Update on my double bass ownership and playing....

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by FortyEight, Oct 7, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I personally would rather buy somehwere else than amazon.... Let me check what they have out there.

I hear you about having both be a good idea. Lot of guys I like their sound play a Jazz. I think part of the issue with the country band is so many instruments. I don't know. But it's probably a lot of things. If I give it more time I might be able to find the right sound in the mix.

I will say that the P is easier to play sitting down. The jazz I have wants to slip off my leg and I gotta like prop my like up the whole time cuz I sit. Plus it's a half pound heavier. But man do I love that neck.

Yeah like I said earlier I tried one of those japanese ones and I didn't really like the feel of it for some reason. It was brand new but it wasn't speaking to me. Even besides the fact that it was expensive.

The farm and fleet by me carries that brand weller but they don't carry that unit. Just 15 and 25 watters. I might just go ahead and order it from stew mac tonight or tomorrow and just wait for it to come in. As long as it's in stock.... I gotta check that.

2. jsiddall

jsiddall TDPRI Member

I agree with @Ronzo, you are probably better off with the Weller. It's not that the HF is necessarily bad, but it is so hard to predict with odd brands. The HF one is definitely a more advanced iron, with temperature regulation and all, but quality is a big unknown. With the Weller you know what you are getting.

I also agree about not modifying the J-bass. If you want a PJ then go find one you like and then either keep your P and J (what I would recommend) or sell one or both of those. If you start modifying you will spend money doing it right and it will still be worth less in the end.

3. FortyEight

I got my teeth cleaned this morning and stopped by an Ace that I knew was near there. They had a 40 watt Weller so I picked it up!!!!! Plan on working on it this afternoon. Hopefully I can accomplish it. I've watched a vid on stew mac and I may watch a few more and then dig in. I mean I've done it before, with like no instruction. LOL. I don't remember who showed me how to at least do it. I think my BIL did when we used to build RC cars. I mean that was over 30 years ago. LOL.

That was all confusing. I successfully connected a ground that got pulled off on my Strat in the last 6 months. But beyond that it was just as a kid I did some. And I don't know if I had all the ins and outs of soldering told to me. LOL.

4. FortyEight

so i got my teeth cleaned today and remembered there was an Ace Hardware over there im not in all that often and praise God they had a bunch of Wellers of varying watts. i got the 40. but the had a 50 and 90.

somehow after having watched 1 stew mac video and buying the 40watter the miracle of electricity swirled around my garage and i managed to wire it up. it wasnt nearly as pretty as the factory job. and i had to jumper the lug with a wire. on the original the lug was bent down to touch the metal housing and 2 black wires soldered on top. im assuming ground. the lugs on the new one werent as long. i dont know how but it worked after the first try. yaaaay.

and the connections seem solid. the one on topvis dirty ish. oh well. i got a pic so u can laugh but i think theres enough solder on all points.

thanks a ton for the help guys.

spent a good bit of time playing both basses through both my amps and a thought did hit me.... i wonder if its time for a bigger amp or if thats just silly. not sure if a 15" or 18" would be an assett. its hard to tell if i need to get more lower frequencies. sometimes i feel like that can make the bass get lost too. then its like just some low rumble that has very little note definition. i hear thia with bass players all the time.

Attached Files:

Blackout Jazz likes this.
  5. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

@FortyEight, if it all works, it’s all good. Congratulations! :)

Blackout Jazz and FortyEight like this.
  6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Glad to hear you had a good solder story! Now you can A/B those two instruments in earnest and get a better feel for how they differ and where each might excel, or not appeal to you as the case may be. That ought to be enough variables to keep you entertained for a bit! Especially with country covers and home originals going on simultaneously. That’s jumping in the tone analysis deep end, right there.

Hope this doesn’t come off as captain know-it-all; it’s intended to be helpful, but:

As emphatically as I can say it: speaker diameter does not determine how bassy or trebly a bass amp is. There are bright 15s and there are 8s and 10s that go real deep and need a tweeter’s help to produce bass guitar highs. This is a common misconception and an easy one to adopt, because a zillion people keep it alive on the internet.

