1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

UPDATE: massive Glendale props.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vanguard, Oct 23, 2009.

1. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

so you may have seen my thread on my flawed glendale bridge. i ended up returning it for a replacement. he shipped the replacement ASAP, but with one problem: he somehow missed a note in my return package containing my shipping address, so he sent the new plate to an ancient apartment address i lived at like 4 years ago. i was bummed to say the least, and finally just asked for a refund. he offered me the refund, but begged for a chance to make things right and offered me a free item off his site to make up for the mistake. so, yes that's right, he sent me the replacement plate he owed me, AND HE SENT ME A COMPLIMENTARY SET OF TWANG SADDLES!!!
    i got my guitar back together and the saddles are insane. i never knew what perfect intonation sounded like on a tele, and let me tell you, it is incredible. i always thought,"meh, close enough for rock." but perfect intonation is incredible. i just screwed them on, tuned it up and BAM perfection with only a few height adjustments.
    the saddles sound great too: really fat and twangy. consider me a born again glendale fanatic!!!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

I have a set too and have to say the intonation is not any better than the standard Fender saddles they replaced. I checked and double checked they were fitted correctly and they are.
    Did I get a bad set ? Is it possible to get a bad set ? What is the problem ?

3. Motor

Motor Tele-Holic

I've got the Twang saddles and the Blackguard Cold Rolled Steel bridge plate. Fantastic sound and intonation. No complaints whatsoever.

Love his product. Congratulations on yours. You are sure to enjoy them for a long time to come.

Cheers,
    Motor

4. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Scotland, I am stunned to hear that, and I'm sorry you haven't had a good experience with the Glendale saddles.

I have had a few sets now from Dale, and although they are not the cheapest saddles you'll ever buy, the difference (read "huge improvement") they give to the age-old 3-saddle intonation problem is just fantastic.

I've played for years thinking "Well, the intonation isn't perfect but its as near as I'll ever get with 3 saddles". And then someone here on the TDPRI turned me onto Glendales.

I was sceptical - until I fitted my first set. Almost PERFECT intonation - certainly as near as one could ever get with 2 strings sharing each saddle. Each set has made the same improvement. I tried the StewMac "compensated" saddles - erm, yes, well... probably the less said the better. Let's put it this way - Glendales vs. StewMacs is about the same as Glasgow Celtic vs. Strathspey Thistle (currently 2nd bottom of the Scottish Highland League....):lol:

The StewMacs are "ok", but Glendales are the "real deal". Couldn't be happier or more satisfied....:cool:

5. dbeeman

dbeeman TDPRI Member

Yep Dale is the real deal.

Great service, great product.

6. PCR985

PCR985 Tele-Meister

Scotland: When I first got my Glendale Bridge and Saddle set, I had a similar intonation problem. No matter what I did, or my tech, I could not get it perfect. At the time, I was playing DR Pure Blues (my favorite strings). I had heard that sometimes strings could make a difference, so I changed sets of strings at least 6 times. Each time I wound up a set of DR's the intonation was very consistent: consistently off.

Then one day I wound up a set of D'Addario's; and WHAM, with 3 minor tweaks of the screw driver the intonation was dead on!

DR Pure Blues are still my favorite strings on my Strats, but now I play D'Addarios pure nickels on my Tele.

Try winding up a different set of strings to see if it helps. It's an inexpensive test.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Which board radius have you got, Scotland?

Which string set do your prefer?

I find the Glendale seems best calibrated for a 10-16" radius, with 10s.

Since a 7.25 radius with 11-49 strings is pretty much acceptable to me with 3 sets of straight saddles (vintage frets), it stands to reason the angle of the Glendale would be too much compensation if I swapped the straights for the Glendales.

I didn't think much on it at the time, but I did first start using the Glendale product right after I got a dozen or so 10-16" compound radius Warmoth necks (6105 frets) - and my current favorite for the last year or so is a USACG 9.5-12" radius (6125 frets)

I generally always use 11-49 or bigger on the vintage guitars; the 10.5s and 10's show up more on the more modern projects although 11-49 is common there, too.

I have used a lot of these Stew Mac # 5167 saddles because of the less severe slant - I am splitting the difference in this way.

8. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

I had a neck on my Glendale Guitar go south on me after a couple of years.

Sent me another no charge. No problems 4 day turn around.

Dale has always been more then fair and easy to talk to. He knows as much about intonation as anyone. Talk to him.

Maybe you should have the guitar professionally set up. Couldn't hurt.

9. Scotland

I use 9.5 gauge on a 7.25" radius. I have not yet tried another string manufacturer or indeed, gauge but I will now to see if it makes a difference.
    I actually have the Glendales on two of my Teles and have to say both sets give the same results. As far as set up is concerned, they are set up to perfection so it's not that. It's not really a problem to me to be honest but I just wondered how everyone else seems to have perfect results with them except me.

10. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For a minute there I thought Glendale were making boat propellers.

11. Fatmanstratman

Don't take it personally, Scotland.....:lol:..:lol:..:lol:

[​IMG]

12. Scotland

Me ---paranoid ?? What makes you think that ? Is everyone talking about it ?
    "StewMacs is about the same as Glasgow Celtic vs. Strathspey Thistle" that's about the best analogy I have read in 2009. :lol: :lol:

13. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

That's really odd Scotland. I've got a set and the difference is amazing. Have you tried emailing Dale and getting some advice fm him. I would try a string brand change tho.

14. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

I have seen what the Glendale products can do to a troublesome bridge...great products, the guy seems to be a class act.

15. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

string gauge change means a lot of things change.

Tension, how the string sit in the nut, distance from frets and pups. All these things will effect your set up

16. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Scotland...by any chance are you using D'Addarios ?

17. Scotland

Yes.

18. Fatmanstratman

I hear the barking, mellecaster, but I think it may be up the wrong tree....

I use D'Addarios too, and my intonation is PERFECT with the Glendales.

What is your theory?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.