1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Upcoming Tony Alva doc (Josh Brolin was a skater ?)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

This trailer cut seems very rote/full of skate doc tropes but - it’s about Alva so until I see the whole thing, I won’t judge.

Was Josh Brolin in a skate movie in the 80’s ? Who knows ? (I checked outta skating for 20 years so I missed a lot) But he’s in this doc.

bender66 and BorderRadio like this.
  2. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Brolin was in the movie “Thrashin’”
    Can’t recall if he did any of the actual skating. Good movie actually if you were a skater.

jh

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Dude...You've never seen "Thrashin'"?? Its a classic!

Steve Caballero, Christian Hosoi, and Tony Hawk are in it too.

Bella and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Think I still have my Alva board in my parents attic.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Hah '86 was even a bit late for me.

There was an earlier 70s skate movie, similar premise, IIRC. Wimpy non-skater becomes a winner against the mean team from across town, or whatever? I vaguely remember that. Guy coming down the sidewalk, going through the cones? I remember when that was pretty much the crux of skateboarding. Pipes and pools didn't really get to be considered normal until early 80s. I'll have to see if I could dig it up.

EDIT: Yes, yes! I remember! Skateboard. With Leif Garrett :lol:. Tony Alva had a bit part in it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076721/

GAWDBLESS Youtube

bender66, Mike Eskimo and matmosphere like this.
  6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Wha!! I’ve never seen either of those but I probably watched Gleaming the Cube a couple thousand times when I was young. Back in the late eighties/early nineties my preteen, suburban self couldn’t find anybody to skate with so I latched onto everything skateboard related that I could find.

I had that movie, and a couple of dubs of early Powell Perelta videos I copied from the local video store. I would’ve killed for a copy and f thrashin.

ironically Alien Workshop was getting started about 5 miles away.

picked up a deck a few years ago Tried a couple of tricks (I can still ollie!) then put some ice on my old man knees.

Mike Eskimo and ElJay370 like this.
  7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve still got a Logan Earth Ski, that’s my oldest surviving deck.

One of the movies you may be thinking of is this:

8. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

Around our neighborhood no one had a skateboard or desire to have one..We had plenty of hills also but everyone had bikes..Kind of weird now that I think about it..

This would have been in the late 60's into the 70's

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I just finished watching the two Dogtown movies. The documentary and the theatrical one. Reminds me of my misspent youth.

Growing up in Connecticut I would study every picture in the skateboard magazines. Tony Alva was pretty prominent as I recall. Unfortunately, pools around Connecticut were those rectangle ones so we only dreamed of pool riding.

bender66, ArcticWhite and Mike Eskimo like this.
  10. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

also had a rad performance by the Chili Peppers!!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  11. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dogtown and Z-boys.

Great documentary from the Alva/Peralta/Adams era.

- Bob

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow does anybody still care?
    I was in the majority of skaters not living in Cali and grew out of it before the pipes and cement parks spread.
    We did have a fiberglass skate park nearby though and I drove my $50 VW Beetle there every week with my buddy Clay.
    He always had more road rash than me, lost much of the skin off his face over time.
    I ended up getting hurt worse though in an upside down air event where my board was no longer under me and I dropped maybe 25 feet.
    I had more cash flow than Clay and still have my Mike Weed autograph board with Tracker Mid Tracks and I think bones powell wheels that replaced a few other sets I wore out.
    I was out when the little wheels came in and I loved the Sims Comp II wide wheels.

I also still have my '60s Bing surfboard up in the garage.
    Thanks for posting!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

They just built - w/the help of $250,000 from Tony Hawk - a seriously rad skatepark in a beautiful park about a mile from my house.

About 15 yrs too late for me.

Right after the Dogtown doc, I bought a couple decks and started skating everywhere , especially when my wife took long walks with our infant son. My knees were pretty trashed but all the rest was still there.

But the “parks” and/or ramps around me then were crap and I never transitioned (no pun intended) back into vert.

But a lot of older dudes did. Especially those who skated in the 80’s , which undeniably was the hey day of the whole thing .

telemnemonics and matmosphere like this.
  14. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I saw that! Century theatre Dubbo NSW Australia. Cost 2 dollars to go to the Saturday matinee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Dog Town and Zboys was almost painful for me to watch, when it premiered 19 years ago.
    I'm about the same age as Peralta, Alva, Adams, etc. I grew up in Atlanta, skating the suburban streets, and plywood ramps in my friend's driveways.
    Once a month I'd spend an afternoon devouring the latest issue of Skateboarder magazine, memorizing the pictures, the moves, the awesomeness, courtesy of the Z-boys and Craig Stecyk, the gifted photographer who brought it all to life.

Locked in a 70's suburban landscape, devoid of skateparks, dry swimming pools, storm pipes etc. I knew those guys' pictures like I knew my own friends. I saw what they had, and like Henry Rollins says in the movie, I wanted THAT.

That right there. California. Half pipes. Sun, tan bodies, surfboards, pot, long bleached hair.
    Endless summer.
    God.
    The agony.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    ElJay370, Mike Eskimo and bender66 like this.
  16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

never made it to the newer boards/bowls... concentrated on surfing, much softer landings...:D

roller skate wheels screwed to wood planks and road/garage skating...anything with a hill/slope to the concrete...

ArcticWhite likes this.
  17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Still got a couple decks here from the 80's, my Lance Mountain. I grew up in IA pouring over all those Skateboarder mags, & I still have a couple boxes worth. I still get that happiness from looking them over that I did 40yrs ago.

I have that black & white centerfold mentioned in the trailer. That was a fantastic ad. Black leather & Budweisers...

After I'd moved to CA I was skating Flower St ditch in Orange County. Duane Peters showed up. I could only watch as at the time, this was as close to my heroes as I'd ever gotten in my 22 years. The world got real small.

ArcticWhite likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.