kids he formerly called gooks in the movie we love to embody as curmudgeonly guitar players who suffer from GAS.

This seems to be a season to help our neighbors here and across the symbolic pond.
    I once had a famous sax player make a similar offer but politely declined as I felt charity should go to the poor and struggling.

Am I an ass for feeling that way about charity?
    If homeless (and I have been homeless) I would accept charity, but damn all us first world guitar players with hot & cold running water, food in the fridge, guitars and clean clothes, even nicely primped hair? Do we need $7000 for a busted acoustic?

Of course maybe the busker has a crippling handicap and struggles doing the only thing he knows to make a living, maybe he has medical bills to pay and could get a better paying uptown theater orchestra gig with the CS Strat, or maybe the next news story tells how he donated most of the charity money to the more needy in his community?

pixeljammer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.