Upcoming Kirn Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Unionjack515, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Funny, yes I am. But the Schecters didn't influence this Tele build at all, oddly enough. That happens to be the only one of those Strats outside of Pete's hands, unless he's sold some of his own.

2. Unionjack515

Have been playing on and off all day today. I have been waiting on this Tele to try and work out the solo from Today on Dave Gilmour's new record. In the process of working on the tone for it, I am coming to the conclusion that I absolutely LOVE the sound of these pickups. The perfect balance of Tele spank from the bridge and Les Paul roundness from the neck. And soooo articulate. If I can find any fault it's a slight output imbalance between the two but that's to be expected I suppose. I'll make some adjustments here and there with pickup height and at least make it better. I may not tinker too much though as I really like the clarity I'm getting from the humbucker right now. Ron certainly sets the action low low low in his setups. I'm getting used to it. Consequently, some of those Gilmour 1.5 step bends are a little tricky--definitely harder than my Strats for getting my fingertips under the next string to get the full bend.

And the neck...oh the neck. It's a modern C profile but has more girth than either of my Strat necks. Not quite the girth that my R8 has but definitely somewhere in between. And it doesn't feel as though there's much taper toward the nut. Glad I've got big hands. It's a very nice fit.

3. Unionjack515

Snapped a couple pics of my neck today. Can't stop looking down at it when the light hits it right...[​IMG][​IMG]

Norrin Radd and TeleMan59 like this.
  4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

Oh my! That is pretty. :)

5. Unionjack515

Thank you! I've been on a Huey Lewis kick lately...random I know. I came across this lovely little cover and thought the Tele tone was pretty fantastic. My middle position tone is darn close. Add some compression, a fairly heavy-handed amount of reverb and some delay, and I'm there.

lesterfan likes this.
  6. Unionjack515

Figured this was the appropriate thread to post this to, given it’s how this one started life. THIS is how the original guitar was SUPPOSED to be built. Now it’s finally a reality for me. I asked for a few key changes: first and foremost, a maple CAP instead of a chinsy maple veneer. This allowed the masked binding to be…what a concept…1/4” of actual flame maple exposed. Next, a Brazilian rosewood fretboard. Added a contour neck heel to this. And finally, omitted the burst finish on the neck. Thank you Mario Martin for getting this right!

upload_2021-6-7_19-58-17.png
    upload_2021-6-7_19-58-39.png
    upload_2021-6-7_19-59-5.png
    upload_2021-6-7_19-59-33.png

fattboyzz likes this.
  7. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Hopefully the Kirn that you started this thread about will get passed on in a good deal to someone who can be happy with it now that you have it's replacement. It's because of folks like you that folks like me get to afford a nice guitar from a small builder that we couldn't afford to purchase new otherwise.

Thank you!

Greggorios and Unionjack515 like this.
  8. Unionjack515

Yes of course. It was passed along, if I recall correctly, at about $0.70/$1.00. And I got the original pickups back so they’re in the new guitar. I was happy to have it out of my collection and happier it went to a guy who passed along some really good feedback about it. It was a great guitar but I just couldn’t support his work any longer. Happy to have moved on. Thanks for the comment and that gives me a another positive perspective on the whole experience. All’s well that ends well!

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Well, likewise, I figure this is an appropriate thread to post in…

I haven’t engaged in this kind of discourse in quite a while now… there’s just no advantage in doing so, but UnionJack seems not to be able to let an opportunity to “throw a dart” my way pass, and this time there seems to be a bit of vitriol present, so . . .

Since often details can slip into the black hole of cognitive recollection, here’s some of the “rest of the story”.

In early 2016 the charcoal with the flame top was delivered, Brian loved it… I had apprised him of its progression as it was being built with photos and, with no objections, I continued.

Perhaps I’m misreading it, but the suggestion that it was supposed to have the headstock tinted to match the body and did not, piques my curiosity, because as seen in the photos I have attached of the original build, that’s what I delivered. Also, the suggestion there was to be false binding around the edges is equally interesting because I just checked the original work order and it specifies NO binding, Faux or otherwise.

But, If some specific detail was wanted, then perhaps, were it discussed, and specified, if would have been delivered, What a concept.

The inference is that the guitar was delivered, built to the wrong specifications. Interesting since it was used for two years as a predicate for ordering a second, and only after the second was delivered, did any issues in the first. If the you wanted was to be like the Mario Guitar,, all ya had to do was specify so… and during the build as photos were forwarded, if ya saw something that missed the mark, . . . now here’s a concept too.. you could have said something to the effect, “Hold on, something’s wrong.” but did ya?? NooOOoooOo .

I mean.. really.. Did YOU screw up. Or change your mind… and are now blaming me for your equivocation?

One can deduce that was why there were no derogatory comments about it for the two years, before ordering the one that did have false binding. In fact, it was praised to the extent that second guitar was ordered.

Now, yes, I do use a very high-grade veneer, unless “you” specify something different like a 1/4-inch-thick piece of wood... The reasons, it’s far less time consuming to find a very high grade figured veneer and, few realize it is also far more difficult to apply. Equally important, it’s less likely to interfere sonically. But for some reason many think the thicker cap is “better”. I do not agree.

