1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

UPDATE: Follow up doctor's visit...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Nov 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

After a doctor’s visit on July 29th, I posted here. I just had a follow up visit/annual wellness appointment yesterday afternoon, and so I’m posting this as an update.

Backstory: I had a heart attack August 28, 2014. At the same time, I was diagnosed with uncontrolled Type II diabetes. Two days later, I had a quadruple bypass. It was a definite wake up call. I took responsibility for my actions that led to my condition, and took steps (figuratively and literally) to change it.

I wanted to do as natural an approach as I could, and getting doctors to go along with that was a challenge at first. But 3+ years ago I found a medical practice that wasn’t about just pushing drugs, and I have thrived under their care.

I changed my mindset and therefore lifestyle, and started improving my glucose readings. I was losing some weight, too, although that was but a happy byproduct of my purpose, getting healthy and living without drugs. As I progressed, my doctor reduced my dosage of Metformin, from 2,250 mg (3 x 750 mg tablets twice daily) eventually down to 500 mg (1 tab per day).

Then, at an appointment in September of 2019, as the director and founder of the medical practice was reviewing my records, he made a statement that really challenged me, so much so that I can still quote him verbatim: “You are an excellent candidate for reversing your Type II diabetes with diet and exercise.” (Emphasis his.)

Well, challenge accepted. I maintained healthy eating habits, and I steadily upped the level of exercise I do, to the point that now I walk at least 3 miles per day in town, and more like 5-6 miles per day hiking when I go on camping trips. In addition to diet and exercise, I followed his counsel to do intermittent fasting. I eat my supper at 5:30 pm, give or take, and while watching a program will eat an apple for dessert. Then nothing but water until I break the fast the next morning.

So, returning to that appointment on July 29th, my A1C was then 5.7%, right on the cusp of normal range. My doctor took me off Metformin, and said to schedule an appointment in six months to see how I was managing sans drugs. And for three months, I’ve done just that, managed my glucose levels by diet & exercise, sans drugs.

On the 5th of this month, I had lab work done, and yesterday afternoon had a follow up appointment/annual wellness checkup with my doctor, and I got the results of that lab work. My (fasting) glucose reading at the time of the lab test was 95 mg/dL, my A1C was 5.2% (a reading completely within a normal/non-diabetic range). My total cholesterol was 142, my HDL was 45, LDL 85. Triglycerides, 42. PSA, 1.7. White blood cell count, 4.0, red blood cell count, 4.37.

Oh, and my disciplines of eating right & exercising have been done to be healthier and get off the drugs, not specifically to lose weight. But as I said, I have lost weight as a result, but again that is but a byproduct of my lifestyle change. My weight yesterday was 169 lbs. (as it also was this morning), my BMI 25.0 (Smart BMI 36/70).

I’m celebrating just a bit here, indulging myself by posting about this here on TDPRI. But a case could probably be made that in truth I am bragging just a bit. Okay, maybe more than just a bit. So if you've read this self-indulgent post, thanks for reading this and putting up with my indulgence/bragging.

11-11-2020 - Bella & me at Lost Maples.jpg

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Great, and here's hoping for continued good health for years to come!

Flip G and LGOberean like this.
  3. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

FANTASTIC! it sounds like you've ideal advisors, who talked to you in exactly the right ways. I bet, too, you don't miss your gut laying in your lap and your thighs spilling all over the toilet seat. You do look great! Congratulations!

LGOberean likes this.
  4. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations, you skinny, non-diabetic thang, you! BTW, it ain't brag if it's fact!

envirodat, Wulf and LGOberean like this.
  5. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

You done good. Somethin' to crow about for sure.

It looks like you are wearing out your dog though.

Lake Placid Blue, Wulf and LGOberean like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great news!

Lake Placid Blue, Wulf and LGOberean like this.
  7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So good to hear this good news. Actions into results...I'll remember your story Larry.

Wulf and LGOberean like this.
  8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Im glad that things are looking positive
    my mate was diagnosed with potentially fatal type 2 diabetes...his legs and feet are numb from it.
    he decided to write a song about it.
    hes the man singing im playing bass...enjoy...i think it will make you smile

Digital Larry and LGOberean like this.
  9. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

and just to make you smile again.
    oh...little jazzmaster solo and rhythm in there for you...we sort of chucked everything and the kitchen sink taps and plug at this...including 6string banjo

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

:lol:
    Yeah, I was suffering from Dunlop's disease, as in "My bellly done lopped over my belt." :oops:

:)

Made me think of this...

