1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

UPDATE: Follow up doctor's visit...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Nov 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good for you Larry.

I am currently diabetic as of a few months ago. So far not a lot of change to the diet, although not a lot of low hanging fruit there as far as I know at the moment. Definitely need to up my exercise game.

Cheers,
    Geoff

LGOberean likes this.
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

You look great man!!! Keep it up.. very inspiring.

Hope our paths can cross again soon... take care Larry...

LGOberean likes this.
  3. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I have had several friends/acquaintances who were on their way to being full blown diabetics. They were all given the advice your doctor gave you. How many of them followed through? Zip, zero, nada. But you did and my hat is off to you. Diabetes is a wicked, nasty disease. I would not wish it on anyone. Congratulations to you. I hope anyone reading your post will find some inspiration to take better care of themselves.

LGOberean likes this.
  4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

You can't keep a good man down .

LGOberean likes this.
  5. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Well done indeed.

LGOberean likes this.
  6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Forgot to mention the exercise regimen.

Actually, in a way I already have, because it can be summed up in one word: walking. When I started walking for fitness after the bypass surgery, my legs weren't very strong or stable. Also, my knees aren't great. So I started in our back yard just playing with the dog. From there, up and down my block. Then around the block. Then several blocks. Now, years later, it's up to a 3 mile walk in the evening. We live three blocks from the Corpus Christi Bay. Once there, we walk around the entire park (Cole Park), then back home again. That route is right at a 3 mile walk. Our pace is about 3 mph, my stride is about 31".

I also have some hand weights, 5 lbs. each. I've done some work with those to strengthen my core. But I'm proceeding cautiously with those. I have a torn bicep on both arms. I guess I should say I have "uniceps" now. (My doctor loved that joke.) When I flex my muscles now, I look cartoonish, like Popeye after the spinach. I asked my doctor about them yesterday, and the recommendation was to use those resistance bands instead. So that is probably my next thing.

GGardner and Wulf like this.
  7. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congratulations. I love hearing tales like this. Two years ago I was pushing 230 lbs (I'm 6'2") -heaviest I've been. Wake up call from the doctor - fatty liver, borderline diabetes. My doctor is around 85 - thin and still runs races. He told me to cut out the carbs, continue running and see what happens. I stopped drinking, stopped eating bread, pasta, etc. I upped my jogging regimen. I'm at 185 and running further than any time since I was 14. Reversed everything. Back to normal on all counts. It's hard work but it's gratifying to see the results.

Way to go!

GGardner, Wulf and LGOberean like this.
  8. LGOberean

If your friends are guitar players, you can appeal to them on that level. My kid brother, Buddy, who gigs for a living, is a diabetic as well. Exhortations from his older brother weren't seeming to have much impact on him.

But one thing that really got his attention lately was my telling him about Steve, a mutual guitarist friend down here (my brother lives 375 miles away) who is also a diabetic and recently had a stroke and lost the ability to play. He worked hard to relearn, only to have a second stroke that took it all away again. :cry:

That got Buddy's attention. I guess the idea that he might die was less scary to him than the prospect of losing the ability to play. Time will tell if it has a lasting impact.

GGardner, Wulf and telemnemonics like this.
  9. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Freaking awesome, dude. I have similar issues, but ongoing and at a lower level. You look happy in the photo. Congratulations...

Wulf, telemnemonics and LGOberean like this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That is fantastic news! Most people are too weak to really commit to a lifestyle change and make the moves necessary to save themselves.

You are a success story and proof that it can be done!

Wulf and LGOberean like this.
  11. LGOberean

Good for you! I don't know exactly how heavy I was at my worst. For years, I steadfastly avoided stepping on a set of scales, and I never went to the doctor. I think it was at least 205, and I'm not as tall as you: I'm 5'10". (Well, actually, the doctor's office says I'm 5'9" now, but I have my Texas driver's license that says I'm 5'10", so I'm going with that.:twisted:)

So I guess in the course of 6+ years, I've lost at least 36 lbs.