When applying a “cap” of ¼ - ¾ thick, it’s not a problem, you’re just gluing a second “board” to the top of the body. Ya slap glue on both the cap and the body, clamp and forget about it, until dry. Sometimes it is necessary when doing one with a lot of carving, but doing a piece of 1/16” thick veneer is Not quite as simple.

How many of ya would want a body, described thus, a one piece substrate with a two piece top.. or call it a 3 piece body?

But that aside, there is also the sonic calculus, i.e. the length of a note’s sound wave is a factor. . . or, do you really want the cap's sonic qualities to overwhelm the sonic properties of whatever has been chosen as the body? And that is the genesis of my rationale.

The low E, or the 6th string open has a sound wave with a distance of roughly 13.7 feet from apex to apex..

Now that’s not a problem unless your body is thicker than 13 + feet… and it’s not really an issue with a ¼ inch cap..

But… consider, get up there to C# at the 21st fret on the E first and now… that distance drops to about 12 inches for the fundamental, considerably less as the octaves ring..

That’s still not a problem, because we have been discussing the fundamental notes… but, they produce overtones and/or harmonics do they not? It’s the very part of a note we pay the larger prices for quality instruments…

Note, it’s that upper register where the openness, the “cut through the mix” quality, the articulation, or definition ALL occur…

Now since the average quality amp only produces sound to about 6000Hz… nothing in the hyper short ranges above 6k is germane… but… approach the highest threshold within the range of the typical amp and the distance can drop to fractions of an inch… easily within the range of a thicker top vs that of a sonically invisible cap 1.5 mm thick.

Point, I use a thinner cap for specific reasons, but even at that, when someone dictates they require a thick hunk of wood, I accommodate. It just did not come up.

Lutherie is an art form, and just like in fine art where one artist may paint on wood planks, and another on canvas, either choice does not mean the Picasso is any less superior Art than the Michelangelo.

It just absolutely stunned me that someone would sell a guitar they had played and loved for 2 years, because a second guitar, that initially received praise had a cap of a thickness that had never come up in discussion. It could not be seen in the first…

However, I recognize and have commented thus often, if some negative thought creeps into your brain… its damn near impossible to dismiss it, it will loiter within the crevices of the grey goo, forever nagging, pricking your awareness, just gnawing at that sore spot until ya do something…

I’m really disappointed that Brian, with whom I had an excellent rapport, found fault with my interpretation of how the cap should be incorporated into the sonic “soup” that gives the guitar a voice.

Ron

DSC_2011.JPG DSCN0024.JPG

P Thought and Greggorios like this.
  10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

in retrospect.. I can postulate that perhaps the whole debacle was generated by a disappointment... looking at the photos of the second build.. I recall that pretty much all the hardware was supplied. However one part, a particularly beautiful pickguard was quite simply made to incorrect metrics... after much "back and forth" a replacement was selected.

Since I am an apostle of "Things must be right" because if not they get in your head and rattle around like a wheelbarrow full of Beer Cans, I can only wonder if that's what happened here... Brian didn't like the pickguard, the one We agreed to substitute, and that set him off...

This is one of the reasons I have over the past 20 years reminded ya all to be very careful when sourcing aftermarket parts.. some guy's idea of "made to OEM specs" can make ya wonder exactly who's OEM was he thinking of. In the last shot, the Tortoise shell pickguard IS a genuine Fender part for comparison.. I sent all of these to Brian. I tend not to keep such things a secret.. :p

Incidentally This is the guitar that was the coup de grâce that set him off... the one ordered two years after the initial grey guitar.. :rolleyes:

DSC_4689.jpeg

Attached Files:

P Thought and Greggorios like this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Poor form on his part, from the first "dart", but @Unionjack515 is 'way overdue for a new dartboard. I don't think most of us here think any less of you over this, Ron, and I doubt we're the only two who are tired of the mudslinging.

eallen and Greggorios like this.
  12. Unionjack515

Makes all the sense in the world for Ron to defend his work and process, and I wouldn’t expect any different from the legions of fans on these forums. But folks looking for builders should also hear from customers who weren’t that happy with their experience. That is the nature of doing business. There will be happy customers and unhappy customers. As I’ve said here, I’m happy for the people who were satisfied with their guitars from him. This is no different than coming on the forum to voice your displeasure with the Fender Custom Shop or Gibson M2M or whoever else. Ron absolutely has every right to defend what he did, and I’ve got every right to state the facts about what I experienced.

I was very happy with the instrument he built when I received it and didn’t have any reason to open up the control cavity for two years or however long I had it. So consequently I had no reason to complain for two years. Yes, I was so happy with it in fact, that I decided to order another. Unfortunately during the second order, things started to raise eyebrows and those suspicions were confirmed when I got the second guitar, which led me to discovering his use of veneer on both.
    Anyway. I wouldn’t expect any different a response, given all his satisfied customers. They’re right to share their experiences just like I’m right to share mine.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    chezdeluxe likes this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe, but you said your piece repeatedly two years ago, and now here you are again. You've gone beyond the palings, well past your duty to fellow consumers. No class.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.