11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Good for you! Getting back to regular exercise in spite of arthritis has certainly done wonders for my head.

Here's to many more years of good health for you.

12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Brag away, my friend! You deserve it. The hard work and sacrifices have paid off!

telemnemonics, Wulf and LGOberean like this.
  13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

And just incase i dont make it till then..Merry Christmas
    My vocals on this
    Best Wishes for the future from Deep North
    Oh...watch out for Robin Redbreast in there...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 4:51 PM
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Truly awesome!

I really never use that word but here you should be an inspiration to all who think what you did can’t be done by mere mortals!

Seriously, seems like doctors have given up on the better ideal of us taking responsibility for our health, because there’s a war against us telling us we need endless snacks while Alexa changes the channel and roomba cleans up the crumbs.

You’re a poster boy Larry!
    Bragging is a public service!

LGOberean likes this.
  15. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

So what’s the secret diet?

LGOberean likes this.
  16. LGOberean

Yes, it is rare to find doctors that advocate natural methodologies. The first cardiologist I had just wouldn't listen to me. I told him, "Look. I want to do as much as I can to turn my health around. If it doesn't work, I'll admit it and do what I need to do to survive."

He just dismissed it, and prescribed whatever name brand drug they advertise the heck out of on TV. (There's a racket for ya; Big Pharma advertises straight to the public, but you have to get a doctor to prescribe it.) My wife asked if there was a generic alternative, and he was again dismissive, insisted it had to be the expensive one. He then told me had samples, and gave me some. And with that, my 3-5 doctor's visit was up. I paid my bill, threw the drugs away and never did business with him again.

So when I found the medical practice I'm with now, it was like a godsend. This is their motto...

[​IMG]

teletimetx, telemnemonics and Wulf like this.
  17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Eat Well and Be Well
    Be Well and Eat Well
    And Always try to think of the Positive
    I like that philosophy

Obsessed and LGOberean like this.
  18. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Great story! Congrats. Could you share details about your diet and exercise regime?

telemnemonics and LGOberean like this.
  19. LGOberean

It's not a diet in the sense of some name brand/packaged system, e.g., Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Atkins, South Beach, paleo, keto, ad infinitum. It's based on principles, not packaging.

In the past 6+ years, with my wife's help, we've learned what works for both of us. (She had her annual wellness checkup yesterday, too. She got a good report as well, but mine was more dramatic given my progress from diabetic to where I am today.)

One thing that helps greatly is we almost never eat out. Even on our camping trips, our travel trailer has a fridge & freezer, a pantry and a two-burner stove and microwave, so we almost never eat out on those trips. So we control our diet. No cokes (or pop, soda or whatever you call those carbonated beverages in your neck of the woods), no processed sugar. Beyond that, common sense. And a lot of the common sense aspect has been to condition myself to eat less. That was hard at first, now after more than a year, it's just second nature.

I can tell you about typical meals. Breakfast is my most consistent meal, in that I almost never vary what I eat. I start every morning having two eggs, sausage or bacon, a half slice of toasted and buttered (real butter only) Ezekiel bread (sprouted, whole grain), all with my "hot black friend" (coffee).

Lunch might be a salad with grilled chicken. I use no dressing whatsoever on my salad. When I started eating more salads, I tried to get dressings that didn't have any added sugar in them. That's almost impossible to find, so I learned to like a salad without any dressing, now I that's the only way I'll eat one. Lunch could also be an open-faced grilled cheese (slice of Ezekiel bread) & pork rinds, or a burger with no bun, or hot dogs (again, no bun, and only Hebrew National brand) and black-eyed peas.

Supper (or dinner or whatever you call the evening meal in your neck of the woods) might be chicken, fish or steaks for the main course (or entrée, or whatever you call it in your neck of the woods), with various green vegetables or mixed vegetables or a salad for the sides. Or it could be my wife's homemade beef stew, or a taco salad (with avocados, ground beef & salsa, but no corn chips).

For dessert, I'll most often have an apple with a bit of almond butter.

And as I said, all of this is before 6:30 to 7pm. Then fasting until at least 12 hours later.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 5:55 PM
  20. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Well done. Good medical advice and willpower to follow it, goes a long way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.