I have a 1 x 15 bass combo that can get bright, but which does not go as low, deep and smooth as my 4 x 8” cabinet. The former has a 200-watt 15 with modest cone travel maximums (“Xmas”) and the latter has four 200-watt 8s that have a lot of Xmax, and different cone, cone surround and magnet design. The 8s are in a lot slicker of a box design, too, not built down to a low price point. There are many relevant parameters that differ, but not the 15 vs 8 part.

Hey, also, once you get to bounce back and forth on those a bit and get a handle on the differences, shoot me a PM if you want to try some flats on one of them. I went from old rounds to new D’Addario chrome flats a few years back on my Squier P, and at first it seemed weird-sounding but smooth-feeling. After a couple of practices I realized I needed less EQing to get what I wanted with the flats. That seemed encouraging. I like them a lot now!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    FortyEight likes this.
  7. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Imaginary board meeting at a well renown guitar company..
    - We really should expand, build more basses!
    - Nah, the market is oversaturated and we own it anyway - board is laughing
    - But they are collectible, people will by them as an investment..
    - .. they are not. Vintage in the next 50 years? Come on! - board is laughing heavily
    - But, but what if somebody breaks a pot and needs a new bass?
    Board is rolling on the floor laughing

;)

8. FortyEight

thanks for the amp talk. i like my rumble 100 gen II. but i guess i wasnt sure if its part of the issue with feeling a bit meh with the jazz. i can say that the rumble 40 gen 3 doesnt hold a candle to it. its just not as full sounding. with either bass.

9. FortyEight

still working. Practiced last night for 3 hours. Hopefully there is no reason to think it will stop working. But I will typically keep a spare around. I'm still unsure about what to do. Part of me wants to have another P as a back up, and put some flats on it. But the other part of me wants to keep the jazz. It's just so cool to play. Maybe flats on the jazz would help the sound but I do feel like the P just does better for the country band and maybe just in general. It's got a way of having it's own frequencies in the mix.... I think.

10. Blackout Jazz

Blackout Jazz Tele-Meister

I have a V2 R150 15". It's low and it's loud.

FortyEight likes this.
  11. FortyEight

I think the rumble 200 Gen III would be nice. Light and likely to sound good. The tweeter is able to turn on and off. xlr out and effects loop. Etc. But for now I'm just gonne keep playing the Gen II rumble 100 2-10"ers. I'm never above 3 on the volume when we gig.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

When you say the J sounds thin, are you judging that with both pickups on?

If so, then use the neck pickup only. Both pickups on is a thin sound with weird frequency notches and sucked out midrange. It exacerbates the volume imbalances that Js naturally have, and removes presence and warmth.

And if you are trying to reduce treble by pulling the pickup poles away from the strings, you are barking up the wrong tree. You need to do exactly the opposite. Raise the pickup to make it sound thicker and warmer.

A J on the neck pickup can easily sound like a P. The major difference will be that the P has perfect string to string volume balance, while the J suffers from non-staggered pickup syndrome: the inner strings are quieter than the outer ones.

13. FortyEight

I will try the moving closer. I've tried all pups. I hear what you're saying about both pups. But strangely enough when I gigged with it, it sat in the mix better with more of the bridge pup on. I started the night, and typcally do with just the neck pup.

Like I said I've used it all ways. It's all about in the mix, not on its own. On its own the neck pup sounds great. I may need to tweak the pup height more or something.

I'm glad you get yours to sound just like a P. I've not had that experience yet. But I can keep trying.

14. FortyEight

I heightened the pups last night. We will see how that does. It was too late to play loud. LOL. I think I'm coming to the conclusion I just like my P better though. LOL. Not sure what I'm gonna do with a lightly used CV Jazz.... Maybe someone will buy it. I do want to keep a back up for gigs though. But I think I'm starting to come to the conclusion I either want another P or try a Mustang. I'm almost afraid to go down another style route cuz I may end up with the same results. That I like my P the best. LOL.

Who knows. I'm just talking so I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow.

But after my gig on saturday and practice last week I can say I just find it easier to find a spot in the mix with the P.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.