UPdate: NAD With a Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Joe M, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Just brought home a used mint condition hand-wired '64 Deluxe Reverb that I found online. Only flaw is some of the tolex on top is bubbled a bit, I'm pretty sure from manufacture. If I wasn't so picky, I wouldn't even mention it. Sounds absolutely fantastic. I've had many '65 Deluxe RI and always thought they sounded very good; this amp sounds great. Is it twice as good as the regular production model? Probably not, but I don't want to get into that debate.

Anyway, my question is....the speaker has absolutely no markings on it anywhere. I know the amp is supposed to come with a Jensen C-12Q speaker. My only guess is the previous owner took the big Jensen sticker off the magnet. The rest of the speaker looks like it is the Jensen as far as the cosmetics go. I thought there would be some kind of numbers on the frame somewhere, but I sure can't find any.

Here's a pic of the speaker.... rIvy5ZCBSi67MNumEG2nmg.jpg

Any ideas other than the sticker being removed??
    Thanks

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  2. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I have no idea.
    Hope this helps.

stepvan, jrblue, demon and 2 others like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

JoeM, that does not look like a Jensen ime. The picture leaves a lot to the imagination, though. Can you get some light on the subject?? I have a feeling that that is a cast frame EV.....but it is dark in there! Insufficient data, imho.

nojazzhere and Teleguy61 like this.
  4. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

The wide 'spokes' of the basket and the 4 screw holes make me think it's a celestion of some kind.

[​IMG]

CV Jee Beez and GFrank like this.
  5. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

The sticker peeled off the Vintage 30 in my Matchless Lightning combo - I think it was the heat from the valves (tubes).

6. Wally

Looking at this one again, there are no bolt holes in the back of that huge magnet for the bolts that hold the radiator fins on...if used. we still need some light on the subject.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Looks like a Pyle. Old Utah company. Imho

8. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

It is definitely not a Jensen C12Q, the magnet is way too big.
    With no markings or anything it is really difficult to say what it is.

9. Wally

The legs on the basket are closer to a right angle to the base than in most speakers. That big magnet demands some strength and stiffness there. In that respect it is nothing like the Celestion above or the Jensen C12K’s I am looking at in this TRRI.

10. Joe M

Admin Post
    I agree, after looking at the speaker again, it's not the stock Jensen with the sticker removed, the basket is way different and the magnet is way bigger. And, Wally, think you're right about the Celestion also. Doesn't look like the mounting screws have been molested either. Really kind of a moot point since it sounds killer. Here's another pic I snapped of the basket.. XED6M3yrQb2zSn49qo7l1A.jpg

Hmm, third look, it might be a Celestion....

Wally likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sounds killer=a win in my book...unless there is collector's value in having the OEM speaker?

12. Joe M

Admin Post
    Really doubt that, storm, those Jensen speakers can be had anywhere. And, yup, seems like a win to me. :D

stormsedge likes this.
  13. Joe M

Admin Post
    UPDATE: Took the mystery speaker out of the amp this afternoon and, literally, went over it with a magnifying glass...nothing, nada, zero, markings anywhere on the frame, magnet, cone, spider, even on the underside of each. So I went ahead and swapped in the correct Jensen C12Q speaker that was supposed to be in the amp, and couldn't be happier. In addition to losing at least 5 lbs. of weight, as good as I thought the mystery speaker sounded, the Jensen sounds better. Clearer, more shimmer, with still plenty of bass without breaking up or flubbing out (unless I dime the amp :eek:). Guess Fender had it right when they made the amp and I also guess I'll never know what kind of speaker the black one is, although the pic of the Celestion that Mexitele Blues posted looks like it might be the one.

14. Wally

Can you show us a picture of the speaker’s side profile...showing the angle of the basket legs and the relative size of the magnet?

15. Joe M

Admin Post
    Amhy7IWSRlOqCxHOWaxUIg.jpg
    Here you go Wally.....

Wally likes this.
  16. Wally

17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sure looks like a Celestion speaker design...especially an old bass amp speaker

18. Joe M

Admin Post
    As I said earlier, it does look a lot like the pic that Mexitele Blues posted earlier in this thread. And I'm starting to believe more and more that it's not a guitar speaker, maybe from a bass cab or even a PA monitor or main. Oh, and I also mentioned, the thing must weigh at least 10 lbs., it's the heaviest speaker I've ever seen.

19. Wally

Lol...10 pounds??? Heaviest??? It can not possibly have the weight of a high watt, cast frame speaker like an EV. But...yes, that is a large speaker.

LuthRavin likes this.
  20. Joe M

Admin Post
    Well, I wasn't too far off with the weight....dug out my ole Zebco Fish DeLiar and it weighed just shy of 10 lbs. :D

Jlwctn and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.