Update on my Springfield Elite 10mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I finally got to fire off some rounds. Very nice pistol. And NO, it doesn't kick like a mule! I was surprised as others that reviewed the pistol. I ordered some 15 round magazines thinking I needed more to grip. Don't think I'll need em, but happy to have em available.
And about the CCW permit, put on a coat or jacket and I am in violation of the law. Besides, the classes to get a permit is always a good thing. (Training, that is)!
elite vs standard.png mine is the small one. other is standard size

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The CCW classes come in a wide range of quality depending on the instructors. I went to a friend of mine who was both a State Trooper and State Ballistics expert for the crime lab. On top of that, he is a great gunsmith and ran the class out of his gun store.

He provided some excellent real world instruction on the legal aspects of carrying and when to use it. Not all instructors are as good. You really don't get instruction on how to shoot...they assume you already have that part in your toolbox.

I have been involved in one shooting as a civillian and despite the clear-cut situation, it still resulted in a 3 week wait to see if the State was going to file charges against me. Be sure of your situation before you ever draw that thing and practice often!!

"You can never miss too quickly"

gabeNC

Tele-Meister
Great reply by Milspec. The initial CCW class was mostly a lot of scenarios and what the law is for that particular state, reciprocation etc. Interesting that my home state of Texas got mentioned a few times... mostly for stuff that isn't legal in NC. :confused:

Very little actual range time outside of qualification but I train often and was prior military. I didn't care too much for my instructor, a little too much ego but he was a seasoned police officer and Army vet. After you get the permit, take some advanced courses like efficiently drawing from conceal, or advanced pistol training. Those classes are highly recommended.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The three biggest skills you need in your tool box are the following:

1. Efficient drawing and getting to aim point
2. Weak hand shooting...need to be able to shoot with either hand just in case the strong side is injured or you need to shoot around a weak side barrier.
3. Index finger shooting as taught by the FBI

For those that are not familiar with the index finger style, let me explain. Hold the pistol orientation using your middle finger on the trigger and your shooting index finger along the slide pointing forward. This does a couple of things. It provides for a very stable grip (once you practice enough), allows for a true straight back pull of the trigger instead of pulling the gun off target in stressful shooting, and the best thing....it allows you to aim by just pointing your finger at the target instead of using your sights. You simply point to the target and fire.

It isn't as precise as using the sights, but you are not looking to be challenged to a bowling pin shoot on the street, you are needing to be able to hit a man-sized target faster than they can shoot you. Being able to just point your finger instead of aiming gets you the first shot and that aiming point will be close enough for that size of target.

I was taught that method about 20 years ago at Quantico and once you practice for awhile, it becomes very natural and very effective. Just remember to keep that index finger out of the slide's lockup when doing it.

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
For proper training at downright ridiculous prices, the trip from Colorado to Nevada might be something to consider...
IMO, every law-abiding gun carrier should make the trip.
www.frontsight.com

You guys are something. I have looked into the Vegas outfits for more training. I have family in Vegas, too. Dad turns 93!! in a week, so i was planning to be there. I'd rather pay to learn from someone's experience, than to learn from my mistakes. Usually not a good thing. I hired a trainer for my first range lesson. It had been awhile since I had a handgun. I look forward to more teaching. Learning what not to do is more important than what to do for me.