Wulf, jonnyfez and telemnemonics like this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I started developing the dreaded “dunlops disease” a couple of years ago and that was my motivation to change up my diet a bit.

I eat a pretty similar, I will say style rather than diet, as you described.
    Mostly protein fruits and vegetables with small whole grain carb portions twice a day.
    Fats are fine and the body needs fats.
    Refined carbs in excess and refined sugars seem to be the worst,and really those seem satisfying but it’s more like smoking crack than eating truly fine grub when we mow down the usual sugar and carbs based comfort and snack foods.

I get that you now love your salad topless, and my wife likes that way too.
    Let me start that again, a salad might be fine undressed, sorry.

You can make a delicious salad dressing real easy!
    I squeeze a lemon or two and put maybe one part lemon juice to two or three parts EV olive oil plus some salt. I cut chunks of garlic into the mixture and leave it refrigerated, then add another lemon and some olive oil and salt when I have a salad. I use a common plastic salad dressing bottle with the restricted opening so the garlic doesn’t fall out. Might get a month out of the garlic since it’s in a refrigerated sort of marinade. Can add a little vinegar too if desired or no lemons in the house.

I shred carrots in my salads too and I swear when I don’t eat refined sugar those salads are better than any dessert.

Wulf and LGOberean like this.
  13. LGOberean

I was happy in the photo. It was taken ten days ago, on my birthday, doing what I love to do: hiking in nature with my wife and my dog. Perfect way to spend my 67th birthday.

But I'm a little surprised you can tell I'm happy. No one has seen me smile in years. :twisted:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 6:55 PM
    Wulf and telemnemonics like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You know I wonder if it’s weakness or some other thing that makes it so hard to eat healthy and so easy to snack for comfort?

Society pushes the poor diet and friends tend to push us to indulge, as if socializing required constant intake of crap because what, we don’t really enjoy our friends that much?
    Seems like the obesity and diabetes epidemic followed the preservative based refined snack food and fast food chain explosion.

I think we can all do more than we know, but it’s literally like crack dealers are everywhere pushing harmful snacks that really aren’t as good as the resultant cravings scream in our brain, once we get hooked.

Peegoo and Wulf like this.
  15. LGOberean

Yeah, I've had people suggest making my own salad dressing. I'm glad that you mentioned it for the sake of others. But now I just really don't like a salad slathered with anything. It all started trying to find dressing I could eat at restaurants, and it quickly became apparent that it would be far easier to change my taste buds than find a sugar-less dressing. And as I said, now I absolutely prefer it that way.

Oh, and carrots? Before being diagnosed as a diabetic, I could barely taste them. Now I can taste their natural sweetness.

Wulf and telemnemonics like this.
  16. LGOberean

Thanks, Allen. Next trip out, I'll PM ya about about our plans, and hopefully we can meet up again.

17. LGOberean

Thank you one and all for your kind words.

Speaking of all this, it's supper time. A taco salad. So later, y'all...

18. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Congratulations, you deserve to brag!

LGOberean likes this.
  19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

oh no! not somebody choosing a path that leads to a continuous life of health and joyous living ?
    AND BRAGGING, SHARING THE GOOD NEWS, OH, OH, OH NOT THAT!

I'm about to breakout with the vapours.

Good for you trooper, brag away.

LGOberean likes this.
  20. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Your story is an inspiration. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes nearly 20 years ago. I seem to get a periodic scare and work on my diet and exercise and I get it on track. I love food too much! At any rate I need a spinal fusion operation and the neurosurgeon wouldn’t operate with my glucose level where it was. I’m back on the diet and this time I think I have the willpower to keep it going. I hope some of the younger guys on the forum pay attention to this thread. I was bullet proof when I was young and simply didn’t pay attention to the warning signs. Congrats on getting the upper hand on diabetes.

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.