1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

UPDATE: Follow up doctor's visit...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Nov 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

For what I hope are obvious reasons I wouldn't feel comfortable 'liking' that post Wulf ... but fair play.

Wulf likes this.
  2. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Surprised to read that you eat eggs and bacon, and were able to turn around your health issues. I guess, whatever works for you. Congrats!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:40 AM
  3. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Congrats!

(By "lifestyle change" do you mean you went from playing a Tele to playing an SG?)

carpenter likes this.
  4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

I respect people who speak their mind
    the truth is merely our experiences and how we relate to them...and im glad i wasnt soft soaped as it were..honesty is better than "sheeps urine" for want of a better phrase
    i can only relate my own experiences in this regard
    due to what i have seen. and had to go through
    i know there are plenty out there who wont do anything to help themselves...if theyre too daft to do that...its up to them isnt it.
    and i know my current doctor on a first name basis...he is also a good friend...and a damn fine doctor to boot...if i had known him when wife was ill...or myself i would doubtless have a different truth to tell
    and my poor diabetic friend thinks all the meds he has been given are making him feel worse...but that could be himself not doing what he should do to help his complaint
    I might not agree with everything folk say...but will fight to the death to defend their right to say it

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    41144 likes this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

ANATHEMA! How could you even think such a thing?!? :eek::twisted:

Truth is, I've never played an SG that I liked. (Not that I've had lots of experience with them.) The necks on the ones I've tried felt flat and thin. And I'm a single coil guy, so...

MisterZ and Wulf like this.
  6. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

never got on with Gibson SGs either...cant quite put my finger on why...yamaha SG2000...had one..it got pinched from a gig...i dare not tell you what i would do to the thieving git that took it if i ever find him...that was a great guitar

7. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

Hope you continue to do well and feel well presently and in the future.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

A great story and hopefully inspiration for others.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Awesome story! happy for you and your loved ones!

LGOberean likes this.
  10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Good news !

Ups and downs here , Im afraid

After 2019 , we had no idea that 2020 could be worse. My wife had breast cancer in the summer of 19 , it was caught very early . She got through it quickly , just a small operation , no chemo or radiation.
    All tests after that , everything ok.

She was really lucky , but one doesnt know that through the proces , so it was kind of tough on us both.
    We both stopped smoking the day before her operation , I was the chain smoker , and boy , this is hard , even over a year later.

We havent smoked since july 13 2019 , any of Us.

Because of her treatment with hormones ( basically menopause , but much worse side effects than most have ) she gained weight fast. So did I , because I was a slob , that just let everything go.

I have had diabetes 2 for at least 10 years , and used to manage without meds.
    Cant do that anymore , but we are both on the right track again , losing weight , and excersising much more.
    We can do this , and so can most other people , that want to...

My Boss started walking one hour after work every day , 18 months ago. He has lost 30 KILOS , and Cholesterol and BP meds arent needed any longer.......Imagine that , just from taking a walk every day.

electrichead, MisterZ and LGOberean like this.
  11. LGOberean

@viking you touched on a key point when you talked about most "that want to" can do something to bring about health change. I have heard people offer up a lot of "reasons" (excuses) why they can't eat right or exercise. And sometimes their reasons aren't just flimsy excuses, such as an injury that made certain types of exercise difficult.

I could have played that card. My knees were bad, and still are. When I started walking, just a slight twist of that joint would result in a stabbing pain. But I knew the benefits of walking, and wanted to press on. So I was slow and deliberate in my steps, and increased my distance slowly, over time.

And the exercise strengthened the muscles around the knee, which resulted in less instability and less pain. The process built up that strength to where I am today. I will occasionally twist my knee and still feel that stabbing pain, or step from one elevation to another (whether up or down), and the impact hurts my knee. But again, the strengthened muscles now enable me to walk 3+ miles per day, with little to no pain.

Oh, and pain? I like what the Dread Pirate Roberts (Westley) said about it in The Princess Bride...

MisterZ and envirodat like this.
  12. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

This is awesome news Larry and you should be bragging and proud of what you accomplished. That is the path that not many have taken but the rewards you have had are sweet. I am sure now what was a chore is more a way of life because you made it a habit and the odds of you deviating from it in the future would be slim.

Although I have had some health issues long ago, none were what like you described. I had a doctor when I turned 40 gave me Zetia for my cholesterol. The med gave me heart flutters and I said I wouldn’t take it anymore. I am grateful he didn’t put up with my stupidity and he said, fine, maybe you should take responsibility for your health by eating right. He gave me the American Heart diet plan and it put me on the path of where I am today. I am so glad he challenged me. Within a year of changing my diet and as you have said “eating to live, not living to eat” My weight went from 230 down to 183. My cholesterol is around 160 to 170 for the last 17 years. All the other numbers are spot on. Now I can’t imagine going back to those ways. My wife and I love to cook and it is a great thing we share.

With a family history of diabetes I was on track for that as well and all those numbers are good now too since I changed my ways. Weight for me is key.

I won’t lie that my ego and butt hurt from that kick in the pants he gave me but I am so glad he cared enough to boot me hard. Each year I have my physical I thank him for that great lesson. He tells me that less than 5% of the people he tries to help will take their health in his hands and it makes him sad.

13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great feeling one can Only get when you Live to tell about it.
    YEP!!!

LGOberean likes this.
  14. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

P-90s are single coil...or so I've heard.

LGOberean likes this.
  15. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n TDPRI Member

I’m a firm believer in intermittent fasting. And following a low calorie low carb hi (natural) fat Mediterranean style diet, both of which are proven to be very efffective in lowering cholesterol, lowering blood pressure and reversing type2 in some.

LGOberean likes this.
  16. LGOberean

:lol:

You're right, of course. One of the SG's I tried out was equipped with dual P-90s. but that neck...

And FWIW, one of my teles has a P-90 in the neck position.

[​IMG]

MisterZ and carpenter like this.
  17. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congratulations! You have been rewarded for your dedication.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats and good work, Larry!

May we all be blessed with your presence here.

LGOberean likes this.
  19. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations!! Change is impossible without discipline and commitment and you have been all in based on your positive test results. Wishing you continued success improving your health. By the way, you have every right to brag. What you have accomplished was hard work and you are now enjoying the benefits so shout it from the rooftops!!:)

LGOberean likes this.
  20. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Buddy. It aint braggin when its inspirational! As an “oldster” myself, that just put a big ole smile on my face reading it. Good on ya!!! I am missing my 2 beagles that have left this earth. Great companions for a walk. Very happy for you!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.