soundchaser59

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
On top of practicing often look into joining USCCA or US Law Shield.
The more one reads about the subject the more one realizes that those are the two most advertised and most talked about, but opinions vary widely on which service is actually the most valuable. Most industry writers don't have either of those in the top spot. I don't know enough to explain why, but the more I learn the more surprised I am at what is being sold and recommended by retailers.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I finally got to fire off some rounds. Very nice pistol. And NO, it doesn't kick like a mule! I was surprised as others that reviewed the pistol. I ordered some 15 round magazines thinking I needed more to grip. Don't think I'll need em, but happy to have em available.
And about the CCW permit, put on a coat or jacket and I am in violation of the law. Besides, the classes to get a permit is always a good thing. (Training, that is)!
View attachment 924263 mine is the small one. other is standard size
Please explain the statement about put on a coat, and you're in violation.....does that mean ONLY open carry is legal?
In Texas, the law formerly allowed "concealed carry" only. If your coat or shirt lifted and revealed a weapon, you were in violation. We now have both concealed AND open carry. I will always carry "concealed", for the element of surprise, (I don't want to be "Target One") but if the wind blows my coat and reveals my handgun, I'm not in trouble.
Thanks.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
All you need is these two phrases:

1. "I was in fear for my life."
  2. "I had no other option."

If you can't remember them, write them down on a piece of paper and stick it in your wallet.
Then tell the nice man with the badge what's on the paper.
Maybe you won't go to jail then.

This from an NRA-certified instructor.

220-nitron-discon-2021.jpg

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Please explain the statement about put on a coat, and you're in violation.....does that mean ONLY open carry is legal?
In Texas, the law formerly allowed "concealed carry" only. If your coat or shirt lifted and revealed a weapon, you were in violation. We now have both concealed AND open carry. I will always carry "concealed", for the element of surprise, (I don't want to be "Target One") but if the wind blows my coat and reveals my handgun, I'm not in trouble.
Thanks.

Yep!

I always check out LEO in stores etc with their sidearms hanging out there. EASY grab if I wanted as their guard is down. Civilians such as ourselves are even less aware so not advertising a great strategy.

I've been eyeing Gunsite and Thunder Ranch for training. Thunder Ranch has a Las Vegas course coming up for those of us who don't want to head to Oregon. $840....may be well spent! https://thunderranchinc.com/product/defensive-handgun-1-dh1-las-vegas/

Gunsite expensive, I think basic pistol course a week +/- for ~$2000 but they have an RV park which is a plus for me!

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
View attachment 924263 mine is the small one. other is standard size

What's that outer casing made of?
Both guns look very plastic in that picture. o_O

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
All you need is these two phrases:

1. "I was in fear for my life."
  2. "I had no other option."

If you can't remember them, write them down on a piece of paper and stick it in your wallet.
Then tell the nice man with the badge what's on the paper.
Maybe you won't go to jail then.

This from an NRA-certified instructor.

And then shut up! Watch this video!!!! It's great how it's followed up with a real LEO who says....umm yep... that's how we work so beware!

Everyone who CCW's should read at the minimum:

Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense
by Massad

and

The Law of Self Defense: The Indispensable Guide to the Armed Citizen
by Andrew F. Branca

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
For proper training at downright ridiculous prices, the trip from Colorado to Nevada might be something to consider...
IMO, every law-abiding gun carrier should make the trip.
www.frontsight.com

I attended a class at Front Sight years ago when they started up and it was downright weird. There were pictures of founder and Grand Poobah Doctor Ignatius Piazza everywhere, and I got a sense of what it must have been like in Russia in the 1920s with Lenin glaring at you from every street corner.

Yeah, the training was good, but methinks Tha Good Doctor may have a slight megalomaniac complex.

soundchaser59

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
What's that outer casing made of?
Both guns look very plastic in that picture. o_O
There is some kind off coating they can "bake on" to get the colors, but many guns now are polymer for all the parts that don't require metal. Some people can make a convincing case for why polymer lasts longer. So in a sense they look plastic because in a way they are plastic.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Front Sight is not very well-regarded (putting it lightly) in the shooting world. I would steer way clear.

I would recommend the following (not an exhaustive list, by any means):

Gunsite
Sheepdog Response
Fieldcraft Survival
CSAT
TMACS Inc.

Some of these you have to travel for, while some make the rounds around the country and you can catch a class closer to home.

Good luck.

Scott

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Talking about firearms is allowed.

As soon as it crosses into laws and politics it not allowed.

Take it somewhere else.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.