Upcoming Projects

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
Several weeks ago I took delivery of about $200 USD in transformers in addition to a ClassicTone Marshall Transformer set and some old hammond organ pulls that I already had on hand.

I posted on my youtube channel about some upcoming projects that will use these transformers and an unassembled bee box.

A lot of the transformer types are new to me so it will be interesting to see how they work out for budget-minded projects.

Feel free to skip / fast forward / or do my favorite and play the video at 1.5x speed.

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
I mentioned near the end of the video the combination of Minwax Bombay Mahogany Gloss and the Oxblood/GoldStripe Grill cloth. Here's an old radio that I refinished in that combination for reference.

Now if I could only find some nice knobs that would fit the radio.

20151005_205643.jpg

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
Spoilers since there haven't been many comments: (With links to associated video section)

Vox AC4 (Top Boost Only) - Parts Bin build. Using some old caps and resistors along with a Hammond Fender 6G15 Reverb Power Transformer and a Mojotone Champ Output Transformer (4 ohm tap with 2x8" speakers). I'll likely house this in the Bee Box cabinet mentioned at the end of the video.

Vox AC10 (Top Boost Only) - This would be my take on the Vox AC10C1. I have been very critical of Vox's implementation of the AC10C1, so this is my attempt to build an All-tube AC10 without a choke, and with all three tube sections of the Top Boost Channel intact while still "skimping" and using only two preamp tubes like the AC10C1. There won't be any reverb, but there are cheap reverb pedals out there, right? The Power Transformer will be a Fender Blues Junior replacement transformer and I'll reuse an output transformer for a Hammond Organ.

Vox AC50 or Marshall JTM45 - I pulled some 7591 output tubes and accompanying transformers from some old Hammond organs. I also pulled some Chokes from the same Organs. I recently upgraded the power transformer on my Marshall JMP 1987 so I now have a spare. I would love to hear a Vox AC50 (top boost channel) in person. Maybe I'll do a JTM45 with the other 7591/OT pair.

Marshall JMP 1987 Replica - This will utilize possibly the last available ClassicTone Transformer set. It will be built properly with a MetroAmp chassis, and modernish mustard style capacitors. This will replace my current Mojotone based 1987 which is current under repair.

1-2 Watt Single-end amplifier - This one will utilize a Fender 25K:8R reverb transformer. I haven't decided on a circuit yet, but it would be cool to hook this one up to a Theremin kit that my kids gave me recently. The Power transformer will be a problematic transformer I have on hand that has too little voltage to work well in a EL84/6V6 single-ended amp.

Unassembled Bee Box - For a quick/cheap cabinet. Likely for the 2x8 AC4 listed above. Will use the Minwax Bombay Mohagany Gloss with Oxblood cloth with Gold Stripe.

Last edited: