UPdate: NAD With a Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Joe M, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Many, many Celestions weigh 10 lbs., including Vintage 30s.
    Often, speakers without back labels or other markings were OEM in closed-back cabs, because no one was going to see any labels anyway. You'd only get a label in a combo. Mesa did this quite often.
    No markings at all makes my two-cent guess an Eminence-made. They make a ton of OEM speakers for a lot of manufacturers.
    FYI, the 200-watt EVM 12L comes in at 19.1 lbs.

Wally likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

my point being that while that might a fairly heavy speaker for a stamped frame that it is far from being a true heavyweight when compared to a high watt, cast frame speaker. ;)

3. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Oh, I understand what you meant, Wally. I guess I should have said "it's the heaviest guitar amp speaker I have ever seen" :) (Oopps, I did say that)

4. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I'm also guessing that it is a vintage 30. It seems that one vintage 30 isn't necessarily the same as another. I have had some amps/cabs with them in the distant past that sounded complete yuck and others that sounded ok. I didn't make much of thinking about whether they were different versions of the same speaker (not the same speaker). I have read that the Marshall labeled vintage 30's are different than the Celestion labeled ones, for example.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I had EV speakers before and this one looks like it.

Actually after looking at your second picture, it looks nothing like my EV speakers

6. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

How about asking the guy you bought it from?

7. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Does not look like a Celestion to me. Not the basket, not the magnets. Looks sort of chintzy in the pics, but maybe it's some non-ordinary wonder speaker. If the Jensen, which is a nice but not thrilling speaker, sounds better, then I wouldn't think the mystery speaker is all that great.

Wally likes this.
  8. Joe M

Admin Post
    Came from a shop across the country, not an individual.

9. Wally

I am leaning towards thinking that this is a made in China speaker....maybe a Johnson. I bought a Johnson 12”/150 watt, stamped frame speaker in the late ‘90s that was a very good speaker...better than the MIC Celestions I have heard. But...we may never know....

10. Joe M

Admin Post
    Thanks for all your input, Wally. You're one of the guys on this forum whose opinion I respect. FWIW, I am one of those guys that don't like to mod anything; guitars, amps, pedals, etc. So after putting the Jensen in the amp, which Fender originally shipped these with, I am a happy camper. When I'm able, I'll take the speaker to one of my local gurus to see if he has an opinion, but for now, I'm gonna let this thread die.

Kirk out....

Wally likes this.
  11. Wally

Thanks Joe, but....you might have to lock the thread to kill it!!!! LOL.....
    I would bet that an Eminence Alessandro GA-12 would be an upgrade that you would really enjoy. I am not a fan of modern Jensen’s, but ommv.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.