1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

UPDATE: Follow up doctor's visit...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Nov 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks like Noddy's finally got some competition - ;)

Happy Christmas in advance - Peace - Deeve

Wulf likes this.
  2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

thanks...thats a really nice thing to say...blushing now...awwwshucks
    Merry Christmas to you too!!!!
    Peace and hope for the future...All our Futures

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    Deeve likes this.
  3. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

As for Noddy...i hope he gets the collywobbles if he hears that song!

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Great story right there! I hope you stick to it, and keep right on getting better, and better.

LGOberean and Wulf like this.
  5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Very well done and keep on with your efforts!

Wulf likes this.
  6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@LGOberean I need to follow your regimen. You're really an inspiration and I'm not being facetious in the least. I'm around 210 now and have been told I'm pre-diabetic. I want to get down to about 180.

7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations. Go forth and be healthy

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Fantastic Larry !

I refused blood pressure medicine and lowered mine with exercise and lower sodium.

But - like you , I gotta go back and see if it’s held . And I need a checkup anyway .

Anyways - congrats !

9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations, it takes a lot of self discipline to do what you did.

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Got back a little while ago from our evening walk and checked back on this thread. I wish you the best in the pursuit of your goals. It's tough facing up, but facing such a diagnosis can be taken as a wake up call. For me, facing it, taking responsibility for it, strengthened my resolve to rectify the situation. And it took the six years to build up to my present status, with some bumps along the way.

But each of the successes, though small at first, laid the foundation for more success. Years ago, when I could barely manage walking to the end of the block and back, if you had told me that I'd be walking 3 miles a day and hiking 5-6 miles in state parks, I might have had a hard time keeping from laughing in your face. But here I am.

And some of those hikes are pretty strenuous because of terrain and elevation. My wife wears a FitBit when we walk or hike. Among other things like number of steps and distance in miles, it tells her about elevation. On our last trip in Garner State Park, we hiked two trails in a day, for a total of 5.2 miles. As for elevation gain, counted as though flights of stairs, we ascended the equivalent of 24 floors.

So it's not easy, and the results aren't instantaneous, but it can be done, and it does get easier. Easier if for no other reason than you're carrying less weight. Six years ago, I was something like 35 lbs. heavier. Think about that; it's like carrying a a Blues Junior around with you all day, every day, for everything you do.

It helps to have a positive attitude about it. As cliché as that sounds, it's true. My walking/hiking is a discipline, but it's not a drudgery. I enjoy walking, and the outdoors. I don't know if I could do this as effectively if was on a treadmill in some gym, with my only view being other machines with other sweaty guys on them. I love being outdoors, always have. Before I came to Corpus Christi, I'd lived in small Texas towns or on our family farm. I was forever tramping off into the woods, walking along a creek, going on camping trips as a Boy Scout, etc.

And I'm walking/hiking with my wife of 47 years, with our little dog Bella. I have much to be thankful for.

Good grief! I do go on, don't I?!? :oops: Thus endeth the sermon for this evening.

geoff_in_nc, Bob M and Wulf like this.
  11. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Larry... so happy to hear this news for you. Fantastic! And, I'll bet you feel fantastic too. Bravo and cheers to you.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Huge congratulations! Take control of your life and your body - its the vessel for your soul in this incarnation. You have the opportunity to do profound work on yourself while you have this physical body, so don't waste it!

13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

nothing wrong with having a good waffle on..for some of us this is the only chance we get to waffle...having lived alone for 10 years i do feel qualified to make that statement what with "the current shenanigans" we are to all intents prisoners of the porch here in england...cant even meet people in their back gardens for beer n chat for fear of some miserable curtain twitcher that might snitch on you...the "powers that be" are encouraging such things...i fear for where it may end...its like watching rome in denial of its own failure.
    More power to you though through grit and sheer willpower you are doing things to help yourself through a debillitating condition.
    My friend would be well served by reading your posts here
    hes up and down emotionally and physically with it
    you better keep up the good work your doing with your health...i look foreward to congratulating you for a full recovery
    Good Luck
    Skol
    Wulf
    PS...glad you liked the songs!

LGOberean likes this.
  14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I should have known better when I was younger. Heredity is of a course a factor in Type II diabetes, and there were diabetics in both my mother's and father's families. Thankfully, my children are very much aware of their family's medical history.

As for the willpower to keep it going, I sure hope to do so. That's the plan. Accountability will help with that resolve, I believe. To that end, I've posted this thread and posted my story also in my social media platforms. Hold me accountable, y'all.

41144 and Wulf like this.
  15. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Well done indeed. LGOberean.

Some illnesses you just got to take the meds... but, I think the reason so many GPs are so quick to medicate on some illnesses/disease is that they don't trust a patient that says they'll strictly follow a specified diet/exercise regime.

Therein lies the point, it takes determination to stick to diet/exercise and not revert to "bad habits".

Trust you're giving yourself a big pat on the back there....

16. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

good job and best wishes for a long happy life! those changes are not easy to make but you did it ;)

LGOberean likes this.
  17. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve been walking a lot, as advised to do by the surgeon “post op”. I usually hack out 3 to 4 miles a day with a longer one maybe twice a week.
    I had forgotten what great exercise walking is and how enjoyable it is.
    Keep up the good work - you’re an inspiration.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

sooo...doctors poison us on the premise we are either too lazy or stupid to be able to help ourselves...while cashing in on peoples ill health and misery...
    not unlike lawyers then...
    Vultures

19. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Well, no I don't agree with that at all.

Given the required efficacy for any prescription medicine, certainly in the UK, I really don't think any Doctor is likely to poison us and, again in this country, Doctors have no personal benefit in prescribing medication that they then "cash (sic) in on".

But, never under estimate the laziness/stupidity of some folk regarding their own health. eg, the burgeoning numbers of obese people around the world and the inherent health problems that causes - an issue entirely in the hands of the individual in the vast majority of cases. Being told to stop smoking/reduce alcohol ... and then don't heed the warnings with extreme consequences. etc

Which is a point (heeding warnings) I did omit in my first post. Say take obesity, even just being over-weight. For whatever reason you visit a Doctor and he/she tells you to lose weight or XYZ could happen. For a couple of weeks you reduce calories etc, then slowly revert back to your 'norm'. Months/years down the line XY &/or Z then happens!

According to one recent NHS/GP survey "... Of these patients, 60.3% had agreed a plan with a healthcare professional to manage their condition(s), similar to 2018 (60.4%), and over nine in ten (94.2%) found this plan (very or fairly) helpful in managing their condition(s)."

Which is good that 60% are compliant ... but that's 40% that aren't!

Wulf likes this.
  20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i agree...but having been misdiagnosed myself and put through treatments and tests and worry for an affliction i didnt even have...and the fact they kept fobbing my wife off..she died of cancer...for months you can understand my cynicism
    of course i wouldnt make a fuss...the NHS is starved of cash and resources as it is
    not all of us can say we have had favourable experiences with the medical profession

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:45 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.